Do you like Scott Westerfeld

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Do you like Scott Westerfeld

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:
gali wrote:Can't you find the book in your library? :)
No, I can't. :( I live in Japan and it's hard to come across books in English here. Not even sure if the book is translated to Japanese or not, but it doesn't matter because I can't read Japanese. Boo.
A pity. :(
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:I love Scott Westerfield! I always forget about him, though, because he's not a huge, household name that everyone and their grandma knows. But the Uglies series was super good. And the Midnighters series was pretty good too. I planned on reading all of his other books, but I just never got around to it. Yet.
I just got the first Midnighters. I noted it when it first came out but then lost track.
Now I can't wait to try it.

The Uglies was supposedly being adapted...not sure where that went, I've been waiting on the Wicked Lovely adaptation for years...still waiting. Ugh!

Anyway last I heard it was being made. I'll have to check into it again.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I actually brought paper copies of the Midnighters (first two books only) with me when I moved to Japan. They're still sitting in my closet. I never had a paper copy of the third one though... only digital, still on my Kindle. Hee hee.

Wicked Lovely! That's another series that sounded so good! I discovered that on this site as well. OMG, I am never going to run out of things I want to read now!
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

I have just read Uglies, which is the first in a series. It I didn't expect to like it, since it is classified as "Young Adult" and I am 67. I began reading it to a 12-year-old at her bedtime, and was quickly hooked. Imagine a society where everyone gets an operation for their 16th birthday to make them beautiful. Before this takes place, they are considered ugly. This is a big adventure. There are a few that do not want the operation, and they have heard that there is a place far from their futuristic city called the Smoke, where some run away to and live as they want to. The story focuses on Tally, who becomes friends with Shay, who is deciding to run away to the Smoke, and wants Tally to go with her. There isn't a boring page.
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I have mixed feelings on Scott Westerfield. His Leviathan series was FANTASIC, but I didn't like Uglies at all. I've heard good things about Midnighters, though, so I might give those a try.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Post by lovelyreader21 »

I love his work! Uglies is certainly his most well-known work, but the rest of his stuff is fantastic, in my opinion. I was disappointed a bit by "Leviathan", but "So Yesterday" was surprisingly fantastic (I read it just after I finished Leviathan, so my hopes were a bit low).
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

He is my favorite author! I got hooked with Uglies way back in seventh/eighth grade and then from there have read most things by him. Sadly I have yet to read Leviathan but it is on my TBR. I finished reading his new book, Afterworlds, not long ago and it was not a disappointment!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
Nine

Post by Nine »

Amber098724 wrote:I heard about the Uglies series being good. So I just ordered it the other day. I hope I'm not disappointed. Anyone else here read that series?
I borrowed all three books from the UGLY series by Scott Westerfeld from a friend. She loved it, i didn't. Honestly, the idea behind the story had so much potential, but the plot was poorly constructed and delivered just as badly. It took me a good month to force myself through the story and by then I just couldn't bother reading the second or the third book.
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

I didn't know his wife wrote that is interesting I should check it out. Thanks for the tip Alyssamerwin although I don't think you're still active here.

I like the uglies series but I read it years ago! Don't know if I would like it anymore to be completely honest. Maybe i should reread seeing as I have them all.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Nine wrote:
I borrowed all three books from the UGLY series by Scott Westerfeld from a friend. She loved it, i didn't. Honestly, the idea behind the story had so much potential, but the plot was poorly constructed and delivered just as badly. It took me a good month to force myself through the story and by then I just couldn't bother reading the second or the third book.
Really?? Wow. I thought just the opposite. You have very high standards. 8)
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

I remember reading Uglies in like 8th grade and I liked it but it sort of confused me at the time. I am 18 now so I am thinking about getting back into that series because I have heard such good things about it! I want to give it another shot but there are like 4 books in the series and they are all huge books! Worth it?
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

jordyn21 wrote:I remember reading Uglies in like 8th grade and I liked it but it sort of confused me at the time. I am 18 now so I am thinking about getting back into that series because I have heard such good things about it! I want to give it another shot but there are like 4 books in the series and they are all huge books! Worth it?
I think they go by really fast!
abookishblogger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abookishblogger.html

Post by abookishblogger »

I haven't got the most knowledge of Scott Westerfeld, all I know is that the UGLIES series is on my 'to-buy' list. I've read his book Afterworlds, and I loved it, it was so good! That six-hundred page book took me two school days to finish. I loved the concept and found myself not being able to put the book down!

To wrap it up, I do like Scott Westerfeld, although one book is not exactly enough to capitalize my opinion on him.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Around November, I am reminded of why I love him!
He always support NaNoWriMo, which I am also a big supporter of, so I appreciate how he is always involved with that every year. It's nice to know that he is such a nice guy aside from being a pretty good writer.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

The leviathon series is immmaculate young adult steam punk material. Honestly, it's bloody brilliant. Loveable characters, excellent tech, verdant world. Read it.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Return to “Discuss Authors”