Do you like Scott Westerfeld

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bluegirl123876
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you like Scott Westerfeld

Post by bluegirl123876 »

Loved the Midnighters series by him

He should make one more book because the ending was good but, sad
alyssamerwin

Post by alyssamerwin »

I'm not a big fan of Scott Westerfeld, I read Leviathan and didn't like it as much as I thought I would but I liked Uglies. But his wife, Justine Larbalestier, write really good books. Have you read any of them.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

What does he write about?
Amber098724

Post by Amber098724 »

I heard about the Uglies series being good. So I just ordered it the other day. I hope I'm not disappointed. Anyone else here read that series?
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:What does he write about?
Scott Westerfeld mainly writes 'steampunk' books. He has written quite a lot of series, e.g. Succession (‘epic’ rumour has it), Midnighters (also in Manga), Uglies, etc. Mostly for teens I think. The Leviathan series mentioned has two books, “Leviathan” and “Behemoth” with book 3 “Goliath” coming out in August. They sound exciting. From what I’ve been told, I could handle the Leviathan series but possibly not the others; Midnighters for example is very Sooky Stackhouse, Immortals, PC Cast style and the Uglies series feature 15 year old girl protagonists.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Simworm
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: White Noise - Don DeLillo
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Simworm »

I quite like Scott Westerfeld. I've only read The Midnighters and Peeps. The Midnighters is a series that has stuck in my mind and I read them four years ago. I found his writing was very easy to read, and probably more for a young adult audience.
winsomefish
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winsomefish.html

Post by winsomefish »

I really like what I've read by him. Uglies is good, but I think it's more of a Middle Grade YA than a mature one. It's still a good story and has some really deep themes in it, but the prose is a bit simplistic. I remember I liked the Midnighters series because it seemed older than Uglies, but my opinion on Midnighters might be incorrect because I haven't read it since middle school. I should probably check out some of his other stuff.
Thomas Tham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomas-tham.html

Post by Thomas Tham »

I think Uglies is good. After reading, it makes me wonder would this world as we know it transform into the world like that and such.
Midnighters is also good but the ending is really saddening cause if it were up to me I would not have been able to do what the character did.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I love Scott Westerfield! I always forget about him, though, because he's not a huge, household name that everyone and their grandma knows. But the Uglies series was super good. And the Midnighters series was pretty good too. I planned on reading all of his other books, but I just never got around to it. Yet.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read his Leviathan series and loved it! I plan to read his Uglies series as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

gali wrote:I have read his Leviathan series and loved it! I plan to read his Uglies series as well.
I haven't read the Leviathan series but highly recommend the Uglies series! You will love it! I think I bought it in paperback and loved it so much I bought it again years later for my Kindle. I really want to go back and read it again! 8)
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:
gali wrote:I have read his Leviathan series and loved it! I plan to read his Uglies series as well.
I haven't read the Leviathan series but highly recommend the Uglies series! You will love it! I think I bought it in paperback and loved it so much I bought it again years later for my Kindle. I really want to go back and read it again! 8)
Thank you and I will. :)

I highly recommend Leviathan series and think you will love it as well!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

gali wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:
Thank you and I will. :)

I highly recommend Leviathan series and think you will love it as well!
Wah!!! I just went to Amazon for it, and it's too expensive for me! I'm poor. Can I borrow it? Hahaha, j/k 8)
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Wah!!! I just went to Amazon for it, and it's too expensive for me! I'm poor. Can I borrow it? Hahaha, j/k 8)
Can't you find the book in your library? :)
A retired Admin/Mod

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

gali wrote:Can't you find the book in your library? :)
No, I can't. :( I live in Japan and it's hard to come across books in English here. Not even sure if the book is translated to Japanese or not, but it doesn't matter because I can't read Japanese. Boo.

Return to “Discuss Authors”