Does anyone thing the Nicholas Spark is like a GREAT WRITER?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jamilamosi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Does anyone thing the Nicholas Spark is like a GREAT WRITER?

Post by jamilamosi »

He writes great books, I just want to know hwy everyone of his books, get turned into movies, when they seem to all be basically the same story about love...and there are so many other books out there with great ideas and written so beautifully like lovely bones that would make GREAT books..yet every damn NIcholas SPARK BOOk is a movie!! I didn't even know Nicholas Sparks wrote The Notebook...till I saw night in rodanthe...

weird just weird.. LOVE the movies though.. DEAAR JOHN AWESOME!!! i havent picked up abook yet.
Amelia

Post by Amelia »

I'm not sure if Nicholas Sparks a 'great' writer.
The books are easy to get through and fairly simple stories, which makes for a great read. Does that a great writer make?
The fact they're so simple is what makes his stories into such popular movies. The stories translate really well. I think the love/relationship concept Sparks always uses is ok- how many songs are about love and relationships? Its what people want to think, talk and know about. It's all Jane Austen ever wrote about (Maybe Lady Susan deviated a bit from that), and she is considered a great writer.
I often find Stephen King inspired movies disappointing (I'm quite possibly his biggest fan book-wise, which could be why too) just because the stories are always pretty detailed, and there is a lot of mind stuff going on which is hard to depict visually.
I'm yet to see The Lovely Bones movie, but I haven't heard great things. I think the story is wondeful, and I love the book, but I think it comes back to it being too obscure to translate well to the screen.
JoshBransonTeacher

Post by JoshBransonTeacher »

I think he is a pretty competent writer, but the way that he deals with the themes in his writing does tend to translate well to the big screen. I heard the Lovely Bones as a movie didn't really work, though. It sounds to me, at least, better as a book, and I didn't bother seeing the movie.
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

I love Nicholas Sparks stories. Although others may find it simple but I still consider it as one of the best author in this world :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

A good storyteller but I not a "great" writer in my humble opinion.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I have always thought if Nicholas Sparks were a woman, he'd be writing Harlequin romances and be utterly dismissed by most readers. Just my opinion! It doesn't mean he's not readable -- I just think he's pretty ordinary. That's not a slam, either. Lots of authors are very readable, but not "great."
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Amelia wrote: The fact they're so simple is what makes his stories into such popular movies. The stories translate really well.
Complicated books never turn into movies. It is a difficult work altogether..
SusenM99

Post by SusenM99 »

And you shouldn't feel discouraged about his writing, though I feel it is a little repetitive. Mostly all of his stories take place in Georgia, or South/North Carolina, next to a beach and they are all about love, in many different forms might I add. That's just to say that I've "heard this all before", but he's a good writer nonetheless. I hope that other people see Nicholas Sparks the way I do.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I always really enjoy his books. He is no literary mastermind, but his novels are usually very captivating and well written.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
lillshoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lillshoe.html

Post by lillshoe »

I read my first NIcholas Spark book recently after boycotting him forever (never was one for straight romance novels). I read the Long Way Home. I was pleasantly surprised by how WELL he wrote though, and I would be open to reading more books.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

Liz wrote:I have always thought if Nicholas Sparks were a woman, he'd be writing Harlequin romances and be utterly dismissed by most readers. Just my opinion! It doesn't mean he's not readable -- I just think he's pretty ordinary. That's not a slam, either. Lots of authors are very readable, but not "great."
You must not have read many Harlequin books to put Nicholas Sparks in that category. I have read many many many in my years (I have many of those also). Harlequin books are just light fluff. I read them for relaxing relief or at least I did at one time. Don't read them anymore. Sparks writes with much more depth. He gets into his characters feelings. Harlequins are all alike sort of cookie cutter books. Sparks can elicit deep emotions and I often cry when reading them. Have never never cried reading a Harlequin. They are not of the same caliber. You can't dismiss someone who seems to be able to understand human emotions and psyche as he does. They are not just fluff.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
dheyd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Post by dheyd »

I believe his books are well written and enjoyable. I wouldn't call them simple stories for the very reason that "love" is never simple.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I read one of his books in an airport and found it enjoyable, but I wouldn't necessarily call him "great". He's a good writer, I'll give you that, but I didn't get quite as into the story as I have for other books.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
luvnatalia555
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvnatalia555.html

Post by luvnatalia555 »

I love Nicholas Sparks! I've only read Safe Haven, Dear John, The Lucky One, The Last Song, and A Bend in the Road, but I really want to read more! He's definitely one of my favorite authors!
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I am not a huge fan just like you said he writes pretty much the same story line in every book.

Return to “Discuss Authors”