Fyodor Dostoevsky

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dori
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Post by Dori »

Recently, along with the other books that I'm reading, I decided to pick up Crime and Punishment (by Dostoevsky, of course). I just finished Part I, and it is an amazing read thus far. Has anyone else read this?

Here's a quote from C&P which caught my attention:
Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote:In a morbid condition of the brain, dreams often have a singular actuality, vividness, and extraordinary semblance of reality. At times monstrous images are created, but the setting and the whole picture are so truthlike and filled with details so delicate, so unexpectedly, but so artistically consistent, that the dreamer, were he an artist like Pushkin or Turgenev even, could never have invented them in the waking state. Such sick dreams always remain long in the memory and make a powerful impression on the overwrought and deranged nervous system.
This excerpt is, from what I've seen, just a taste of the brilliance of Dostoevsky and only proves Friedrich Nietzsche's claim that "[Dostoevsky] is the only psychologist I have anything to learn from." What do you guys think?

I also recently bought a few more of his works, including Poor Folk, Notes from Underground, The Double, and The House of the Dead. Has anyone read any of these works? Or perhaps The Brothers Karamazov or the The Idiot (which I also own)? If so, what did you think about them?
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
knightss

Post by knightss »

I've read some of Dostoevsky's short stories and i have the brothers karamazov on my bookshelf but haven't attempted to read it yet.

I enjoy his short stories immensely and i'm looking forward to reading more of his work.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
nerdgirlNV

Post by nerdgirlNV »

I first picked up crime and punishment on a dare in junior high. I was a bit of an odd ball kid and didn't like to do my homework so one of my teacher's told me if I could finish it (no report, just be able to convince her I had read it) she'd give me an A for the quarter.

I don't think I would have ever picked it up otherwise and what a shame that would have been. I haven't read it recently, but I'm so glad to see that the book of the month is another Dostoyevsky that I have not had the pleasure of reading yet. I'm going to have to pick up another copy of Crime and Punishment. Thanks for the great idea! :lol:
sweetos

Post by sweetos »

i just finished dostoevsky's book, "the idiot". it's amazing. it's just disappointing that not a lot of people have read this book. and it's even less popular than dostoevsky's other work, "crime and punishment". i haven't read that one but i'm sure that if people recognize c&p as one of the best classics, the idiot should receive the same recognition.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I read The House of the Dead recently, and I want to read some more of his works.

I like that quote about dreams.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
pOoF bAbY

Post by pOoF bAbY »

Scott Hughes wrote:I read The House of the Dead recently, and I want to read some more of his works.

I like that quote about dreams.
Thats a VERY good book!! :)
Don't like TOUGH!!
clarebear

Post by clarebear »

I've only read Crime and Punishment so far, but it was very good and I intend to read the Brothers Karamazov and the Idiot.
"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." Sylvia Plath
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Dori wrote:Recently, along with the other books that I'm reading, I decided to pick up Crime and Punishment (by Dostoevsky, of course). I just finished Part I, and it is an amazing read thus far. Has anyone else read this?

Here's a quote from C&P which caught my attention:
Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote:In a morbid condition of the brain, dreams often have a singular actuality, vividness, and extraordinary semblance of reality. At times monstrous images are created, but the setting and the whole picture are so truthlike and filled with details so delicate, so unexpectedly, but so artistically consistent, that the dreamer, were he an artist like Pushkin or Turgenev even, could never have invented them in the waking state. Such sick dreams always remain long in the memory and make a powerful impression on the overwrought and deranged nervous system.
This excerpt is, from what I've seen, just a taste of the brilliance of Dostoevsky and only proves Friedrich Nietzsche's claim that "[Dostoevsky] is the only psychologist I have anything to learn from." What do you guys think?

I also recently bought a few more of his works, including Poor Folk, Notes from Underground, The Double, and The House of the Dead. Has anyone read any of these works? Or perhaps The Brothers Karamazov or the The Idiot (which I also own)? If so, what did you think about them?
Well I happen to love Friedrich Nietzsche and Dostoevsky.
I read the book, Dostoevsky kicks some literary ass, period.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

The Idiot is a very good book too :)
colonel1

Post by colonel1 »

that passage is fantastic, the translator deserves some credit fot it too
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

colonel1 wrote:that passage is fantastic, the translator deserves some credit fot it too
Yeah. The Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translations have given me a fresh perpective on Big D. I used to think he was a very clumsy writer and now I think he's... not as clumsy.

Some things about him really bother me. In Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky reminds us that every life has a value and cannot be extinguished... even an old, stingy Jew! Thanks, Fyodor. You're so spiritual. (check out his Notebooks for even more overt anti-Semitism, which he expresses with pride)

Lots of foot stamping, I've noticed. Also, the air in Moscow must've been terrible, because characters faint with alarming frequency (and at the most convenient times, too).

Still, Freud was influenced by Doestoevsky as well as Freddy N. Petty impressive. Good thinker (usually), okay writer.
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

I just finished his short story "The Little Orphan". It was well written, but incredibly depressing. But, that's his thing, right?
rollingpin

Post by rollingpin »

I'm still trudging through the brothers karamazov. It's good material but is hard to read over an extended period of time. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be done :roll:
Eric

Post by Eric »

I'm finally getting around to reading "Crime & Punishment" now. I've already read "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Notes From Underground", but for some reason never read his most famous work. So far it's excellent. I plan on reading "The Idiot" and "The Devils" in the near future.
Freedom of conscience entails more dangers than authority and despotism. -- Michel Foucault
Spoons

Post by Spoons »

i read some of crime and punishment, and i loved it.
I really want to try and read his other works
There is no greater misfortune in the world than the loss of reason

Return to “Discuss Authors”