Who should I read next?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kilkee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Who should I read next?

Post by kilkee »

Hello,

I am caught up on all my favorite writers and was wondering if you guys could suggest some other writers? My current favorites are: David Baldacci, Steve Berry, Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child (together & separate), Jonathan Nasaw, PJ Tracy.

At my last bookstore visits, I did not see anyone who jumped out at me. The other point to consider: if a writer has a character who appears in multiple books, I would need to start at the first book - I don't like reading books out of order.

Thanks for your help!
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I've read Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Because of that, I got The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. I thought it was pretty good. You might try that.

I've never read any of the other authors though. Sorry I can't help more!
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

Let's see... some of my favorite contemporary writers are Michael Crichton, John Grisham, and a writer named Robert Liparulo, I really enjoyed his book Comes a Horseman.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
F0xh0undX

Post by F0xh0undX »

kilkee wrote:Hello,

I am caught up on all my favorite writers and was wondering if you guys could suggest some other writers? My current favorites are: David Baldacci, Steve Berry, Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child (together & separate), Jonathan Nasaw, PJ Tracy.

At my last bookstore visits, I did not see anyone who jumped out at me. The other point to consider: if a writer has a character who appears in multiple books, I would need to start at the first book - I don't like reading books out of order.

Thanks for your help!
Do try out Meg Cabot's books. Here's a website full of her books.
ebooks-are-fun.blogspot,com (replace the , to . as I can't post link till my 100th post).
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

José Saramago
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

My favorite author to recommend to people is Kelley Armstrong. I got started with the Women Of The Otheworld but I enjoy the Nadia Stafford and Cainesville books just as much.
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

Novel from the writer... named Andrea Hirata -Indonesia. All novels is good.
PhilosophyHound

Post by PhilosophyHound »

You might try John Saomes ... Who wrote Journey to Yuwmah. There are ten books in the Yuwmahn series. This is the first. You can also download his free book from his website which is Ten Yuwmahn Beginnings .. Which gives you a feel for the next nine books.... They are difficult to put into a genre because they are a bit sci fi a bit motivational, a bit philosophical.. All about making the world a better place and maximising our happiness and living a good life ... The book is all about the Yuwmahn people who have developed a very different society to our own. Definitely worth a read. My 16 year old son loved it too and we are both recommending it to all our friends.
dela_knight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dela-knight.html

Post by dela_knight »

Caragh O'Brien, her Birthmarked series is personally one of my favorites and I think definitely underrated.
dawn_1999_20

Post by dawn_1999_20 »

Any good recommendations?
Sharon_Dsouza
Currently Reading: The grave tattoo
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-dsouza.html

Post by Sharon_Dsouza »

Hey! I get what you mean. I occasionally find a really good author and then I just carve out my niche in their books. Well I suggested some books and authors below, I hope it helps!
If you want like a fast paced book James Patterson is a really good choice. I especially love his confessions of a murder suspect which is a series. His Maximum Ride series is also an interesting read if you like a little bit of sci-fi.
The book I'm reading right now is The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermind. Its about William Wordsworth and if you enjoy mystery and history its a good fix!
The last author I would suggest is Marion Zimmer Bradley. She writes historical fictional books with strong female protagonists. Her book The Mists of Avalon is my favourite.

Return to “Discuss Authors”