Jodi Picoult

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
laceymatt26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by laceymatt26 »

I absolutley LOVE Jodi Picoult. She is my favorite author of all time. I have read numerous books by her and loved them all. I have read
Change of Heart
Nineteen Minutes
Tenth Circle
Vanishing Acts
My Sisters keeper
Perfect Match
Salem Falls
The Pact
Harvesting the Heart
Right now I am reading Picture Perfect and have Mercy on hold at the Library.
Susanna-Cole

Post by Susanna-Cole »

My Sister's Keeper is one of my all time favorite books. Not only was it beautifully written, with a superb plot and concept, but Picoult knows how to get to the heart... I truly carried around the mood of the characters as I read, as well as, I the characters reminded me of my sister, brother, and I, and there was something comforting in that.

I've also read "Plain Truth", "The Tenth Circle", and I am now reading, "Vanishing Acts", which is turning out to be perhaps my second favorite after "My Sister's Keeper". :wink:
luce99

Post by luce99 »

jodi picoult is my favourite author currently, the topics she writes about are so interesting and they really put subjects into perspective, I have read many of her books and I don't think I have a favourite, my least favourite was perfect match though because I felt that in places it was a touch too graphic. But I love her style of writing, the way her plots always have a last minute twist.
Comeflyaway

Post by Comeflyaway »

I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult's books (Plain Truth, Vanishing Acts, My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, Picture Perfect, The Tenth Circle), and I wouldn't keep going back to her if I didn't enjoy her books so much. At the same time, though, I'm really starting to get a sense of her pattern. There's a lot in common among all those books, and even though I love the way they're written, it makes me hesitant to keep going back to her.
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

Have you all read the synopsis of her new book "Handle with care"? it sounds so amazing that I'm going to buy it as soon as I get some cash.

Things break all the time.
Day breaks, waves break, voices break.
Promises break.
Hearts break.

Every expectant parent will tell you that they don't want a perfect baby, just a healthy one. Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe would have asked for a healthy baby, too, if they'd been given the choice. Instead, their lives are made up of sleepless nights, mounting bills, the pitying stares of "luckier" parents, and maybe worst of all, the what-ifs. What if their child had been born healthy? But it's all worth it because Willow is, well, funny as it seems, perfect. She's smart as a whip, on her way to being as pretty as her mother, kind, brave, and for a five-year-old an unexpectedly deep source of wisdom. Willow is Willow, in sickness and in health.

Everything changes, though, after a series of events forces Charlotte and her husband to confront the most serious what-ifs of all. What if Charlotte should have known earlier of Willow's illness? What if things could have been different? What if their beloved Willow had never been born? To do Willow justice, Charlotte must ask herself these questions and one more. What constitutes a valuable life?
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
laureny

Post by laureny »

before i say anything about handle with care, i think i should say upfront how much of a jodi picoult fan i am. i've read all of her books (minus songs of the humpback whale..) and i really love her writing.

i wasn't that impressed with change of heart, and i wasn't that impressed with handle with care either. i mean i liked handle with care better than change of heart, but both just didn't do it for me. they didn't carry the weight of some of the other books shes written. unlike the pact, plain truth, or my sister's keeper, i felt like this book dealt less with the moral issue of whether or not the child should be born, and more about the daily disasters of having a child suffering from OI and the complications it has on family life. some of the things that progressed to happen in this book made absolutely no sense, and it seemed as though picoult was throwing it in for the sake of throwing it in. the eldest child in this book, for example, has every single mental disease known to teenagers. she's depressed, she's cutting, she has an eating disorder, and while it's common for all of those things to come hand in hand, the development of how this happens is extremely unclear. one day she's a pissy angsty teenager, the next day her sorrow knows no depths. there was no inbetween area, no explanation.

overall, i think that she really could have gone more indepth with this. refocused the concentration on the issue of whether or not willow should have been born (something i think she does in the very last chapter, maybe the last 15 pages) but neglects for the enterity of the novel.
kamiek08

Post by kamiek08 »

Ok.. people may not like me for this, but i think Jodi Picoult is completely uncreative. I've read My Sisters Keeper, Vanishing Acts (couldn't even finish it, so i guess it might not count as a read), Tenth Circle, Salem Falls, Plain Truth, and Nineteen Minutes, and each time i finished one book, I felt like i had already read it in one of her previous books. She follows the same story line in all of her books, and you always know that she's going to try and throw a twist in.. which kinda defeats the point, in my opinion.

I have to say, I did enjoy My Sisters Keeper, however. It is the only one I feel like had any originality to it. And, unfortunately, it was also the first one by Picoult I read, and set some pretty high standards.
Mandzanita

Post by Mandzanita »

I JUST finished The Pact, my first read of hers, and it really touched my heart and ripped it out at the same time. The relationship between the characters was so amazing and the sadness and turmoil was palpable. It really got my emotions going. Like I said, this was the first book of hers that I've read and I'm excited to read more.

Oh and I'm new to this forum so I'm excited to look around and add a gazillion books to my TBR list :)
Sbailey1

Post by Sbailey1 »

I am going to start my very first book by her soon. It is called 19 Minutes. It looks very good. I am going to have to look for this book the Storyteller. It sounds good as well!!
Lilybella

Post by Lilybella »

I've read about four of her books and all share very similar structure, a problem being not what you initially thought, resulting in a happy ending, the first one I read I thought was so good but as all are so similar my interest was lost in the others,
Mecassel0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mecassel0.html

Post by Mecassel0 »

I am on the fence about Jodi Picoult. I have read My Sisters Keeper and Change of Heart. My Sisters Keeper I really enjoyed. However, Change of Heart irritated me. It was way too similar to The Green Mile. It came off like it was supposed to be a dumbed down, chick-lit version of Stephen Kings novel. I just began reading Sing You Home by Picoult. Have any of you guys read it yet? I've been searching for any discussions or reviews on it, and can't find any. However, that may be because I'm new to this site and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Mecassel0 wrote:I am on the fence about Jodi Picoult. I have read My Sisters Keeper and Change of Heart. My Sisters Keeper I really enjoyed. However, Change of Heart irritated me. It was way too similar to The Green Mile. It came off like it was supposed to be a dumbed down, chick-lit version of Stephen Kings novel. I just began reading Sing You Home by Picoult. Have any of you guys read it yet? I've been searching for any discussions or reviews on it, and can't find any. However, that may be because I'm new to this site and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.
I agree with you regarding the "dumbed down, chick-lit" description. I enjoyed reading a few of Jodi Picoult's books, but I do think she is overrated as a writer. She does choose thought-provoking subject matter for many of her novels, but I think she is not a great writer.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

A great young adult author with captivating, well written stories. I loved My Sister's Keeper.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I have read almost all of her novels, and I LOVE her writing! She is such an awesome writer, and I can't wait to read Leaving Time. I love her characters, and how relatable they are. All in all, she is one of my favorite authors of all time!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

I first got to read one of her novels as part of a book club and I have to say I'd love to read all of her noves. i love her writing style in which she teaches us something while she keeps everything so exciting that it is hard to stop reading, I also enjoy the fact that in both books I have read by her, the ending was unpredictable, not something I expected.

The two novels I read by her are: House Rules and The Storyteller.

Return to “Discuss Authors”