Jodi Picoult

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Jodi Picoult

Post by debbiebee »

I really love Jodi Picoult, and my favourites are Vanishing Acts and The Storyteller (sorry I joined after it was a book of the month here!) but would advice Jodi fans, if they haven't already, to try Diane Chamberlain. Know this may count as heresy in some quarters, but I think her books, though similar in some ways, are more insightful and original.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
liber_tea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by liber_tea »

I absolutely ADORE Jodi Picoult. I think the first novel of hers I picked up was The Pact. It's a bit long, but in my opinion it was worth it. I love her imagery and vivid writing style. Perfect Match had me on the brink of tears. Personally, I value her as one of my favorite authors.
kassielk
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassielk.html

Post by kassielk »

Jodi Picoult is the only author who has made me cry with every single one of her books. I like that she gets me emotionally invested but it can be embarrassing to suddenly start crying at school or in a break room at work.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I read My Sister's Keeper a few years ago. I didn't think her writing was bad, but I found the book itself to be a little depressing. I prefer happier books. I want to give some of her other books a shot though.

-- 27 Mar 2015, 13:56 --

I am reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. This is will be the second book of hers that I have read, and I am really hoping that I enjoy it.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

SPOILERS!!!

I have read:

Second Glance--LOVED IT!

My Sister's Keeper--I felt so sorry for that girl who was spawned to supply her sister with body parts! I guess ultimately she served her purpose and her parents learned that human beings aren't disposable?

The Tenth Circle--Good grief. It just felt like pure, unadulterated drama.

Perfect Match--AS IF something so forensically out-there would happen--read like an episode of CSI!

Vanishing Acts--I agree with a previous poster that this book was hard to read. I don't generally find literary trips into mens' prisons to be enjoyable entertainment.

It's been years, though, since I have read her, so I can't comment on the writing itself, just her stories.
Lee The Flea
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-the-flea.html

Post by Lee The Flea »

I've only read Nineteen Minutes by her but it was really cool. I thought she handled the sensitive subject with tact, skill and grace. The ending was perfection.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I've read a lot of her books and used to be a big fan. I haven't really gotten into her more recent books, though. Lone Wolf and Sing You Home were just okay for me. If either of them were by an author I'd never heard of, they wouldn't encourage me to read more by that author.

House Rules, sigh. I did like that book, but I figured out what happened only halfway through. And I'm not a person that tries to solve the mystery while reading. I prefer to be surprised and let the story take me where it wants to. But the title of this book gave the whole plot away. It was probably the most disappointing book of hers that I've read.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I tried to read House Rules, and I did not make it to the halfway point and didn't know what was going on. But I couldn't get into it. It just seemed to be dragging.
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

I have read many of Jodi Picoult' s books, and I think that what causes me to keep going back to her books is that she makes controversial subjects approachable through the characters she creates. These characters she writes feel so real to me that they could be my neighbor, my relative, the person I go to church with. My Sister's Keeper was my first as well. It will probably always be my favorite. I've also read Vanishing Acts, The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, Handle with Care, House Rules, Change of Heart, Plain Truth and a few others. I agree that sometimes she seems to get into a little bit of a formula, but her characters are always unique and diverse and she always treats her subject matter with delicacy. She doesn't take sides. She simply presents characters with such conflicting views that as the reader, I sympathize with them all. Her latest novel, Leaving Time, was the first of hers that I had read in a while that was a little more unusual than other things she has written, but the ending on this one I never saw coming. So if you like Picoult at all but wanted to read something a little different for her, give it a try.
heather7878
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by heather7878 »

19 minutes was my favorite of hers that I have read so far. I did read My Sisters Keeper and liked it better than the movie.
melissaaa1998
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissaaa1998.html

Post by melissaaa1998 »

My Sister's Keeper was an amazing book. She had a crazy plot twist that i definitely did not see coming (especially because I saw the movie first and it was different) so it made me love the book so much. Even though it took me a while to get into and the different perspectives bugged me a bit because I did not like some of them as much as the others, it was great. I also read The Pact and it was really good also. I am looking forward to reading more of her books.
AnnK2

Post by AnnK2 »

I love Jodi Picoult and this has post has actually made me order her most recent book.

My favourite novel of hers is Nineteen Minutes and I remember reading this in a few days whilst I was on holiday. I just could not put it down. She is just a great technical writer and it amazes me how many issues she has addressed in all of her novels and she always does so with such care and thought.

There isnt a book of Jodi Picoults that I dont love.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think Jodi Picoult is overrated. True, she writes about controversial subjects and it's clear she researching the topics beforehand. I just think she isn't that great of a writer. Just my humble opinion.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
constant_reader81
Currently Reading: Skeleton Crew
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constant-reader81.html

Post by constant_reader81 »

I just finished reading Vanishing Acts and I thought it was rather good. I met Jodi Picoult and her daughter, Samantha, last month during a book signing. Very nice, genuine ladies. I love all of Jodi's books that I've read. She does a lot of research and consultation when writing her books and I admire that about her. I see that nobody has responded to this feed since 2007. I would recommend reading Leaving Time, The Storyteller, and House Rules. She is one of my favorite authors and I always look forward to new publications from her.
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

The first novel I read by Jodi was My Sister's Keeper. I had to read it for school and cried 3 different times throught the story. I didn't read another until years later. I believe I read The Tenth Circle and I was hooked. Her writing style is so easy for me to read. I like how some of her novels tell the story from each characters point of view. My favorite books of hers are Change of Heart, Handle with Care and The Story Teller. I hope to meet Mrs. Picoult some day. I rececntly found a Signed copy of Handle with Care at my local half price books and I was ecstatic!

Return to “Discuss Authors”