What author has never let you down?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sway1991
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sway1991.html

Re: What author has never let you down?

Post by Sway1991 »

Khaled Hosseini~The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, And the Mountains Echoed

Nicholas Sparks
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I can't say that I have been disappointed lately with any of the authors I read, I have been lucky I guess. There have been only one or two this year that I didn't care for.
Book Devotee
Currently Reading: dance of the gods
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-devotee.html

Post by Book Devotee »

I have two authors who have never let me down, no matter what kind of mood I'm in. Due to them writing under a couple different names and genres, I can always find a good book to read. Nora Roberts/ J.D. Robb; I go to Nora for her romances, the sweet ones like her bride quartet, her trilogies like the key trilogy, and her stand alones like High noon. Then I go to J.D Robb for her In death series. thanks to many different crimes, a continuing love story mixed in and constant moments of hilarity I am never bored by them. Then there is Amanda quick/ Jayne Ann krentze/Jayne Castle her books range from romantic historical to futuristic fantasy. Her harmony series with the dust bunnies is one of my favorites.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

Brandon Mull, Psuedonymous Bosch, and J.K. Rowling
MaryHazelUpton
Currently Reading: The Botanical World
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryhazelupton.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good

Post by MaryHazelUpton »

Stephen King. The "King" never disappoints! I haven't read everything he has written yet, but I went to his official website and printed out a list of everything he has written. He updates this information as he writes new books so later I'll print out an updated copy of this information. About also has a list of what he has written in order of publication and I printed that out too. I had already read a number of his books and stories before I decided to read everything he has written in the order of publication so I began rereading Carrie and am now rereading The Talisman, which he wrote with Peter Straub. I skipped some of the books that I didn't have and that looked as if they would be hard to find--I'll look for them later. I did order Roadwork by Richard Bachman, though, which I hadn't previously read. All of Stephen King's work is worth rereading, but my favorite of his books is 'Salem's Lot and I reread it about once a year.
What I like about Stephen King's books, besides them always being scary, is that he writes about real people and real places that I can believe in, probably because, I think, he bases them on the type of people and places he is familiar with. He has never forgotten where he came from. And also, although he is deservedly rich and famous now, he still writes his stories for love, not money. That is what makes the difference between a competent writer and a great one, like Stephen King. Others may imitate him, but there is only one King.
What also makes him a great writer is that he has read and learned from the classic great writers, such as H.P. Lovecraft. He has definitely studied the history of his genre, as he admits in the prefaces to his many books and also in his own book on writing, On Writing A Memoir Of The Craft.
I not only read everything I can find by Stephen King, but I also read everything I can about him, especially what he writes about himself.
I noticed when I read the other replies to this question on the forum that nobody else had mentioned Stephen King, so decided I would put in my two cents worth on this great author.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

An author that comes to mind is Stephen King.

I have only read a few of his books. I am aware that he wrote many, but I always hear good things about him. He writes consistently and stays on top of his game when it comes to publishing new books. He is so committed to writing that he pleases everyone's' expectations by not letting any of his readers down. If I were to read a long list of books he has written, then I would know he wrote with a passion in each and every book he published. Other authors that come to mind are J. K. Rowling and James Patterson.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Michelle Hodkin, J.K Rowling, David Lubar, and Stephen Chbosky
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Nick Rones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Bandersnatch wrote:Brandon Sanderson and Lemony Snicket
I have to agree. Brandon Sanderson is absolutely amazing. None of this books have ever been disappointing.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

Chris Bowen he is always my role model,inspiring and motivating since i have learn much from writings hence am always positive mind because of him.Thank you.
deana73
Currently Reading: Protect
Bookshelf Size: 1210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deana73.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B06XRTYRKM

Post by deana73 »

Bink Cummings has never let me down. She is raw and gritty. You know exactly what you get when you read her books.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Aroma st Andrews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aroma st Andrews »

Honestly Charlie sheldon to start with has been good for me ever since I started reading his books some years ago...The language and how he expresses the characters makes it easy for me..kudos ???
Tatahcha
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tatahcha »

Jk Rowling and Jackie Collins
Alexis Krobatsch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexis Krobatsch »

Jay McLean, Patricia Cornwell, and Darynda Jones (to name a few)
salpag
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Programmed To Kill</a>
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by salpag »

I love Robert Ludlum and Cynthia Freeman.The first for his action packed books and the latter for feminine power and sensitivity.
Tanny136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanny136.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Tanny136 »

Agatha Christie and Eva Ibbotson are the two authors who never let me down. Christie's well crafted crime novels and cliffhangers and Ibbotson's simple, feel good and inspirational stories have always brought a smile on my face.

Return to “Discuss Authors”