Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by kandscreeley »

Honestly? I've loved to read since I first started reading. So I'd have to say it was the Berenstein Bear books. I learned to read with those, and as soon as I did, I devoured everything I could get my hands on.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake_31
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Snowflake_31 »

I have been an avid reader all my life. I still have my Marguerite Henry books, Little House on the Prairie Series, and Jim Keljgard who has written mostly dog/boy stories. I have read them again as adults. Now I enjoy historical fiction, animal stories, Amish, suspense, etc. Really anything.
AsYouAre

Post by AsYouAre »

I love everything Kresley Cole! She is such such a talented writer her discriotions and the way she creates her characters are just amazing!
I wonder when Nix's story will come out.
arcadia-jones

Post by arcadia-jones »

In the third grade, my teacher had a shelf of books that she allowed us to borrow from. I remember picking up T.A. Barron's The Lost Years of Merlin saga which not only started my love of fantasy and reading, but also my love for Arthurian legend and the mystical draw of magic. Still a great series.
OctoberSkye13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-octoberskye13.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OctoberSkye13 »

Like so many others here, I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't have my nose in a book. But I do have a handfull of books and authors that I remember distinctly. First off was Carolyn Keene who authored Nancy Drew. I read every single one of those books growing up and I absolutely fell in love with mysteries. It opened up a whole new world of reading and imagination. The second would be Linda Buckley-Archer who is the author of The Gideon Trilogy. The Gideon Trilogy is really what did it for me. That series solidly made me fall more in love with reading than I thought I ever could be! It must have been 11 or 12 years ago that I read those books and I still remember the magic feeling they gave me. It has been a whirlwind ever since! I have read NYT bestsellers just to see what all the hype was about, and I have read $.50 paperbacks from Goodwill and Salvation Army. I love any sort of book I can get my hands on. And like I tell my kids, if you read it and like it, great! You're a better and more educated person for it! If you didn't like it, that's okay too! Nobody said you had to. You're still a better and more educated person for it. "Knowledge is power." -Sir Frances Bacon. And the more you read, the more knowledge you acquire. Books are such an underrated privilege!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I've always loved to read as far back as I can remember. I read the Nancy Drew series when I was young. I also loved Isabelle Allende. I think it was both of these.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
tabithalwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabithalwood.html

Post by tabithalwood »

My sweet momma started my love of books, probably while I was in the womb. I always remember her reading to me and then once I could read, I read everything I could get my hands on. A book that stands out as a favorite to me was Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary. I have probably read that book 20+ times. I still have all my books from when I was a child and wouldn't trade them for anything!
fonts75
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by fonts75 »

Lorraine Heath with her TEXAS series
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

Going back many years I first started reading John Steinbeck, I would say I have read all of his writings.
Lyddoc420

Post by Lyddoc420 »

I know this dates me, but J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit". My room was always filled with books. My mother had us enrolled in every book club on the plabet, but it wasn't enough. I went into my older brothers' room, and found this little worn book. I WAS HOOKED! I read so much of his work that my mom bought me "The Silmarillion" for my high school graduation.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

The Hobbit has always been my favorite book also. First read it way back in JR High in the early 80s. Have loved the fantasy genre ever since.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
CrystalSnow
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalsnow.html

Post by CrystalSnow »

Personally it was JH Trumble. I fell in and out of reading, but after reading Don't Let Me Go, I craved reading new books so much more and wanting to see someone else's life through their eyes again
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

I've been reading for as long as I can remember, but I'm pretty sure the Harry Potter series doubled my love for reading.
readingdiva3

Post by readingdiva3 »

Danielle Steel started me on the road to really reading! I love all of her books and I haven't found one that I didn't like to read. I have read almost all, if not all of her books. Her stories seam very real! The stories are easy to read.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

For me I have always loved to read. When I was little and I couldn't read yet I would sit with a book and pretend that I was reading it. I would also memorize the books my parents read to me so that I could pretend I was reading it.

Return to “Discuss Authors”