Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ladynocurtle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by ladynocurtle »

Ray Bradbury started it all for me.
R_Coffey2017

Post by R_Coffey2017 »

I have always loved to read, ever since I learned how. I loved the way I was transported to a world other than my own and it was up to my imagination to visualize the characters. When I was old enough to understand, Stephen King and Dean Koontz grabbed my interest. Writing style is everything, and these two authors know how to grab me
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

The author that started it all for me was George Orwell with his great works "1984" No other book has ever compared to the highly technological element that 1984 displays. Although we are super close to the book now, the technology still supersedes now, and I was a pretty young soul back in the real year of 1984. I recommend every6one read this at least once.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I have loved reading since a very young age. I read through almost all of the books in my local library's young adult section before I was even a teenager. But the author that made me realize that this was my favorite thing in the world was Alexandre Dumas. I read The Count of Monte Cristo. It was amazing! It is still to this day my favorite book and my favorite author. I have now read all of his books and I have even read a lot of them in the original French.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
June8-+
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17384">The Skye in June</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by June8-+ »

I've been reading since as far back as I remember I could read. My mother inspired the love of books and my grammar school teachers (nuns) kept the love of them alive. Of course I loved the classic "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell, Nancy Drew series published by Edward Stratemeyer, and a very fond book, "The Boxcar Children" - my husband (who also read since a young kid) and I will say when a less than fulfilling time comes along, "Gee, don't we feel like the Boxcar kids?' There's a wonderful story I remember about a young girl moving to a new home that was old and pink. The feeling of the story remains, but the title and whole story is lost in the many words I've read. LOVE BOOKS!
Titanium Love
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanium-love.html
Latest Review: "Spell Wars" by Joshua Cox-Steib

Post by Titanium Love »

The author that started my love of books was L.J. Smith. Her NightWorld series was AWESOMESAUCE!!! :D
Latest Review: "Spell Wars" by Joshua Cox-Steib
Kerrie6784
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kerrie6784 »

For me it was Jessica Sorrenson she is an amazing author, her style of writing is brilliant. I first read her promised series, fallen star. It was amazing an i told anyone and everyone that would listen to read them lol!!! they are so good an good story line amazing charactors too. :D
haleyanne
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by haleyanne »

I can trace my book obsession back to 2nd grade, when I stumbled upon The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. I devoured every single one in my elementary school's meager library, and eventually realized, "Hey, this whole reading thing isn't so bad!"
AlexisMommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismommy.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AlexisMommy »

Dean Koontz started it all with his book, The Servants of Twilight.

It got me hooked on the horror genre. His books are so easy to read and I can blow through one in 2-3 days!

His Odd Thomas series is the best!
shelby+fiction

Post by shelby+fiction »

Somerset Maughm. What angst and passion, what tragedy. My sixth grade brain absorbed his writing with all its gut-wrenching emotion. I lived in Europe then and school was strict. What a relief to enter a world where emotions spilled over and there were no uniforms and straight lines to walk. Yeah, Somerset! Long live classical literature.
Clair Lumin

Post by Clair Lumin »

I also started with Enid Blyton. When I was small, they were read to me by parents who could change their voices and make exciting sounds. I learned to read because I wanted to be whisked away by all the magical tales. I read fairy tales and 1001 nights. I was hooked on books, and it is an addiction I don't want to ever recover from.
BookLover2280
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=2735">To Kill a Mockingbird</a>
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover2280.html
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookLover2280 »

I've always loved to read, but the author that really got me into reading was Nora Roberts
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
BlackRose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackrose.html

Post by BlackRose »

My first read-in-one-sitting book was Twilight. But Sarah Dessen's books made me into a real readaholic.
Clair Lumin

Post by Clair Lumin »

I agree with BookLover 2280 about Nora Roberts. I like to put Irish music on while I read her novels set in Ireland. I like the way she makes her writing sound Irish while spelling the words normally. Many times when I read a book where someone has an accent (and everyone on the planet has an accent), the spelling is murdered so we can get an idea how the words sound. But in real life none of us murder our spelling, we just speak the way we speak. I don't know how Nora Roberts does it, but Irish brogue rolls out of her books and I can smell rich Irish earth and hear Irish songs in my head. She didn't start me off reading, but she did a lot to pander to my addiction!
graciemaryee

Post by graciemaryee »

J.K. Rowling! I was a big book reader before, but the Harry Potter series was the first time I felt addicted to the characters and world they were in and not just the plot. It made me see how complex and complete books can be. My deep appreciation for books definitely started with her.

Return to “Discuss Authors”