Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ScarlettEscola
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlettescola.html
Latest Review: "Predator Girl" by S.B. Roozenboom

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by ScarlettEscola »

I have been reading practically since I was born, but Barbara Park was my very first author.
Latest Review: "Predator Girl" by S.B. Roozenboom
LeenKansas
Currently Reading: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by LeenKansas »

The Babysitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin was where my love of books started. I became enamored with the characters in this series and I looked forward to my weekly visits to the local library to check out the next book. I think I held the record for most hold requests! I was around the same age as the main characters and I dreamed of being their friends. The excitement I felt reading the BSC books inspired me to seek out other friends and eventually, I branched out and delivered a love of all books.
cllnchd
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cllnchd.html

Post by cllnchd »

I started reading Erma Bombeck books and fell in love with reading. Unfortunately she passed away.
Lawdy2010

Post by Lawdy2010 »

According to my parents and Nanna I have always loved books and would make them read with me for hours at a time from when I was a toddler. But if I was to pin point one author who really made me love reading it would have to be J.K Rowling! My mum read me the first two Harry Potter novels. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was the first novel I ever read by myself and I have been reading ever since! To the point where my parents had to ban reading books at the dining table when I was a teenager haha
jessicam65101
Currently Reading: bite me,your grace
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicam65101.html

Post by jessicam65101 »

I wasn't that big on reading during elementary and junior high school. It wasn't until I was in my freshman year of high school that I found a R.L. Stine book that got me hooked. I lived in the country and was on the school bus for at least an hour a day. I would spend that time devouring through his Fear Street books. It didn't take long before I was being called a book worm because I just couldn't put his books down. So I thank R.L. Stine for his showing me that reading can be interesting to a girl growing up in the country who previously thought reading wasn't fun at all.
IReadJSherman
Currently Reading: 50 More Hikes in New Hampshire
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by IReadJSherman »

Julie Campbell Tatham-she wrote the Trixie Belden Series. I fell in love with her outdoor adventures and found a love for mysteries at a young age.
HappyBanjoGirl

Post by HappyBanjoGirl »

The author that started my passion for reading was L.M. Montgomery. I grew up reading her classics, the Anne of Green Gable Series. I fell in love with all of her characters and I knew that I would become a writer not long later. Writing and reading is something that I do not see as an escape, but as an adventure.
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 159

Post by Lolly_Reader »

Dr. Suess lured me in with Green Eggs and Ham, and I've never stopped reading since then. It's still one of my favourite books to read to small fry so I can enjoy it all over again. The man was a creative genius.
Laney_O

Post by Laney_O »

The first book that I ever read that really made me start reading was 1984 by George Orwell. I believe I read the book when I was in Seventh grade. I realized what an intelligent book it was and then read Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury. My love of classic books started there and I started to read Jack London and Charles Dickens. In the end, the author that sparked my love of reading is still George Orwell.
Jories4
Currently Reading: The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by Jories4 »

Antoine de Saint Exupery´s "The Little Prince" was the first book i read as i remember, but Gabriel Garcia Marques is the one who made me a real avid reader after him i couldnt spend a week without reading.
-Dan
Kiekow15
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiekow15.html

Post by Kiekow15 »

I read Jack London's White Fang when I was in elementary school (not the greatest of ideas), as I had an obsession with wolves. After struggling through it for quite a while, I found myself spending most of my free time reading instead of playing video games as I had before.
Adamandia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17">bloody earth</a>
Currently Reading: Stalked by love
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamandia.html

Post by Adamandia »

I started reading at a really young age but the authors that really got me hooked on romance novels were Carole Mortimer and Sharlotte Lamb. I was reading so many Harlequin novels back then.
I think that I had boxes with more than 500 novels in paperback. The really sad part is that my brother sold them all without telling me when I was in college :( :( :( :( :(
mal03
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mal03.html

Post by mal03 »

For me it all started with E. B. White
RobertRun

Post by RobertRun »

It was Ray Bradbury for me. By the time I was 15 I had read everything he had written up to that point. That not only got me into other Sci-fi but also social commentary, I think it had a positive effect on critical thinking skills.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

mal03 wrote:For me it all started with E. B. White
The first movie I ever bought my kids was "Charlotte's Web". I had such fond memories of reading it and watching it as a child.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Discuss Authors”