Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
nnana_larhy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by nnana_larhy »

Enid Blyton. I started with Famous Five Five go off in a caravan
Kiraan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kiraan »

Sidney Sheldon it was for me. His books had adventure, suspense, drama,Romance and were fast paced keeping us glued till the end.
Graceashleyd

Post by Graceashleyd »

I was reading sweet valley high and The hardy boys when I was younger but the most memorable author for me was Kathleen Woodwiss. Her books were the perfect crossover from children's books to adult books:)
Samsulli
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsulli.html

Post by Samsulli »

For me it was Rick Riordan. I have always read books from a young age, but his original Percy Jackson series really drew me in and created the binge reader I'm known as today. I still love that series and have read his Kane Chronicals and most of his newer series about Roman gods. Needless to say I have moved on, but both him and his books are still well remembered and cherished by me.
electricsunflowers
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by electricsunflowers »

Cornelia Funke with Dragon Rider. I think I was 10 when I'd read it, I appreciate it to this day. :)
La Vie en Rose
Currently Reading: I, My Ancestor
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by La Vie en Rose »

My mother taught me to read at an early age. She read to us, and I have always loved reading. The first piece of literature I read was Little Women at age 11, and it has been my favorite book ever since.
romantics
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Frannie and Tru</a>
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romantics.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by romantics »

For me, it was also Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games series made me have a deeper love for books and start to constantly read.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

I've been reading as far back as I can remember, my parents hated it, and even tore up some of my books when I was 12. Regardless, what really got me into reading was this random book in Spanish about the Egyptian Gods, when I was about 5 or 6. From there I started reading a bunch of Baby Sitters Club books, so much that my best friend wanted to start a baby sitting club! And then of course, JK Rowling
ChrissieLeigh
Favorite Author: Joleene Naylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrissieleigh.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 50531

Post by ChrissieLeigh »

Joleene Naylor is who got me hooked with her Amaranthine series. I still follow her work and I love her one of a kind stories and am kind of disappointed that the series is coming to an end but I can't wait to see what she does next.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
open-book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-open-book.html

Post by open-book »

For me it was Enid Blyton and The Enchanted Wood which was one of my absolute favourites as a child.

As a preteen I discovered Christopher Pike and the Point Horror Series. As a young adult I loved Stephen King.

Now as an adult I have broadened my horizons and love a good romance (both darkly erotic or dramatically sweet), historical fiction or memoir. Recently I have also found myself looking for classics, my most recent read being To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
JinXXIV
Currently Reading: How to Be Black

Post by JinXXIV »

I used to just enjoy reading most of what was provided as assignments in school, but I don't think I really got deeply invested until I read Neil Gaiman in high school.

I didn't start with his American Gods novel, but actually with his The Sandman graphic novel series, and easily, that is one of the most lyrical and affecting pieces of literature I have ever read.
pawndebugger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pawndebugger.html

Post by pawndebugger »

Crime and punishment is mine. Got me being more philosophical.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I have always been an avid reader. I was lucky to grow up in a house hold where reading was a main event every night. My father read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy to me when I was 8 (it took a whole year!). I think that was probably the first book that really opened my eyes to the sense of adventure that books can hold. On my own, I read the first Harry Potter book when I was around 7 and I think this was also a really big turning point for me. I can't ever remember a time when books weren't a very important part of my life!
ash_0400
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-0400.html

Post by ash_0400 »

Stephenie Meyers definitely.... I think reading the twilight books, I got addicted to reading. It also started my addiction to reading series books!!
ELBryant05

Post by ELBryant05 »

For me it was C.S. Lewis. We read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in my 4th grade English class and I was hooked. I don't think I had ever experienced how a book could transport you to another world until then. Still a big fan of the book and the series.

Return to “Discuss Authors”