Lewis Carroll

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
blai3ser
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blai3ser.html

Lewis Carroll

Post by blai3ser »

Specifically Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are some of the most classic pieces of storytelling and word play at our disposal and yet I feel many have not read these stories. I believe they should be mandatory reads for all high school seniors as it imparts many queries to the reader regarding reality and the self that can then be addressed.
Opinions?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

What I remember best about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was the poem, Jabberwocky. It was to this story what Nessun Dorma is to Turandot. Most people who read Alice just think of Jabberwocky as nonsense, but I believe Carroll knew exactly what he was doing.

The poem describes the make-believe adventures of what could be estimated to be a five year old boy. Now to really appreciate this poem one must try to remember what it was like when one was this age. You have to get into this kid's skin. It is afternoon, between nap time and when dad gets home from work- that lazy time in the late afternoon. The child's inventive juices are flowing and he imagines (remember what those imaginings were like?) that the burogoves (later identified in part II as a type of bird) were mimsily pecking at the ground and the mome raths were grazing. So chickens and pigs become enchanted creatures in an enchanted land where anything is possible. The fact that the child lacks the understanding of putting the correct words to what he is experiencing in his make-believe does not deter him - he invents the names as he goes along just as we might have done. After all, it is the child's world and he decides what things are called.

He wants to be a hero so he invents a dreaded creature of which all should beware - a Jabberwock: the monstrous flying predator who "wiffles" (screeches) through the "tulgy" (dark and dense) woods with flaming eyes. Then the Jabberwock appears and accosts the child but the child is not powerless. He possess a "vorpal" (deadly) sword with which he cuts off the monster's head.

"And thou hast killed the Jabberwock! Come to my arms my beamish boy." Do you remember what it was like? Do you remember how you once thirsted for your parent's lavish praise? And now it is delivered! What can one possibly chortle in response but, "Oh frabjous day! Callooh callay!"

Lewis Carroll was able, with this poem, to magically slip the coils of adulthood and to identify with the pretend world of a small child. And he did it so masterfully that I continue to stand in awe of the effect this poem produces upon me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
kaitykinetic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitykinetic.html

Post by kaitykinetic »

Almost six years ago, I directed a local production of Alice in Wonderland. It was incredible to me how hard it is to find a stage adaptation that is true to the original work. In the end, I went with one that was quite impressive in terms of content - the Lobster Quadrille, the Pig and the Pepper, and the entire Jabberwocky poem. I loved seeing so many children in the audience, because they were being exposed to a classic in such an interactive way.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The poetry in Lewis Carroll work is A-mazing in its sing song nature and intriguing word choice. I do believe that everyone should read some of the classics and Charlie's Chocolate Factory is near the top of my recommendation list. Unfortunately, i have never read anymore of Carrolls work.
Lu-Ellen
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-ellen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Lu-Ellen »

Alice in wonderland is one of my all time favourite stories. Even now at 26 I still love to read it. I agree with an earlier post it should be mandatory reading in schools.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I agree that more people should be required to read Lewis Carroll books while in school. His writing style could serve as inspiration for those especially who have a difficult time in their English classes.

Return to “Discuss Authors”