Male or Female?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Rachel Christina
Currently Reading: Dream of me
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-christina.html

Male or Female?

Post by Rachel Christina »

Does anyone else who is reading a book, look at the author's name and not know whether that name is for a female or male?

I sure hope I am not the only one who has this problem...

Since a lot of authors create pen names so that their real name is hidden or they do not like their real name to be published, it is surprisingly difficult to figure out whether the writer is female or male. A few time I had assumed that a writer was a male, but when I would look at the back of the book where the author bibliography is, I would find out that the author is actually a female! I have always assumed this is because some authors are homosexual or maybe they admire that certain name and they want others to see such a great name on the cover of a book.

What do you guys think?

:D :techie-studyinggray: :D
KStephens
Currently Reading: Anchor of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KStephens »

Haha, yes. I quite like Nicholas Sparks's ability to write from the female POV. He pulls it off pretty well!
Jaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaw.html

Post by Jaw »

Happens with me all the time.
I honestly don't even both thinking about the author's gender anymore.
(Not that I ever did very much in the first place.)
Some others *do* seem to intentionally create ambiguous pen names.

I wonder sometimes if the pen names actually have an impact on a book's sales and popularity.
Would Harry Potter be what it is if it were published by "Joanne Rowling"?
"J.K." just makes her name sound more magical and mysterious.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

A lot of the time I don't even notice the authors name. Unless I really enjoyed the book, then I'll take notice and be sure to look out for other books of theirs.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It happens to me now and then. When I am not sure, I check the back cover or look for details on the net.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I don`t really think about what gender it is when its unknown what gender wrote the book.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
booksandstuff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandstuff.html

Post by booksandstuff »

I love not knowing, if the author writes in an amazing POV, i don't care if they are female or male.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

When I read The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton in 7th grade, my class was informed by a teacher about female authors not having as much positive feedback as male authors. I forget what the gist of the message my teacher was getting across, but I remember it went something like this:

"Do you know why this author's name is the way it is?" The teacher caught our attention. I did not think much of it at first. I just thought...ok, this is a book written by S. E. Hinton, which I knew was female to begin with when we were given quizzes on the book. The teacher then said, "most readers during the time period that this book was published did not admire female writers as they did with male writers. So, she put her first two initials and her last name in order to attract ALL readers."

I am not sure if my teacher was disregarding complex information that would have provided a more in-depth truth or facts pertaining to this author, but I pretty much deciphered her message as: S. E. Hinton did not want her books or writings judged if she displayed her full name, which is a female name. I even came across some people in college who thought The Outsiders was written by a male author. I was surprised that other people knew why the author displayed her name as she did. Therefore, I do not care if the author is male or female. It is all interesting to know HOW they display their name in the literature world.
LBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by LBrown »

Yes this happens to me as well. I normally check half way through the book.
brianference

Post by brianference »

This happens to me all the time, usually the author is female when it does
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I usually check if the author's name is gender neutral. It doesn't really matter whether or not the author is male or female, if the story seems intriguing I will check it out.
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 »

I don't really ever care whether it's a male or female if I can't tell.
In fact, it almost makes the book easier for me to enjoy because I'm not coloring all the writing with the knowledge of their gender and how I think that gender would typically write.
Gender is illusion and I even think it would be better if every author had a pseudonym.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Rachel Christina wrote:Does anyone else who is reading a book, look at the author's name and not know whether that name is for a female or male?

I sure hope I am not the only one who has this problem...

Since a lot of authors create pen names so that their real name is hidden or they do not like their real name to be published, it is surprisingly difficult to figure out whether the writer is female or male. A few time I had assumed that a writer was a male, but when I would look at the back of the book where the author bibliography is, I would find out that the author is actually a female! I have always assumed this is because some authors are homosexual or maybe they admire that certain name and they want others to see such a great name on the cover of a book.

What do you guys think?

:D :techie-studyinggray: :D
Oftentimes publishers will decide that an author's work will be published under a penname. J.K. Rowling for instance. Female fantasy writers weren't selling at the time, so "Joanne" Rowling became "J.K. Rowling" so she'd be mistaken, purposely, for male. This has happened to other authors I read.
The twist is that females are now outselling males.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

With what I read, mostly romance and teen fiction, I generally think it's female. But yeah, if it has a female name, I have no idea if it actually is a male or female who wrote it. I think, if they're that good then you won't be able to tell one way or another.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Yes, I sometimes wonder that, and then I do a quick search on the internet to see if the author is male or female. But usually, I do not pay that much attention to it- if the book is good, is written well, then I don't really have a preference. I read a lot of horror, and that tends to be written by males, but really, it just depends.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman

Return to “Discuss Authors”