How did J.K. Rowling pull it off?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: How did J.K. Rowling pull it off?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I don't have all the facts, but based on what I know, I think that she struck gold because her books are awesome.

Suppose she'd forged that massive contract, but then her books tanked. We wouldn't know the difference, would we? We wouldn't know her name.

But the publisher's gamble paid off, so we do know who she is. And who she is, is one amazing author. The atmosphere she creates and the characters are out of this world. It's mind-boggling. And the way she aged the characters, making them gradually maturing each year (as normal people do when they go from grade 6 through grade 12) was stunning.

I'm not a total fan of hers--I hated her seventh book and I only made it halfway through. But to answer the question about her success, I think she earned it. A lot of agents' web sites say, "Don't get discouraged. The stars have to be in alignment for your book to get published." They say that for two reasons: 1) They don't want any writers to get mad at them over being rejected. 2) They don't want to just say, "We reject bad writing."

But Rowling is amazing. Any idiots who rejected her books before she struck gold have to be beating themselves up at this point.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:I don't have all the facts, but based on what I know, I think that she struck gold because her books are awesome.

Suppose she'd forged that massive contract, but then her books tanked. We wouldn't know the difference, would we? We wouldn't know her name.

But the publisher's gamble paid off, so we do know who she is. And who she is, is one amazing author. The atmosphere she creates and the characters are out of this world. It's mind-boggling. And the way she aged the characters, making them gradually maturing each year (as normal people do when they go from grade 6 through grade 12) was stunning.

I'm not a total fan of hers--I hated her seventh book and I only made it halfway through. But to answer the question about her success, I think she earned it. A lot of agents' web sites say, "Don't get discouraged. The stars have to be in alignment for your book to get published." They say that for two reasons: 1) They don't want any writers to get mad at them over being rejected. 2) They don't want to just say, "We reject bad writing."

But Rowling is amazing. Any idiots who rejected her books before she struck gold have to be beating themselves up at this point.
:text-yeahthat:

I love her books and think them awesome! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Woo hoo!! Thanks, Gali!! I love her books too!!
Abigail-Smith95
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-smith95.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Abigail-Smith95 »

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, not like my husband is anyway! But I find her story an inspiration. She picked herself up financially in the most amazing way ever. She is loved renoundly around the world for capturing both children and adults imagination. Not everyone will be a fan. You can't win everybody over. However, not everyone can do what she did.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Perhaps it was just that she wrote well, and the publishers recognized potential. It was a great series, and she deserved all that she got
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
GandalfTheFey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GandalfTheFey »

I have no idea how she did that. Maybe the books were just so incredible (even to advance readers in the publishing house) that they knew they had better stay on her good side from the start?
j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by j p gilbert »

In my opinion, her style evolves as we read deeper into her series.
Some say our future is written, mine must be in invisible ink.
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson

Return to “Discuss Authors”