J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
EmJo21
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjo21.html

J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

Post by EmJo21 »

Who do you think is a better author? J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?
They both are phenomenal authors, however statistically speaking J.K. has had a lot more success than Riordan. Her book series having global success alongside successful movies as well. Her books were a gateway for many young readers to explore their imagination and creativity. Not to say that Riordan's books weren't successful but retrospectively J.K. has had far more success and her books have continued to populate interest even as we are passing the eighteen year mark since the first book was published in the UK.
Dezu44
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezu44.html

Post by Dezu44 »

Hi, good question. I have to say that J.K. Rowling's books have sold better than Rick Riordan's for a reason. I won't even try to determine which author is better--that would produce very biased answers. I like Harry Potter more than the Percy Jackson series, but that's just me. Anyways, I will point out that J.K. Rowling was much more of a success commercially because it was incredibly original (one of the first times, wizards were shown in a positive light) and the movies were well done and stayed true to the novels. Percy Jackson while original, did not become a huge success in the movie theaters. When we change a book into a movie, it can either create a terrible movie or create an amazing one that only contributes to the book's success. In terms of commercial success, J.K. Rowling won.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I have read both the Harry Potter series and The Percy Jackson series. Both definitely have wonderful qualities about them and are very entertaining, I would have to say that I favor J.K. Rowling more. She is the reason why I love to read (never really liked it before I started to read her books back in middle school), and she will always hold a special place in heart because of that.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Nive_thereader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nive-thereader.html

Post by Nive_thereader »

I love j.k.Rowling because she was one of the few authors from my childhood who got me hooked on books as a kid. But I may also be partial to Rick Riordan because he introduced me to the world of Greek mythology which I found to be a very mysterious and addictive info-generating world in general and hence I think both of them equally have a place in my heart amongst my favourite authors of all time!!!
CynthiaG0199
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthiag0199.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by CynthiaG0199 »

I love both of them! Rowling has had more financial success though. I think if the Percy Jackson movie had been done better, the series would have gotten even more successful than it did. I think the movie stunk. Both authors have created incredible worlds and characters that I love. I just don't think I could choose one over the other. I can reread both series over and over.
chaterinegunawan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaterinegunawan.html

Post by chaterinegunawan »

Since I prefer both it's hard to say.. But i like JK more than Rick. JK's writings are magnificent! It has literature in it, not just an easy-reading book. I like reading a book that makes me think to interpret each word. It's magical. Not to say that Rick's writings is way too easy or stuffs but as you know Percy Jackson's is book for kids. That's why he uses easy-reading style of writing.
Nicolekailyn
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolekailyn.html

Post by Nicolekailyn »

I would have to agree with J.K Rowling. Her books alone have encouraged so many people to read. There has to be someone out there that got their start reading Harry Potter, and now can't stop reading. Not to mention, people are still widely talking about the books, even after all this time. They come up with theories that even intrigue J.K herself.
marina7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina7.html
Latest Review: "Rise of the boy god" by Samuel Mogbolu

Post by marina7 »

Both are great writers. For J.K. Rowling, her writing style is more grown-up than Rick Riordan's, although both plots and story lines are astounding. Along with that in J.K. Rowling's there are a lot of inner meanings and symbolism, like Professor Trelawney's prediction of Harry's birthday that actually corresponds to Voldemort's. I can always reread both over and over though!!
Latest Review: "Rise of the boy god" by Samuel Mogbolu
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I definitely enjoy the series written by both authors but they are two very different styles of writing and I find it difficult to compare them because of that.

I will say that when Order of the Phoenix came out we bought two copies because neither my husband nor I were willing to concede first reading rights. :lol: That hasn't happened with a Riordan book yet.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
ElenaHVy
Favorite Author: Undecided
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenahvy.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by ElenaHVy »

I love both authors equally!! Can't really determine who is better because they both write differently. "Life was like a box of chocolates..." Like that quote, books are like a box of chocolates where the genre is the type of choclate and the authors are different flavors. Successfully, J. K. Rowling, but success doesn't mean the better writer; it's just good agent and PR. I love mythology and magic (fantasy), so for me, it's both not one or the other. :D
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

My opinion reflects that of many voiced above. Personally, I think it is actually tough to compare the writing styles. I read the Harry Potter series starting when I was in middle school and have reread it multiple times since. I only recently was introduced to the Percy Jackson series. I am on the last book now. Even though the target audience is the same for both books, I think Rowling's books are written at a higher reading level than Riordian's. I found Rowling's books to be captivating from start to finish throughout the series, while Riordan's were a little rougher at the start. I must say the later books seem to be written better than the earlier ones.

As far as success goes, I agree that the huge differences between the books and the movies for the Percy Jackson series plays a huge role in the flop that occurred after their premier. I was in a state of shock when I started reading the books and found how far the movies strayed from the books, especially the second one. It's no wonder that there hasn't been one since! The early Harry Potter films remained in line with the overall storyline from the books, with minor details being removed. Some of the later films (I'm talking about you number 6!) deviated more, but still remained true to the books. Film adaptations can have a huge impact on the popularity of books.

I can't say that I prefer one author over the other because each one's writing style is so different and enjoyable.
Journey beyond the jacket.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I greatly prefer Harry Potter. I tried to read Riordian's series, and I didn't make it more than a few chapters. The issue was that the main character's life was too depressing!! If I recall, he had acne, he had a stepdad who stole his lunch money, he had a severe learning disorder, etc. Harry Potter had a depressing life too, but he didn't have to deal with a learning disorder all those years at Hogwarts! Rowling made his issues magically infused. Riordian failed in that regard, and I just couldn't keep reading.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hm...I didn't think about how depressing the main character's life was. I was younger when I read the series, discovering the world of books. I'll have to pick it up again to refresh my memory. Interesting thoughts!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved both series, but I prefer Harry Potter.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:If I recall, he had acne, he had a stepdad who stole his lunch money, he had a severe learning disorder, etc. Harry Potter had a depressing life too, but he didn't have to deal with a learning disorder all those years at Hogwarts! Rowling made his issues magically infused. Riordian failed in that regard, and I just couldn't keep reading.
Alright, plot spoiler alert! I picked up the Percy Jackson series only in the past few months. I only have the 5th book left. The first book does start off with Percy's life in the normal world, before he knew he was the son of Poseidon. After he goes to Camp Half-Blood and becomes friends with Grover, he learns a lot more about himself and his life. First, what kid doesn't have acne? I'm not sure that that's a depressing thing, but probably the only normal thing about Percy. Second, his mother married his stepfather because he smelled so bad that the monsters couldn't smell Percy. As the son of one of the "big three" gods, Percy had a stronger smell than most half-bloods. Since his mom kept his stepdad around, the monsters couldn't find Percy and he was able to live a relatively normal life. Eventually he mysteriously disappears ;). Third, Percy doesn't really have learning disabilities. His ADHD is a manifestation of his warrior instincts growing and developing. As a Greek warrior he needs to be prepared to fight at all times, so sitting still isn't his thing. His dyslexia is a manifestation of his ability to read Greek.

That being said, I do feel the first book spends a lot of time on Percy's pre-half-blood life, so it's a bit slow, but once he goes to camp things progress more quickly. Future books spend less time on the mundane things. If you enjoy Harry Potter I believe you can enjoy Percy Jackson, so don't give up on it yet! :)
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “Discuss Authors”