Favourite thriller authors!

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
EmmaMaisyKaiser
Bookshelf Size: 0

Favourite thriller authors!

Post by EmmaMaisyKaiser »

Hi all, I'm new to this so first of all let me say I look forward to reading your reviews, discussing them and hopefully finding some new authors along the way!! :) I thought I would tell you who my favourite authors are, you will notice a theme as they are all thriller genre and mainly about dectives and crime. I really like Chris Carter, his books are a great read and hook you from the first chapter! I also really enjoy John Lutz, his books have been ones I have been reluctant to put down lol!! For an easy read I like James Patterson, I find his short chapters good if I just want to read a little before doing something else, it seems like I can just pick it up and still follow the plot easily. Tanya Carver, Mark Billingham, Luke Delaney, Simon Kernick and James Carol and also authors I enjoy. All of these authors with the exception of James Patterson are ones I have discovered only in the last few years but I'm very glad I did discover them!!
GWOTVet
Currently Reading: Uranium Drive-In
Bookshelf Size: 601
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwotvet.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by GWOTVet »

Hi there, I am new too! I have to be cliché on this one and go with Stephen King as my favorite thriller author! Although I will say his older stuff is much better than his newer stuff. I also love Dan Brown, Michael Connelly, John Grisham, Scott Turow, Tom Clancy and numerous others. I am behind the times with James Patterson, as I haven't read anything by him yet, but I plan to in the very near future!
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

Welcome to the forums you guys!! I actually decided to check this post out because I wanted to see some suggestions of good thriller authors because I actually haven't read many as I used to be a huge scaredy cat when it came to anything like that, so I've only read Ted Dekker (who you should totally check out by the way, because his thriller books are phenomenal).
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
GWOTVet
Currently Reading: Uranium Drive-In
Bookshelf Size: 601
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwotvet.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by GWOTVet »

Thanks for the suggestion KitKat_Reader, I will definitely add him to my list of authors to check out! Also, in my previous post I forgot to mention Patricia Cornwell. If you haven't read any of her books yet I would highly recommend you check her out, especially her Kay Scarpetta series. :D
milfy432
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milfy432.html

Post by milfy432 »

James Patterson is relatively new to me ( discovered about 18 months ago) but up there now amongst my all time favourite authors. The Private series is good but I really enjoy the Lindsey Boxer stories ( 1st - 13th ).
EmmaMaisyKaiser

Post by EmmaMaisyKaiser »

Thanks kitkat for the suggestion I will check him out!! Milfy432 I've just started another James Patterson NYPD Red 3, it's looking ok so far!! :)
Let me know if you try out any of the authors I mentioned, if love to know what you think of them!! Have a great afternoon peeps :)
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

Harlan Coben, his Myron Bolitar series had me hooked and I loved his stand alone books as well. I sit on the edge of my seat reading his books trying to figure them out.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Omarflor
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omarflor.html

Post by Omarflor »

Personally my favorite thriller author is Dean Koontz. Sure his stories are a lot of times a bit too cheesy and his novels commonly mix with supernatural or science fiction elements but i still love the suspense that he can create.
I barely started out with thriller novels, besides James Patterson and Stephen King, do you have any recommendations?
lauraforever
Currently Reading: True detectives
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraforever.html

Post by lauraforever »

Have any of you read James Rollins? I am not sure if he is exactly a thriller novelist, however, the authors that you all mentioned are the same authors that I read. I got hooked on James Rollins a few years ago, and I am also looking to branch out because books come out way too slow or else I read way too fast.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
marriedtoallen
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marriedtoallen.html

Post by marriedtoallen »

Stephen King and John Grisham are a tie for me, they arex both very detailed writers and make me feel that I am write their in the picture seeing everything.
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

I have so many of them...Patricia Cornwell, James Peterson, J.D. Robb, Terri Blackstock and the list goes on and on.
William Alan Webb

Post by William Alan Webb »

Hi everybody, I'm the new guy here, too. As a thriller writer myself, I love a LOT of them. I'll try to mention some I haven't seen yet.

Robert Crais is great. I really love Max Allan Collins, although these are mysteries, not straight up thrillers. Joshua Hood is new and excellent. Mark Greaney writes the Jack Ryan series of Tom Clancy books, as well as his own Gray Man series. Michael Connelly never fails to deliver.

That's off the top of my head.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I so love to read John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson. John Grisham steals me. Once I start, I can't stop unless something comes up. Once I start Patricia Cornwell, won't even stop if something comes up. But I prefer John Grisham, maybe because I can relate with his works since I'm a law student.
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

Wow at least am getting to learn more about other great authors from you guys.I really appreciate this.
bmfought
Currently Reading: Resisting the Bad Boy
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmfought.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bmfought »

Thrillers are my main category I always come back to. I could list so many different ones but I LOVE Iris Johansen.
James Patterson, JD Robb, Brandilyn Collins, John Sandford...theres so many good ones.

Return to “Discuss Authors”