Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Vulgate
Currently Reading: Conceived Without Sin (Pierced by a Sword #2)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vulgate.html

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by Vulgate »

Rowling without a doubt. I was reading Harry Potter as a kid.
Jade Evans
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jade Evans »

I would say Stephanie Meyer, only because I'm not really a Harry Potter fan.
mjames20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjames20.html

Post by mjames20 »

I agree with zjones99, even if Rowling a sell-out.
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

I am a bit of an "outsider looking in" as I have not finished either of the author's famed series and am definitely not a part of either of their followings. Neither truly grab my attention, and are also not in my realm of reading. If I had to read one of the two's entire series though, I would be inclined to choose Rowling. JK Rowling mostly given how well she was able to expand her first novel and create a vast, diverse following. Twilight readers I talk to tend to be young women, whereas the Harry Potter fans I know are a more diverse group.
BarbaraBrien
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by BarbaraBrien »

JK Rowling, all day every day.
BethRodgersAuthor

Post by BethRodgersAuthor »

I have only read the first book of the Twilight series, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would after hearing so many comments, both positive and negative, about it. However, I have to say, hands down, that J.K. Rowling is far superior. Her writing and concentration on details exceed anyone's highest expectations. Her seventh novel in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, answers every question I had and showcases her ability to create such a true-to-life story that I was emotionally spent by the end of the series (in the best possible way).

Beth Rodgers, Author of Freshman Fourteen and Sweet Fifteen, Young Adult Novels
Kwatson13

Post by Kwatson13 »

JK Rowling for being willing to voice an opinion even on controversial issues.
Beth Perry

Post by Beth Perry »

J. K. Rowling all day! I have read both series in full and while I enjoyed the Twilight series, I did not find it as imaginative as Harry Potter. Magic trumps vampire and werewolf in my book.

Maybe I am just a child at heart since Potter was technically a young adult series. I thought it was much more thought provoking than Twilight.
ALVande
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Currently Reading: Dragonmark
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alvande.html
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by ALVande »

JK Rowling. Harry Potter was the first series. I will always have a special place in my heart for Ronald Weasley. I thought Meyer was okay in high school, but Bella's romance with Edward was kind of...clingy. Also, I'm still a little sour that she didn't chose Jacob. I mean, he was nicer.

The HP world has depth. It has a past that we are STILL exploring today as in Fantastic Beasts. We have Pottermore and so many other fan based things. And who doesn't love magic?
Nix

Post by Nix »

I prefer JK Rowling for quite a few reasons. Her writing style is absolutely without a doubt amazing, the characters are well developed and thought out. The world that she is drawing us into have been developed to a point where a reader can get lost in. Plot holes are filled. I'm not left with questions as to why something happened or what happened to this timeline. I love the colorful way she "Paints" her tales and stories. The characters and the "verse have depths and mystery to it. There's a reason for why someone is like they are and she lets those reasons be known when it's time for them to be.

The Harry Potter Verse will be classics and read for years to come by many generations. At least in my opnion.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

These two authors should not be compared since the genre is so different for each writer. Yes both writers are writing books that appeal to teens but the comparisons stop there. The Harry Potter series is a classic tale of good versus evil while the Twilight series is more of a love story. In terms of literary ability, I would have to say the Rowling is a better writer. Her ability to create the world of witches and wizardry that was Hogwarts and the many fantastical beasts, spells, and situations is phenomenal.
cspoe13

Post by cspoe13 »

JK Rowling!! I feel that her books involve more adventure and imagination, as well as,depth. Her characters are more intriguing and her direction keeps you wanting more. I feel that her books also appeal to a larger demographic.
crlanei
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crlanei.html

Post by crlanei »

SarahEOlivier wrote:Which do you like better and why?
I'm not a big fan of either, in the sense that neither appealed to me in a huge way but I've had a much better impression of JK Rowling because she seems to take writing more seriously. Something about that appeals to me.
ShaneDevante

Post by ShaneDevante »

Rowling, without a doubt. The Harry Potter series is well-written, makes great use of literary devices - the red herrings about Snape, for instance - and her non-HP work is rather well put together, even if it doesn't have the same charm.

Meyer wrote Twilight, which was boring, very purple in its prose, amateurish, and the characters were weak and had little to no depth. The Host wasn't anything to write home about either. Recently, she stooped to the level of doing a genderswap of her own novel and asking people to fork out money for the same story with genders swapped. Really, it's just sad.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Another J K Rowling fan here. I have read both authors, but the wizarding world is definitely the one I prefer. Rowling's characters are better developed and her settings rich in description.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Return to “Discuss Authors”