Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by Lauren M »

JK Rowling, HP is a timeless story whether you are 12 or 90. I really enjoyed The Twilight Saga when I was in 10th grade and pining over a guy. Thinking that love was so intense and life changing. Now that i'm older, Twilight just doesn't have the same spark that it did.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
IsoldeSkogsra
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isoldeskogsra.html

Post by IsoldeSkogsra »

JK Rowling. She is my inspiration as an aspiring author.
CaitlinE
Currently Reading: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitline.html

Post by CaitlinE »

JK Rowling. I like Stephenie Meyer books when I was a teenager, but ultimately grew out of them. JK Rowling's books are not only timeless, but inspired a generation.
OliviaWayne
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliviawayne.html

Post by OliviaWayne »

JK Rowling for me. I've read both. I felt that JK Rowling did a better job of character building, or maybe I just felt more connected to her characters.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I enjoyed both books immensely but now that I am older, I will read J.K. Rowling before I will reread any of Stephanie Meyers books.:)
rosec

Post by rosec »

I preferred Stephenie Mayer.
Vampire romance for teenagers and magic boarding school fantasy for the under 12's is not really the best basis for comparison
Also considering the difference in age group and that romance is such a different style and genre to JK Rowling's writing.
Sean Wheeler
Bookshelf Size: 3
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Flying Boy

Post by Sean Wheeler »

Joanne Kathleen Rowling. She has a great Harry Potter universe.
athaag
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athaag.html

Post by athaag »

I most certainly prefer JK Rowling. I find not only her writing style much more enjoyable, but her overall character and story development in her books as well. Where Stephenie Meyer's books were okay when I read them, JK Rowling's books were wonderful, and I have read them multiple times.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I would go ahead and agree with most people in this forum that it would be JK Rowling. Her characters are well-rounded and fun. S. Meyer's characters are also good, and she has been able to sell her books quite well. But, something about sparkling vampires is a turn off to me, as an intelligent human being.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

I don't think you can compare Meyer to JK Rowling. They're just on completely different levels. I prefer Rowling, without a doubt.
Meyers writing is quite problematic with her depiction of characters and such, and she's just not very imaginative. The ending was terrible too. Bella had no flaws, and was just "perfect".
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

How is this even a question!? LOL. I grew up with J.K.'s Harry Potter series and I have never read anything so magical in my life. The main reasons I love J.K. Rowling and could live with out Meyer are that Rowling creates an entire universe, cleverly. Her stories are enthralling and connected in ways you can't see until the end. Meyer spun a good tale but overall her books were not memorable. To me, there is no comparison, J.K. Rowling for sure.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

This is difficult for me to decide on because one is American and one is British. Can I choose both?

Think about it:

Both authors wrote about stories in their country's cultural perspective. Imagine if Twilight was written in the British context and Harry Potter was written in the American context. Today, there will be a wizarding world that will have its own names and places in America. In my opinion, the Twilight characters were diverse from country to country, but the story was primarily placed in America. Then, readers were falling in love with characters from both Meyer's books and Rowling's books. This is why it is difficult for me to choose between these two authors. It is like comparing Apples to Oranges rather than Granny Smith Apples to Fuji Apples.

I have to admit that this has me thinking now. :D
redfoxx1978
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by redfoxx1978 »

I love JK Rowling but after writing my own novels and hearing critiques from editors, I re-read JK and realized she didn't do a lot of what they suggested. There was no deep POV
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

J.K Rowling. Stephanie Meyer's series was very entertaining but Harry Potter had a bigger and lasting impression on me.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Aruss2015

Post by Aruss2015 »

Rowling has my vote here. Each one of her books flows and ties together nicely. Meyer on the other hand had started off well until we got to the final book. Meyer'''s last book felt rushed and too many new characters were introduced at once. I honestly kept forgetting who was who. So, yes, definitely Rowling

Return to “Discuss Authors”