Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Wow, I was all excited to defend Rowling... It seems we are of a like mind. Rowling seems to be winning this battle. I will say I enjoyed the "Harry Potter" series much more as an adult and my girls seem to love Mayer as tweens so maybe it's an age thing?
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

B3cca 3ll3r wrote:I will say I enjoyed the "Harry Potter" series much more as an adult and my girls seem to love Mayer as tweens so maybe it's an age thing?
I don't think it's an age thing, to be honest. I'm an early teenager, and love JK Rowling much more than I like Stephenie Meyer
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

zaynab_m wrote:
B3cca 3ll3r wrote:I will say I enjoyed the "Harry Potter" series much more as an adult and my girls seem to love Mayer as tweens so maybe it's an age thing?
I don't think it's an age thing, to be honest. I'm an early teenager, and love JK Rowling much more than I like Stephenie Meyer
Maybe it just a personal thing? I was shocked to see how quickly my 14 and 12 year olds went through the "twilight" series. I managed to make it through "Harry Potter" in about two months but for the most part until then the girls only ready when they had to. I got to the point where I actually paid them to read books and do book repeats for me just to keep them reading. After "Twilight" they started to actually like reading. Who knows how these things work?
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
jayjay14
Currently Reading: The Mind Thieves
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by jayjay14 »

Jk Rowling, hands down. It's kinda ridiculous that the two would even be compared to one another. Their most famous series' Twilight and Harry Potter, One is a love story and one is a coming of age story. Now I don't want to completely trash Stephenie Meyer because I will admit to being amused for the first three books in the Twilight series. They were page turners, but not necessarily in a good way. I keep reading because I wanted to see if Bella would actually become a whole person? Would Edward eventually manifest into a lovable character? None of that happened for me and by the fourth book, when finally, FINALLY, the suppressed sexual tension should have manifested, sweetly, if not a little reservedly, SHE GETS PREGNANT with a cannibal fetus, I wanted to tear my eyes out of my skull. Of course she gets pregnant after her first sexual encounter. Why wouldn't she? She becomes obsessed with a narcissistic mass murderer, revolves her happiness around his incessant self deprecation, and blandly fornicates after three books of literary foreplay. UGH. The only real, three dimensional character in the entire series was Jacob, who at least had hopes, goals, drive, and a tinge of common sense. I almost feel dirty trying to compare it with Harry Potter. The first several books in the Harry Potter series were so difficult for me to read. They are written to inspire children who are age equivalent to the characters, so I found the books to be somewhat tiresome in their over simplified vernacular usage. Whatever, I'm a grown up. Regardless, by the third or fourth book you become emotionally invested in Harry, Hermione, and Ron's struggles and victories during their attendance at Hogwarts. They are each three dimensional people, with families and sorrow and happiness and goals. The characters grow, physically and emotionally throughout the series, which Bella certainly did not. Most importantly the Harry Potter series made me feel for the characters. I cried with Ron, and laughed at Neville, I worried about Hagrid, as though they were people I knew. Meyer's Bella the flat, single focused, twitterpated idiot couldn't hold a candle to Rowling's Potter and Co.
Mgithens1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgithens1.html

Post by Mgithens1 »

I prefer Stephenie Meyer, she' kept me more captivated in her series.
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

Seems like a trick question? Sadly I have not ready any Meyer so I am not really qualified to answer this question!
Kira Inara

Post by Kira Inara »

I love them both! Have read every book they have written. But if we are considering rereading the books often then yes Harry Potter is a winner! Meyer books can be reread a couple of times but then it gets monotonous. But Meyer's book The Host has some nice concepts.
TRose73
Currently Reading: Soul Magic
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trose73.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by TRose73 »

Rowling is definitely ahead of Meyer in my book. I have read both the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series, and the best I can say about Meyer is that she had a rather unique idea about the myth of vampires burning in sunlight. It caught my attention for certain, and I even applauded her for it. And while I did enjoy it for the most part, the inclusion of so much teenage love drama detracted from the story for me. It just is not my cup of tea, and I will probably never re-read it given a choice.

Rowling, on the other hand, I find to be enticing to return to. Children's books? I don't think so. They appealed to me long before the movies came out. I could not put them down and found myself regretting the return to reality when I did so. The world of wizards is so rich and vibrant that even though there was a battle of epic proportions looming on the horizon which seemed inevitable, what I really wanted to do was jump into those pages. That is the kind of writing a reader will return to over and over again, even though they know the story.
aelinrowan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aelinrowan.html

Post by aelinrowan »

I think that Rowling is the better of the two. I've read the Harry Potter series and Twilight series, and for me, the writing just wasn't as strong for the Twilight series as it was consistently throughout the Harry Potter series.
EmmaBear91
Currently Reading: Parasite
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmabear91.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by EmmaBear91 »

While both of these women are extremely talented writers, I have to side with JK Rowling. While twilight was a good series, I absolutely love Harry Potter. JK thrilled millions with the twists and mysteries and drama of the series. She wrote the books that were turned into great movies.
KBrothers805
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbrothers805.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KBrothers805 »

That's a very hard question to answer because I personally think their writing styles are completely different. If I was to go off each of their smash hits (Harry Potter and Twilight Series), then I would have to say J.K Rowling. I thoroughly enjoyed both series, but J.K Rowling had a lot more in-depth characters and storylines. I did like Twilight because of the romance factor but compared to just the characters alone, J.K Rowling really put in a lot of work to establish each and every character in the entire series (which there were quite a lot of characters to follow).
cpullano
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpullano.html

Post by cpullano »

I prefer Rowling to Meyer. While both had engaging stories, I felt that Rowling's writing was far better qualitatively (I found a lot of grammatical issues in Twilight that left me struggling to read it). I also adamantly share keisha_jc's opinion that Rowling took much more risk and consequently had the more interesting books.

As for ImpatientTypists question, I greatly enjoyed Harry Potter. The last few books (minus 5, which was too angsty for me) were actually my favorites. I'd be interested to see everyone posting's ages. I feel like this had a lot to do with my engagement in the books. By the time the last book came out I was around Harry's age, and I thought Rowling did a phenomenal job of aging her characters along with her audience (one of the reasons I think she is the better writer). The stories, as fantastical as they were, were relatable in their own way.
Rhiannon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiannon.html

Post by Rhiannon »

This is a tough question. I have read both series and the writing style the depth of characters and setting hands down J.K Rowling wins. But for me personally to go back and reread one of the series i choose the Twilight series and Stephanie Meyer. I believe since i grew up reading both of these books the emotions invoked in me personally was more based on Bella then it was on Harry Potter and the group. Both are Fiction but the twilight had more real life factors going on. With divorced parents an actual real school and falling in love as a teenager and the dreaded love triangle Bella went through.
Last edited by Rhiannon on 09 Dec 2015, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
f_the_merch

Post by f_the_merch »

J. K. Rowling. Definitely. Her writing styles is so much better.

-- 10 Dec 2015, 04:01 --

J. K. Rowling. Definitely. Her writing styles is so much better.
naya
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by naya »

I think Stephenie Meyer did a great job creating a unique and believable sci-fi world in "The Host." That being said, I wasn't very impressed with the quality of writing or the world building she produced from the Twilight series. If I had to pick one author, I'd pick JK Rowling's because even though her writing is (at times) just as poor as Meyer's, at least hers was geared toward children. With each book she improved the quality and the world she created was absolutely phenomenal. There's a reason Universal Studios has two Harry Potter theme parks!

Return to “Discuss Authors”