Rainbow Rowell

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
cate__
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate.html

Rainbow Rowell

Post by cate__ »

So I've read two of Rowell's books: Eleanor and Park and Fangirl. Whilst I completely adored Eleanor and Park, I simply didn't feel the same way about Fangirl! It was just too boring. Anyone else feel the same way? Are any of Rowell's other books worth reading?
Melrn
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrn.html

Post by Melrn »

I've read all of them now. She's a good writer and I enjoyed all of them, but Eleanor&park was the best. I liked Fangirl but honestly got a little bored with the fanfiction background. I think I ended up skimming it when the fan fiction parts got too lengthy.

-- 24 Jun 2015, 22:14 --

I do like her relationships in her books. In Fangirl, I think the sisters relationship and their relationship with their dad is very well done. Attachments js alright, landline better I ţhink. Landline is another interesting relationship and trying to figure out when exactly did a marriage fall apart. But Eleanor&park had SO much going on with everyone, and explored it with the added stress of abuse in their home. I couldn't put it down.
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by krood10 »

I have read Fangirl and Eleanor and Park. Eleanor and Park is a beautiful piece of writing. It is by far my favorite of her books. I also loved Fangirl. I will admit that I identified with Cath, which may have improved my opinion of the piece. I loved her relationships with the different characters in the book. I think Eleanor and Park will withstand the test of time better than Fangirl.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
smurfette2580
Currently Reading: How to Win at Feminism
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smurfette2580.html

Post by smurfette2580 »

Oh, wow, I liked Fangirl better. Maybe because I related to her more. I did kind of want to smack Cath for ignoring her responsibilities, though . . .
Olivia Parker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-parker.html

Post by Olivia Parker »

Eleanor and Park I think was just written better, but I did like Fangirl quite a bit. I feel like Fangirl missed the mark a little bit with me because I'm not really into fanfiction. However Eleanor and Park was pretty amazing!
JCSparkles

Post by JCSparkles »

I was the same. I absolutely adored the book Eleanor and Park but when I tried reading Fangirl I was put in a short reading slump. It had taken me so long to get around to reading Fangirl, I only began reading it again because I had heard that Rainbow Rowell would be writing another book, Carry On. Carry On, if you recall, was the fanfiction that Cath had spent so much time writing. Reading Carry On was not a mistake. I hadn't been expecting much from Carry On but I fell in love with the book. It had been so much more interesting than Fangirl, I had actually been upset that I had finished the book. I really do suggest that you that you try reading Carry On.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I've heard so much of Rainbow Rowell lately but i haven't read any of her stuff. My interest is piqued now, so I think I'll grab a copy of one of her books. Eleanor and Park seems to be a common favorite, so i think I'll start with this one.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ximenaperez
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ximenaperez.html

Post by Ximenaperez »

I had the same feeling but a week ago I read Landline and loved it. She is a really good author and love how she described relationships and people. Both Landline and Attachments are really good and I enjoyed them more than Fangirl.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I liked Eleanor and Park and Fangirl in different ways. In Eleanor and Park, I liked the characters and sympathized with them and thought they were adorable and will never forget the "let's go get some pizza" "actually, the two of you can go get some pizza" scene. However, in Fangirl, I empathised with Cath and understood her but didn't really care too much for other things, such as the fanfiction. I am definitely still planning to read Carry On, though, it seems quite daunting with so many pages! Also, Attachments is awkwardly adorable.
My weekend is all booked!
Clara907
Currently Reading:

Post by Clara907 »

Carry on is one of my favorites!! I might have liked it even better than Fangirl. The romance between Simon and Baz is wonderful and the plot twist at the end... let’s just say you won’t want to put it down after you reach halfway through. Happy reading!
Hadiya101

Post by Hadiya101 »

I liked all of her books but have yet to read land line. Elanore and Park had a bitter sweet ending and had everyone guessing what the three words were. Any guesses? But I absolutely loved attachments not only because it had a lovely ending but also because I love the books written in a letter format. Carry on was great but I felt like some of the things could have been explained better and in details.
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

Fangirl (and Carry On) are some of my favorite books. I relate very strongly to Cath so I suspect that's partly why. I'm ecstatic because the sequel to Carry On is coming out this year! Plus, it's called Wayward Son, a nod to a song that's the theme song for my favorite show.
Comment on my review and I'll comment on yours. I'm always looking for new books to read!

"..one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." - Shakespeare
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I have Fangirl though I haven't gotten around to reading it. I also read a fanfic years ago that was heavily based of Eleanor and Park. I know it doesn't qualify as having read the book but I have a rough idea of the plot.
illgiveuthesun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by illgiveuthesun »

Oh my god yes same!!! Eleanor & Park is one of my favourite books of all time, so I decided to read Fangirl because of all the hype surrounding it. Unfortunately, the book did not live up to my expectations and I was super disappointed.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I read Eleanor and Park quite a few years ago but it continues to be my favourite book till date. Fangirl could get boring at times cause all her fandom references didn't really make sense to someone not familiar with it, but since I was a fanfiction writer at the time, I could relate to an extent. I haven't ready any other books by Rainbow Rowell but I sure plan to!
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.

Return to “Discuss Authors”