Which author do you constantly recommend?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
laurelinarien
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurelinarien.html
Latest Review: "My Life, My Soul" by Ivette Attaud

Re: Which author do you constantly recommend?

Post by laurelinarien »

I guess it depends on the genre preferences of the person I am talking to, but Jess Walter and John Green usually make the list.
Latest Review: "My Life, My Soul" by Ivette Attaud
annaliseberkeley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by annaliseberkeley »

I am a frequent recommender of Lisa See among my friends, lending them her books often (whether they actually read them or not), and occasionally even giving them a copy so the guilt will make them more likely to do so (I am very despicable when it comes to introducing others to good authors!). To some of my friends who have only read the Catcher in the Rye, I strongly recommend further reading of Salinger, who happens to be one of my very favorite short story authors, perhaps even my favorite.
MARich
Favorite Author: John Kennedy Toole
Currently Reading: Domain
fav_author_id: 3207

Post by MARich »

James Herbert, 'aka the british Stephen King.' Wonderful horror/thriller writer who sadly died a couple of years back. No death of writer has ever affected me in such a way. I was absolutely devasted! I have been reading him for almost twenty years. I have all 23 of his novels, and although some are admittedly better than others, I would personally recommend all of them.
jemgannaban1995
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgannaban1995.html

Post by jemgannaban1995 »

I love to read but a lot of my friends don't. Often times, when the said people ask my opinion as to which author they should read, I mostly recommend Mitch Albom.

He is one of my favorite authors because his works of fiction are still based on research and I admire him for that. You never seem to be reading nonsense when you're reading him. His works have also been my way of inviting people who don't appreciate fiction to read fiction.
BookAddict1211
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaddict1211.html

Post by BookAddict1211 »

Jana DeLeon
Robert J Crane
Laurell K. Hamilton
Thebookwonderland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookwonderland.html

Post by Thebookwonderland »

I constantly recommend Colleen Hoover. I love young adult and new adult books and I believe her novels are categorized as new adult. I love Colleen Hoover's writing. Her books can make you feel various emotions and the characters are always amazing. I highly recommend her book Hopeless. Hopeless is a book that even people who don't usually enjoy reading will read and love.
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by mystery lady »

I enjoy Anne Perry and Victoria Thompson, so I recommend them to others. I love reading any mysteries about England.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
mortalinstruments

Post by mortalinstruments »

My personal favorite is Cassandra clare because her storyline is so strong and when you look back you find many examples of foreshadowing and sweet things. Her writing style is very clear and vivid also.
TRCDFamily
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 570
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trcdfamily.html
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TRCDFamily »

Jean Auel, James Patterson, Lorna Landvik, John Sanford. I think it depends on the genre when it comes to who I recommend.
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
msmyre
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmyre.html

Post by msmyre »

I always find myself recommending Christopher Moore. I'm slowly reading my way through all of his books and I've yet to find one I haven't enjoyed. My favorites are Lamb and Sacre Bleu. Moore has a way of twisting facts, stories, and ideas from history into fantastic, funny works of fiction. I love his sense of humor and his crazy characters. I consider him a must read though honestly, he may not be for everyone.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The five books I recommend most often are:

1. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

2) Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

3) Watership Down - Richard Adams

4) A Confederacy Of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

5) The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

Now the question was ... "author" - singular - so if I had to choose only one, let us say for the average person who is new to reading, I think I would always choose Arthur Conan Doyle because I think reading his stories would encourage a new reader to read more as they did for me when I was a kid.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
dentonsd

Post by dentonsd »

I often recommend Kristin Hannah. Her books are easy to relate to, and I often find myself getting teary eyed at different parts of the story. Her books make you laugh, cry, and think about the story elements long after you've finished reading them. I have enjoyed all the books I've read by her.
Erinlee12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinlee12.html
Latest Review: "The Faithful Steward" by Dmitri Dobrovolsky

Post by Erinlee12 »

I am a stay at home mom but used to teach 2nd graders. I always recommended Lane Smith. No matter what book he put out, I found a way to incorporate it into my lesson plans. He is also such an accomplished illustrator, I love seeing his visions come to life on the pages as well! My favorite of his is Grandpa Green! If you ever lose a loved one, especially from dimentia or Alzheimer's, this is really a special book.
Latest Review: "The Faithful Steward" by Dmitri Dobrovolsky
mdielm01
Currently Reading: Loretta's Garden
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdielm01.html

Post by mdielm01 »

My favorite author by far is Karen Kingsbury. I always recommend her to all of my friends. My daughter's are also hooked on her. She has the best stories and I have read many of her books and love them all equally!
SM_Pow

Post by SM_Pow »

I always suggest Ellen Hopkins. Although her work leans more toward darker subjects I feel like she has a way of showing how real life is. She handles a lot of real life situations that young adults face these days such as eating disorders, drug abuse, suicide, and so much more.

Return to “Discuss Authors”