Which author do you constantly recommend?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
hilarymay
Currently Reading: Artistic Licence
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilarymay.html

Re: Which author do you constantly recommend?

Post by hilarymay »

I think it depends what kind of book the person is looking for. I have so many favorites. I recently recommended Santa Montfiore to a friend and also Ekhart Tolle to someone else who was looking for that kind of thing.
mommybugofthree
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mommybugofthree »

I second the recommendation of Mary Higgins Clark--and her talented daughter. If the person inquiring was looking for a mystery, but nothing too graphic, I would steer them towards the "cozy" genre. M.C. Beaton is my favorite, with Rhys Bowen coming in to a close second.

Missy
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I would definitely recommend Brandon Sanderson, a fantasy writer. Ive been hooked on him since I read his first books. His concepts and ideas on 'magic' in his books is so different and refreshing compared to most books. He also has very deep philosophical characters that really make you think about what you are reading. Really can't go wrong.
luke_r
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luke-r.html

Post by luke_r »

I have always recommended Terry Brooks, though I don't know how many people have actually listened. Also, for a good easy read and fun stories I like Rick Riordan.
Keith80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2860">The Martian</a>
Currently Reading: The Gathering Storm
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith80.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Keith80 »

I personally like L.E. Modesitt because he writes both fantasy and sci-fi novels. The books are often a coming of age story, and frequently contain significant philosophical advice to the young one(s) involved. They tend to have a satisfactory outcome, and sometimes have a romantic - but very proper- entanglement. The books are a very satisfying blend of science, magic, war, philosophy, and sometimes romance. All-in-all a complex brew to be savoured.
teacher33
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher33.html
Reading Device: B00JKCH4V2
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by teacher33 »

I am always recommending Tolkien, but I never tire of classics.
dpats24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dpats24.html
Latest Review: "D.H. Lewis - Affairs of Life" by G.L. Fredrick

Post by dpats24 »

Jodi Picoult - she's easy reading, but her work is always contemporary and there's always something new on whatever the controversial issue of the dya is.
Latest Review: "D.H. Lewis - Affairs of Life" by G.L. Fredrick
Lauren Michele
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Lauren Michele »

I love Jamie McGuire, all of her books draw me in on the first page and I can't put her books down. Whenever people are looking for new books to read I throw her name out so fast. I recommend her to everyone, even people who don't enjoy reading.
see_nicole_read
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Swamplandia!
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-nicole-read.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by see_nicole_read »

I love everything Wally Lamb does!
Erica_Wilson17
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-wilson17.html

Post by Erica_Wilson17 »

I am constantly recommending Cassandra Clare and Maggie Stiefvater. Their books are thrilling and each and every one of them is different an exquisite.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Ted Dekker, Robert Liparulo, Stephen James, John Bunyan, C. S. Lewis, F. Paul Wilson for starters. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
vid20shree
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vid20shree.html
Latest Review: "On an exciting Cocktail Night" by Lathish Shankar

Post by vid20shree »

My favourite authors are Nicholas Sparks, Sandra Brown and Nora Roberts, esp her J.D Robb books.
Latest Review: "On an exciting Cocktail Night" by Lathish Shankar
Charley
Currently Reading: The Spinster and The Earl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charley.html

Post by Charley »

Chuck Holton. His books are action packed with just the right amount of romance. He doesn't have very many books. However, the books he does have, I have read each in one night. They keep you guessing and you can't put them down.
babika1962
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babika1962.html
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor

Post by babika1962 »

My go-to author is always Tess Gerritsen, author of the Rizzoli and Isles books on which the TV show is based. Aside from writing hugely entertaining books, Gerritsen has a wide scope of interests which ultimately result in books that deal with a wide scope of subject matter. Her Rizzoli and Isles series is based on the dynamic duo of a medical examiner (Isles) and a detective (Rizzoli); her book GRAVITY is based on an astronaut and an outbreak in outer space, THE BONE GARDEN is a book that alternates between present day and 1700's Boston and the lives of several medical students, one of who digs up corpses for use in the medical school. If you like medical mysteries or police procedurals, I recommend trying Tess Gerritsen. You won't be disappointed!
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I think it really depends on the person I am talking to and what their preferences are. Dan Brown is one of my favorite action/suspense authors, Lemony Snicket is hands down my favorite young readers author/pseudonym, C.M. Owen for romance/erotic, and Pitticus Lore (pseudonym) in young adults.

Honestly I don't know many avid readers, so I don't often get the opportunity to recommend books to people.
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “Discuss Authors”