Which author do you constantly recommend?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Which author do you constantly recommend?

Post by Circling Turtle »

Everyone I've ever introduced to Terry Pratchett has thanked me for it, even if they weren't fantasy fans before that. Ben Elton is another name I push on my friends. Although as Justreadin said above, it depends what they're looking for. I'm pretty good at recommending books if the person gives me some names as an example of what they do enjoy.

I had such a great experience at the library the other day. I met this girl who was just getting into fantasy and sci-fi and didn't know where to start. I promptly went and selected a pile of books, she was so stoked :)
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
AngelMarie115
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AngelMarie115 »

I constantly recommend Becca Fitzpatrick. Her writing relates to me on so many levels.
paigemiller813
Currently Reading: black-eyed susans
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigemiller813.html

Post by paigemiller813 »

James Patterson has always come highy recommended in my book. He writes in such a way that captivates the reader and you find yourself unable to put his novels down. Each book is gripping and keeps you on the edge of your seat desperate for more. His literary style is second to none. The chapters are just enough you find yourself saying "just one more", over and over until you find yourself lost in the epilogue. James Patteraon dminates my bookshelves, if you haven't invested in any of his books, start with Along Came a Spider, it won't disappoint.
wfhslr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wfhslr.html

Post by wfhslr »

A lot of good suggestions! I need to check some of these out!
Cartsit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cartsit.html

Post by Cartsit »

I love Eloisa James. Very few truly well written romance novels out there. Love her.
tuttibellas_mom
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by tuttibellas_mom »

If you like YA, Jamie McGuire is a must...S.C. Stephens...Amy Bartol...all excellent!
vipingoyal
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 444

Post by vipingoyal »

Well, I recommend Gabriel García Marquez for his unparalleled magical surrealism.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I always recommend Ken Follett - they can then choose among his thrillers, historical fiction and non-fiction works.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
TPArchie
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by TPArchie »

When someone says 'there's little new under the sun' what he or she really means is that they've lived long enough for jaundiced cynicism to set in. Most of my reading is in SF & Fantasy; the old ones are best because they're the works that triggered my imagination :o
Since the 80's I've recommended Philip K Dick and Roger Zelazny, and to a lesser degree I've pushed Doris Lessing's Space Fiction as a worthwhile. There's a lot of stuff I've read that I've got a great deal from that I don't push; for example Andre Norton, Philip E High, Michael Moorcock, Jack Vance... the list could be quite long because each author accents particular nuances that reviewers tend to gloss over - it's up to you as reader to pick up on them.
Out of genre is more a personal journey which, although I often sing their praises, has a tendency to drift into what I feel has influenced me. I find Plato quite readable and, surprisingly, much of his thought still feels relevant. For a different take on mysticism, the function of religion and a perspective on Christianity and Islam over the centuries, I find the works of Idries Shah to be thought provoking and yet eminently sensible reads.
Other fine writers include Dostoyevsky, Kafka, Borges, Arthur Conan Doyle and George Eliot.
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by krood10 »

For mystery, I always recommend Alan Bradley and Agatha Christie. If you are looking for a contemporary author, I love Barbara Kingsolver and Maeve Binchy. With young adult, Rainbow Rowell is my current favorite, although this tends to change based on what I am reading.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
heather7878
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by heather7878 »

I recommend Kate Perry and Marie Force to anyone who wants a light read with romance! ONe series I really like is by Aleatha Roming.....Truth, Consequences, and Convicted!
mrhinehart0022
Currently Reading: Blood Infernal
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by mrhinehart0022 »

I'm always recommending James Rollins as an author. His writing varies but a good majority is about a military organization called sigma force that recruites the top scientists with military backgrounds to go around the world and solve ancient mysteries and to collect secret knowledge. They are usually centered around a dooms day type of event that they must stop in order from the world coming to an end.

He also writes a series called the sanguinest series about an order of "vampires" within the Catholic Church that something similar as the secret military group. It starts out with the blood gospel. In the first book the church must find the gospel written by Christ before the belil (bad vampires) get ahold of it and try to start the armoggedon from happening. There are always lots of twists and turns in each of his books. They are very hard to put down.
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

It depends on the genre and the audience, for sure...but in general, I recommend:

Historical fiction - David Gemmell, Michelle Moran, Kate Quinn, Diana Gabaldon
Fiction - Jodi Picoult
Mystery/Thriller - Jeffery Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman
Military history - Stephen Ambrose
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I try to recommend authors who may not be as widely known. I recommend the following authors:

Stewart O'Nan - in particular, Songs for the Missing is fantastic
William Landay - Defending Jacob is a standout
Jennifer Weiner - I love her writing style and think she is not the typical Women's Fiction author who writes formulaic stuff. Her writing is witty and wise. I think to put her in the chick-lit category does her a disservice. Goodnight Nobody and Good in Bed are just really well-written Fiction books.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
mrhinehart0022
Currently Reading: Blood Infernal
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by mrhinehart0022 »

I almost forgot about tami hoag if you like murder mysteries. The first book I feel in love with was ashes to ashes. It's about a team of detectives that try to hunt down a serial killer. The books are mostly about the detectives and each book is a different case. But she writes romance style books too. She's a wonderful author. Her stories are very captivating. Lots of her books are set in MN.

Return to “Discuss Authors”