John Green novel protagonists: redundant or different?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Meehan_Connor
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meehan-connor.html
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam

John Green novel protagonists: redundant or different?

Post by Meehan_Connor »

As a fan of John Green novels, and the casual-but-beautiful way he describes regular events, I often find that the protagonists in his stories are my least favorite characters. For example, in his collaboration with David Levithan, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, Green's Will Grayson(not to be confused with Levithan's depressive Will Grayson) is a much less dynamic and exuberant character as others in the story, mainly Tiny, whose humor is the highlight of the story.

Perhaps this is a bad example. I know it's a pretty commonly held opinion that the novel as a whole is fairly weak. But what I'd like to know is this: do you find yourself enjoying the "best friend" type characters in his works more than the protagonists? And if you'd like to get off-topic here and list other examples in literature where this happens, feel free.
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam
Olivia Parker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-parker.html

Post by Olivia Parker »

Some of the characters in John Greene's novels are a bit redundant and bland, and the best friend characters are more interesting to read about, I agree. In the Fault in our Stars, Augustus Waters was more charming and interesting than Hazel, but I think that's part of what makes his stories interesting and unique. The fact that the protagonist isn't perfect is humorous, and a change in pace, which makes a lot of his books worth reading. John Greene is the type of author who explores, and the fact that maybe his protagonists aren't as cool as their best friends is one of those many examples. Overall, I like John Greene and I don't really mind that.
Allerdale
Currently Reading: House of Leaves
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Allerdale »

I read parts of "The Fault In Our Stars" during the Greene craze because everyone else was, and I'll have to agree with Olivia that Augustus was much more of an interesting character than Hazel. The reason why I skimmed through a good portion of it was because I just didn't click with Hazel, but I liked her more in the book than the movie so there's a positive for Greene.

Maybe it was the overhype that ruined it for me? I have no idea. By the ending Greene taught a good lesson, but I just didn't put it down confident enough in him to keep reading.

Nonetheless I picked up "Paper Towns" to give him another chance, but this time I didn't click with any of the characters, even Margo.

Since you mentioned other instances I will mention Cassandra Clare's "Mortal Instruments" series. To me it had the same fault. I did not enjoy any scene with Clary and Jace after the first few chapters of the first book, but for the sentences Simon or Isabel or Alec popped up, I was all eyes and ears so to speak. I read her "Infernal Devices, Clockwork Prince" on a whim, and found the main and sides just so interesting I couldn't put the trilogy down until I finished it.

Maybe I just haven't picked up the right John Greene books? I'm open to reading another.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I've actually also thought this of most of his books... I always thought that he was trying to create characters that a majority of his readers could identify with, and that's not possible when you have a character with a crazy personality in a normal, everyday setting. On one hand, it's nice to know who to go to if I want to read a nice slice-of-life book, but on the other hand I wish he could try to spice things up in some way.
glitchberry
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitchberry.html

Post by glitchberry »

That is actually where I think all of his books fall short. He creates such beautiful images and stories, but then the protagonist, the one you are stuck with for the entire book, is the most mundane thing about it. I love John Green, and I understand that he is most likely trying to create relatable characters, but I just think that he could try and maybe put a bit more life into his protagonists.
artisrazel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artisrazel.html

Post by artisrazel »

I believe that yes, his main characters are often quite simple. Still, this has never bothered me, because I feel it is intentional. I think Green makes his protagonists bland because he wants us to focus more on how this character reacts to his surroundings/context or other characters. So they are redundant in the way they are used in the books, but are different because the books themselves are of course different.
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

It may be true that the protagonists are a bit simple, but that doesn't make any less of the main story. So in the end, you find a world of possibilities in the face of an every day person. I particularly think it's amazing.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Return to “Discuss Authors”