Which author do you want to have a beer with?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Re: Which author do you want to have a beer with?

Post by sorpurt »

I would must like to have lunch (since I don't drink) with J. K. Rowling. She seems like such a cool and down to earth person. I would love to pick her brain!
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

I'd like to meet Thomas Cahill. He wrote the Hinges of History series (How the Irish Saved Civilization, etc).

He's knowledgeable, and also he synthesized a tremendous amount of information to show the threads from the beginning of civilization to now. I would love to ask his opinion on a whole mess of topics.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
NanMarie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanmarie.html

Post by NanMarie »

Sylvia Plath or Stephen King.
A_Choyka
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-choyka.html

Post by A_Choyka »

The person that comes to mind would be Sarah Hepola....we would have a water though, as she's in recovery. I love that she laid herself out there, so raw and full of emotion, in her memoir. It's rare that you get a glimpse into the "real" life of a writer. Made me laugh and realize that they are humans just like us, and not the perfection a they create in their stories.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

sorpurt wrote:I would must like to have lunch (since I don't drink) with J. K. Rowling. She seems like such a cool and down to earth person. I would love to pick her brain!
I agree! Having lunch with J.K. Rowling would be my choice as well! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
sioux0707
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sioux0707.html
Latest Review: "Never Think Of Me" by Elijah Cainaan

Post by sioux0707 »

Harlan Coben! That man can cook up a good mystery that rivals Stephen King!
Latest Review: "Never Think Of Me" by Elijah Cainaan
cindyc42
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3066">The Secret Garden</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by cindyc42 »

I would like to go back in time and have a beer with Beatrix Potter at her farm Hill Top in England's Lake District. We can talk about sheep and sheepdogs and take a walk and study the flowers and animals.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I have to parrot the idea of drinking a beer with douglas adams, or maybe david sedaris! or mindy kaling (she counts! her primary job is a writer!)
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
thecheekybookworm

Post by thecheekybookworm »

Hello All!

This was a interesting topic. If I had to choose I would want to have a beer with Brandon Sanderson because he is one of the most amazing writers I have come across. I am not making this statement because of the topics of books he writes about even though his stories range from Science Fiction stories that center on an alternate world, to outter space, to simple planet earth. I chose him because if you start from the very first book he wrote and end with the most recent you will find that his writing style changes and improves making each story better than the last. I have not found an author who has done this, some write amazing stories like Harry Potter and then another series they start is just not as good or enthralling but I have yet to find a author who despite the topic make the book fun for any type of reader.

I would love to hear about his writing process and what gave him the inspiration to keep writing and how and when he got to his level of success.
Onewhothinks
Currently Reading: Kundalini Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onewhothinks.html
Latest Review: "The Reform" by Almondie Shampine

Post by Onewhothinks »

Janet Evanovich.

Have you read some of her novels? There are times where I am literally laughing out loud at her scenes, character remarks, what have you. Her Stephanie Plum series (One for the Money, Two for the Dough, Three... etc, etc, etc) is on point with humor, mystery, love, and plain ol' disaster.
Latest Review: "The Reform" by Almondie Shampine
fernwehgypsey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernwehgypsey.html

Post by fernwehgypsey »

Okay so I have to be honest. I don't like beer. Well maybe vegan beer? Because I am a yogi, and so is my favorite author--Dani Shapiro. She wrote Slow Motion and more recently, Devotion. In Slow Motion, she wrote an autobiographical account detailing her addiction to cocaine and romantic involvement with a married man while in college. She subsequently dealt with her father's death. She was the author that you love to hate, because she is spoiled and privileged but still can NOT get her sh*t together. I loved her because she was open, unflinching and unapologetic. She was immature and had SO much to learn. I would love to pick her brain and understand her writing style and also her path that led her to write a much happier memoir titled, Devotion. I read that book in May and adored it. She greatly matured and embraced yoga. She seems to be at peace and is no longer engaging in an adulterous affair.
vg914212
Currently Reading: Secret Teachings of All the Ages
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vg914212.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by vg914212 »

Gosh! That's tough, because there are so many authors that I would love to sit and talk with. But here it goes!
I would love to have a long cup of tea with C.L. Wilson to get a pick on what are her plans for the next novel that is part of the Fading Lands series.
Also have a happy hour with Lindsay J. Pryor to know how she develops such intriguing plots and complex characters on her books.
I round table with Kresley Cole, Elizabeth Hunter, Dora Machado and Grace Draven.
Definitely a cup of coffee with Dannika Dark, a Glasse of Wine with Paula Brackston and Maggie Shayne.
A long dinner with Petra Durs-Benning, Hailey Edwards and Karen Marie Morning...Just to name a few...
Brook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brook.html

Post by Brook »

Beer and nachos with Chuck Palahniuk.
steph_hill99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-hill99.html

Post by steph_hill99 »

Clive Cussler would be my choice. Not the greatest writer, but a very interesting guy!
Kesia Alexandra

Post by Kesia Alexandra »

Living I would say Roxane Gay, Sandra Cisneros or Junot Diaz. Passed, I would say James Baldwin.

Return to “Discuss Authors”