Which author do you want to have a beer with?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jo Tierney Smith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which author do you want to have a beer with?

Post by Jo Tierney Smith »

I have already had that pleasure. About 35 years ago, I had the honor of having dinner with Stephen King. I had a scotch. He had a water or tea. Hard to remember. It sure was the highlight of my literary life. Long, long story behind that but a really interesting one.
Ryan M

Post by Ryan M »

Gunnar Staalesen the Norwegian noir author. In his own words, his protagonist Varg Veum is a fast talking PI that's based on Spillane's Mike Hammer.
D A Lascelles

Post by D A Lascelles »

Pratchett because every time I met him he was always a great guy and it is sad he died too soon.

At Eastercon this year I did enjoy drinking a beer in the same room as Charles Stross who is one of my current favourite authors.
TDee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tdee.html

Post by TDee »

Marian Keyes is my imaginary best-friend. She is absolutely hilarious! I follow her on Twitter and watch her Youtube videos and whenever she replies to my tweets, my eyes become glassy with tears, haha. I promise this is not an exaggeration.
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

Dave Eggers - a "Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" it was! This was one of the first 'free-style' books I read and I found it very refreshing. He seems like a really cool and compassionate guy.
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
David_nikki

Post by David_nikki »

Paul Ekman. I have been researching his work lately and would love to read faces and watch people with him.
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Post by CSM-writer »

Gosh, what a question. Well, my all time favorite author is Stephen King so I guess I would love to chat with Stephen King while enjoying an ice cold beer. For five years I lived about an hour away from him. As anyone that reads him work will know, he lives in Bangor, Maine. I too, lived in Maine up until about six or so months ago. Unfortunately I never experienced a "Stephen King" sighting during those years, but I know several that have shared their sighting stories with me.
mmerez89

Post by mmerez89 »

Definitely David Baldacci he's probably one of the most creative guys in the world.
shaiwest
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaiwest.html

Post by shaiwest »

Paul Theroux - I never get tired of hearing about his travel adventures. He goes places that I would never dare to and does the things that I only wish I had the nerve to do. The fact that his fiction also takes me to new and exciting places is an ever bigger plus
jgarner1114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgarner1114.html

Post by jgarner1114 »

Charles Martin!!! Would love to hear more about his experience doing mission work in Nicaragua. I highly recommend reading Water from the Heart if you haven't.
GSRobinson5718

Post by GSRobinson5718 »

Dean Koontz. It would be wild to talk writing with him over a beer - although, I would prefer red wine.
Holladay

Post by Holladay »

John LeCarre-----------Elmore Leonard--------Stephen King---------Alexander Dumas------Will Shakespheare
Bill
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bill.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson

Post by Bill »

Hugh Howey.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

There are some many but the one that takes the cake is Kelley Armstrong. She's basically been writing hero since I picked up Bitten for the first time in high school.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

This looks like it might be an older thread but I can't resist commenting. I would love to have a beer with Douglas Coupland. His books are so quirky, original and often hilarious. I would assume that a live conversation with him would be highly entertaining! How fascinating it would be to hear about what inspires those imaginative tales.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Return to “Discuss Authors”