Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Re: Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

Post by Zoe303 »

I certainly do! I sometimes forget the names of authors of very famous books or the ones of my favorites, which I find quite embarrassing, HOW CAN ONE POSSIBLY FORGET THE AUTHOR OF A FAVORITE? The weird thing is that sometimes I forget the title and remember the author and be like "Veronica Roth!!" When I mean to say Divergent.... :|
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
sweta ramamani
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweta-ramamani.html

Post by sweta ramamani »

No, because if the book is intriguing enough for me to remember the title or the plot, it shows that I have been affected by that author regardless if I remember the authors name or not.
mckenzie_hulgin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mckenzie_hulgin »

Well I'm glad to see I am not the only one here who can never remember authors! I could recite the entire book to you but once you ask me who the author is I would never be able to remember .
mollymew
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymew.html

Post by mollymew »

As an English teacher, I can often tell my students exactly what the book is about, how long it is, who my favorite character is, and what color the cover is, but cannot come up with the author's name! This is especially embarrassing when I have to go to the librarian and explain, " I want that one book about the boy with the dark hair and super powers, its got a blue cover with a star in the top right corner, but I have no idea who wrote it...".

Next skill on my to do list is getting a solid mental database of authors!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Generally, I remember authors' names, but not all, of course. :D
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

There is this great author that did something called Hamlet or Macbeth or something like that, but his name always seems to escape me. :eusa-think: Pretty good writer though! :roll: :eusa-whistle:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Forgetting an author's name ...... There are days when I can hardly remember my own :oops:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DATo

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:Forgetting an author's name ...... There are days when I can hardly remember my own :oops:
*LOL* Welcome to the club! Hey, I got bad news for ya. It gets worse as you get older and not just with authors. I was walking around the house the other day looking for my glasses which I just happened to be wearing at the time.

I've been meaning to ask you: have you ever gotten around to reading Ghostwritten by Mitchell? That was his first book as I recall and the book which launched his stardom. I've read it and thought it was quite good: a bit twisted, like Cloud Atlas, but still very good.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@DATo
Certainly I read Ghostwritten & gave it high praise. But The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet remains my favourite Mitchell book. I have The Bone Clocks glaring at me from my to read shelf right now. You have already read it I bet?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

I am also guilty of forgetting authors names. Like many others I remember the title and content on my favorite books but the author does not seem to be filed away in my head. I kind of feel sorry for the author since I enjoyed the book so much but never can remember who wrote the wonderful story.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
DATo

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:@DATo
Certainly I read Ghostwritten & gave it high praise. But The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet remains my favourite Mitchell book. I have The Bone Clocks glaring at me from my to read shelf right now. You have already read it I bet?

@Fran - Yes, I read The Bone Clocks some time ago. It was OK but it did not seem to resonate with me as much as his other books. I don't know why. I didn't like it as much as Ghostwritten though the two books are somewhat similar in style. It might have just been the mood I was in at the time because I don't think Mitchell can write a bad book. Read it (Bone Clocks) though. It was/is definitely recommendable, and generously spiced with Mitchell's trademark style. In fact this discussion has prompted me to put it back on my list for a re-read.

I agree with you on Thousand Autumns, I think this book can hold its own in terms of literary quality with any novel, classic or contemporary, ever written.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
babysnroses

Post by babysnroses »

I am terrible for it, lol!
LKaye

Post by LKaye »

I am extremely guilty of not remembering the names of authors. For me an author has to do one of two things either write book after book after book of amazing characters and plots or they have to disappoint me more than once for me to even remember them. I'm sure however that this has more to do with the fact that I am horrible with remembering names then it being an author that I can't remember.
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I have a terrible memory, or at least a very selective one. Some authors I remember very well; others I draw a total blank. That said, I'm equally as bad with book titles and movies. I find it is worse when I've read several books within a short period of time. Two years ago while on week's vacation in Cuba I read five books. For the life of me, I cannot recall the plot, title, or author of any of the books. I find myself referencing my e-bookshelf to find the name of a book title, series, or author (sometimes all three). Failing that, Google and I have become good friends.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Gennovese

Post by Gennovese »

I tend to forget the authors name a lot, its sad because while I was at the grocery store, I was recommended to read a book. Unfortunately, I got home and I could not remember the authors name.

Return to “Discuss Authors”