Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

Post by Gravy »

rssllue wrote:I am okay at best with the authors and the titles as well. I know the info is in my head, I just struggle to get to it sometimes. :roll:
Must be an age thing :wink: :lol:

ALynnPowers wrote:I'm lucky I remember my own name!
:lol:

I actually very rarely forget an authors name if I enjoy their writing.
Titles...are sometimes a little bit trickier...
But what really sucks...
Remembering a part from a book and not being able to remember what book or series or author...I've read too much!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

There are a few authors I remember but normally I can't remember them!

The worst is not remembering the title or author but wanting to recommend or reread the book!!! gah!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this!
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I pretty much only remember authors under 3 conditions:
They are super famous
I read the book only because of the author
They have an exceptionally memorable name

Otherwise it is pretty much guaranteed that I will forget.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
sagu2015
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sagu2015 »

I read a lot of books and remembering names...not my forte. I remember the story though. I even forget authors who once wrote a novel that I love. I remember reading the book for more twice :lol: But some authors are unforgettable. Of course, usually those books made into movies :P
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

ALynnPowers wrote:I'm lucky I remember my own name!
*LOLOLOLOL* ... that's me all over.

I can remember the more memorable books I've read as well as their authors but I confess that I hardly ever remember the authors of most books I read and more than half the time I forget the exact name of the title of the book. I do keep lists for reference though. I keep a list containing the book title, author, and a sentence or two to remind me what the book is about. Once I've read the description I am perfectly clear on the story, the characters, and the impression it made upon me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

Books tend to stick in my head one way. I might remember the author, the series name but not individual titles, a title, or the name of the main character. At best, I might remember two of those a few years after reading the book. Luckily, with the amazing google, remembering any two is usually enough to find the book again. Almost always hearing or remembering two of the three is enough to call forth my impressions about the book (good or bad) and general plot and whether I might enjoy reading it again.
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

Sadly I forgot Charlotte Bronte had written Jane Eyre. A saw the cover of the book and I seriously thought Jane Eyre wrote Charlotte Bronte. I only mixed the author and title but it was a really silly mistake I hadn't caught until hours after I made the mistake and forgot about it.
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I have a hard time remembering authors, musicians, actors, etc... I know how important it is to remember these things but I just can't seem to do it... I do feel guilty at times, but I've come to accept it.
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I'm fairly good with remembering names of authors, actors and other people in those creative worlds. I do have my weak moments though, and I absolutely hate when they happen. Whenever I'm excited during a conversation with someone who also carries a fair share of knowledge about books or film, I tend to forget small details, and sometimes names. It's frustrating: I hate looking less credible when it comes to topics I cherish so much.

I was an English major in college, and I was very close to getting a degree in film. Sometimes I feel like everything I love and learned during that time in my life is out the window because of my random forgetfulness.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I AM. It's not only authors though. When I'm reading a series and I finish it and read other books, I forget about those characters. When the next book in the series comes out, I forget everything.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

If I don't specifically remember that author for the purpose of finding another of their books, I will not remember them. For a long time I didn't really care, but I found out that certain authors are simply better, in my eyes, at least. Though that could do with the fact that I have a terrible memory.
AJMartin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmartin.html

Post by AJMartin »

I definitely can forget the author and/or title of a book. Sometimes I remember both. Sometimes just one. Sometimes neither.
mendicant0

Post by mendicant0 »

I had an English teacher who would always, on his reading comprehension quizzes, put as the first question, "Who is the author of this book?" Somewhere around half the class would miss that question each time. I've never really had a problem remembering authors, but I felt like that anecdote is relevant.
shilalekh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilalekh.html

Post by shilalekh »

There is one book I read some 10-12 years back. It was a great thriller and I remember its ending vividly and would love to read more of him/her but cannot remember the author. Can anyone help me if I outline the climax?
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I usually cant remember either lol
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Return to “Discuss Authors”