So who Agrees---Anne McCaffrey: Gateway to Scifi/Fantasy?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Tricia1962
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tricia1962.html

So who Agrees---Anne McCaffrey: Gateway to Scifi/Fantasy?

Post by Tricia1962 »

I think that "The DragonRiders of Pern"Series by Anne McCaffrey for me was my gateway to really diving into Science Fiction/Fantasy as a Genre. Before I started the series, I had never read Science Fiction/Fantasy only Romance novels. Who Agrees with me?
M_E_Winter

Post by M_E_Winter »

Hey Tricia, I had already delved into the world of Sci-fi and Fantasy when I was a little girl, and that was years before I started reading McCaffrey's work, so I can't quite say she was my gateway into the genres, but I do agree that she is a wonderful writer and the worlds she creates really do envelope the reader. Of her works, I personally enjoyed the Crystal Singer trilogy the most.
SequesteredLeo

Post by SequesteredLeo »

Brandon Sanderson was mine.

My boyfriend had went to a flea market and they were giving away free books. Mistborn was one he brought home to me. Upon finishing it, I immediately ran out and bought the other 2 books in the trilogy and was definitely not disappointed! I was absolutely enthralled!
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

Anne McCaffery was definitely the gateway to scifi for me. Though I read her Talent series and "Alchemy & Academie" short stories before the pern books.
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

When I was 11 I picked up the first of the Menolly/Harpers trilogy. Didn't know it was a series, had never really been into science fiction or dragons. Fell in love with the book and it really opened me up to fantasy genre. Maybe five years later I was in my high school library and saw it again. Was ecstatic. Then I saw the others of the pern series around it. It was one of those my brain is going to burst out of my heart in joy moments. Ohh so love them.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
themmer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmer.html

Post by themmer »

The Pern series was definitely a gateway into sci-fi and fantasy for me. One dragon book was all it took for me to be hooked.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

Tried reading her stuff, couldn't stand it! IMO there's loads better out there for a gateway/intro. Gemmell, feist, Tolkien, Brooks, eddings. Easier to read, better stories, more engaging characters.

As I say, that purely in my opinion.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
christianquaresma
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christianquaresma.html

Post by christianquaresma »

Anne McAffrey, Tolkien, and Terry Brooks were my entries into fantasy. Would recommend them all for people getting into it, especially younger.
Killerchic777
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killerchic777.html
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by Killerchic777 »

I have to agree that Anne McCaffrey is definitely the "gateway drug" to Scifi/Fantasy. At least she was for me! I think I started reading the Harper Hall trilogy first as a kid, and was hooked ever since. I've read almost every single book she's ever written, multiple times each! It was through her partnership with other authors that I started to branch out and discover more great authors and books in the scifi/fantasy world.
librosliberum

Post by librosliberum »

Neil Gaiman was my gateway in scifi and fantasy. For young readers, I would say Catherine Webb, who I adore (pennames: Kate Griffin and Claire North)
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

Agree. If you weren't already into the genre, this series is a great door opener.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack

Return to “Discuss Authors”