Can you enjoy the work of an author if s/he is a total jerk?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Re: Can you enjoy the work of an author if s/he is a total j

Post by Duende Knocking »

Depends on how much of a jerk that person is.

If they just say rude things sometimes, that's one thing. If they exhibit racism, homophobia, misogyny, etc... I will stop reading their work.

For example, one of the only assigned books I ever skipped was one by an author who has said pretty horribly things about the mentally disabled. Not supporting someone like that!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I'm the same way, Duende, with any author who writes offensive material.

I have paranoia issues, and I encountered a book written by an FBI profiler who wrote something along the lines of, "Paranoiacs should be avoided. They are all gun-toting criminals who, if pulled over for speeding, will whip out their AK47's and take out the patrolman with no questions asked." I was like, seriously? I got angry and left a very poor Amazon review, which five of his "people" immediately found "unhelpful," thus bullying me into removing the review.

Authors like that, I'll tell ya. There's something wrong with them. They promote fear-mongering and small-mindedness. On the other hand, we have freedom of speech.
Duende Knocking

zeldas_lullaby wrote:I'm the same way, Duende, with any author who writes offensive material.

I have paranoia issues, and I encountered a book written by an FBI profiler who wrote something along the lines of, "Paranoiacs should be avoided. They are all gun-toting criminals who, if pulled over for speeding, will whip out their AK47's and take out the patrolman with no questions asked." I was like, seriously? I got angry and left a very poor Amazon review, which five of his "people" immediately found "unhelpful," thus bullying me into removing the review.

Authors like that, I'll tell ya. There's something wrong with them. They promote fear-mongering and small-mindedness. On the other hand, we have freedom of speech.
Wowwwww who was that? That's awful, so glib and dismissive while criminalizing a common mental disorder that affects many decent people (who uh probably don't drive around with AK47s). I want to avoid him, too. Also scarily unprofessional considering his job.

I can forgive an author if they have a bad day and are rude in an interview or are just an irritable person in general, but when they exhibit signs of bigotry, discrimination, and hate-mongering like that, I just want nothing to do with them. To me that indicates an inherent cruelty.
- Cyril Connolly
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thanks for the support! :) It is much appreciated. One thing I do is feel the experience of being discriminated against or judged and try to turn around and NOT do that to anyone.

Dangerous Personalities by Joe Navarro

It was crushing to me at the time to find it on my sister's coffee table. (She was reading about herself in the "emotionally unstable personality" chapter, she said, and totally relating to it. Then she went on to say, "Oh, there's a chapter about you in here too.")

Siiiiiigh. Criminalizing. Yeah, tell me about it. I've never even played with a BB gun.
Duende Knocking

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Thanks for the support! :) It is much appreciated. One thing I do is feel the experience of being discriminated against or judged and try to turn around and NOT do that to anyone.

Dangerous Personalities by Joe Navarro

It was crushing to me at the time to find it on my sister's coffee table. (She was reading about herself in the "emotionally unstable personality" chapter, she said, and totally relating to it. Then she went on to say, "Oh, there's a chapter about you in here too.")

Siiiiiigh. Criminalizing. Yeah, tell me about it. I've never even played with a BB gun.
I just looked up his Twitter to see what he was like and some of the things he posts about...ouch. Pretty unacademic and unprofessional (though if he thinks all people with paranoia are murderers, this is hardly surprising).

It's definitely veering off-topic so I won't go into details, but I also have a disorder that is heavily stigmatized. Unfortunately every time some angry white boy goes on a murder spree, the media reads these awesome books like the one you mentioned here, and as a result excuses his behavior by pretending he's mentally ill, thus absolving him of his crimes and making everyday life that much harder for those of us who are legitimately sick and who are decent people to boot. Sigh. :roll:

(haa yea that was off topic, sorry!)
- Cyril Connolly
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yonkers. Sorry about your condition. :( You can PM me any time if you fear being off-topic! I'd love to talk more about this.
Now I'm high on Ambien. Zzzzzzz.....
Artistteacher29
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Artistteacher29 »

I'm the girl that doesn't eat Chick-fil-a because I don't agree with the CEO's stance on gay marriage, so if I found out one of my favorite authors did something that I vehemently oppose, I'd probably first do some more research and then decide whether to discontinue reading their books. If it's a classic author, I'd definitely take into account the mores of the time.
katyg98
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyg98.html

Post by katyg98 »

For me, it depends who they are, what they have done and what kind of book it is, for example, if it's a fiction book, I think I could probably read it, maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much but I could read it as it's not talking about this author's life/opinions.
Cstansell2199
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstansell2199.html

Post by Cstansell2199 »

It definitely affects me. I read a good bit of entrepreneurial type material and one book that everybody always recommends is The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris. I've heard him speak a few times on podcasts and he just comes across as so pompous and holier-than-thou that I just can't bring myself to read the book.
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

Huh. Interesting question that I have never really thought about before. I typically do not find out anything about the author I am reading, except what they put as a preface, really. If they said something I did not like, that was offensive, yeah I probably would not read them again. But I am sure I have read lots of books by people that if I knew more about them I might have a problem.

But, I really only read fiction. But in the 1980s there was a chef that had a TV show and a book (back before almost every chef did that) and he used to come into the place I worked. He was such an awful person that I would never watch his show or use his cookbooks.

So yes, I would have to say that it can affect me.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

Actually I was going to post a related question but think it will fit in here. I have enjoyed novels by the British politician Ann Widdecombe, but find her politics and various views odious. It seems bizarre that someone who can write so sensitively could think it okay to chain pregnant prisoners. I truly didn't WANT to like her fiction, but The Clematis Tree was a good read and I can't deny it. She does not even have the excuse of historical perspective.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Absolutely! I'd certainly prefer that the author isn't a jerk, especially if I really like it, since I enjoy sharing my finds on social media and wouldn't want to help out a jerk... Also, there's this awesome feeling of actually enjoying something and being as much a fan of it as of the author themselves. This doesn't stop me from movies or games either :)
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

If people are jerks in general then I don't have a place for them in my life period. Especially those who do make commentary on people who are different.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

My opinions are leaning more and more toward "no" on his topic, as I am getting older and more of an old grouch with less and less tolerance for certain types of people' 8)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Generally I do not look to far into the authors I am reading. I am not very interested in non-fiction. But when I read a book about Lewis Carroll's love and inspiration for Alice in Wonderland an 11 year old Alice Liddell I was a bit uncomfortable. When I learned about his love for taking nude photos of young girls I found him repulsive. I have never looked at Alice in Wonderland the same. I refuse to own it.

I recently read The Paris Wife by Paula Mclain all about how truly horrible Hemingway treated his wife, critics and friends. He burned bridges left and right. I never really liked his works so this did not affect the way I viewed his novels. I was just more fuel for the fire of dislike that had already been ignited during high school english.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Discuss Authors”