Can you enjoy the work of an author if s/he is a total jerk?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
greyowl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Can you enjoy the work of an author if s/he is a total j

Post by greyowl »

No I find it sort of reflects poorly on the author ; it really leaves a bad impression esp when they openly criticize and or demean.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Harlan Ellison, HST, and Hemingway were (by all accounts) difficult authors. Perhaps even jerks. But they were also literary demi-gods :)
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I don't get to know them in real life, so I never find out about how their personalities actually are.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Dylan Thomas: great poet, deeply unlikeable person. I love his poetry. I've never read Evelyn Waugh, but am assured by those who have that his novels are brilliant. He, however, was thoroughly unpleasant. Some people apparently think that fascist sympathiser and traitor Ezra Pound's poetry is wonderful, though I find it pretentious.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

In a way I can still enjoy the substance of the book but it is always in the back of my mind that the person who wrote these words and characters is a jerk. Then I over think why the author made this happen or had this character be like this and if anything bad in the book happens I automatically just assume that its because he is a jerk and wants to be mean to his readers lol. So I can only sort of appreciate a book if I know that the author is genuinely a mean person.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I don't usually look into authors that I'm reading. Like, I might have a series that I love or even an author that I think writes really great books but I don't know a single thing about that author. For instance, I really love Harry Potter. It's my favorite series of all time and most likely always will be. But I don't know anything about J.K. Rowling. And honestly, she could be a convicted serial killer and that wouldn't really change my view about the Harry Potter series, I wouldn't love the books any less. An author's deeds don't really have an impact on how I view their books, good or bad.
tinegunner
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Favorite Book: The English Patient
Currently Reading: The Girl who Played with Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinegunner.html
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by tinegunner »

I could probably still read their books but it would depend on what sort of jerk the author was. I've heard Jonathan Franzen is a bit of a jerk but I still love his books and his being a bit snarky wouldn't turn me away. If the author was a racist or a rapist or something, then I would have a lot more trouble with it.
Then again, I still like Woody Allen movies despite everything - although I wouldn't be sad if he ended up in jail.
Artists generally aren't perfect, which is what makes them sometimes have much to say.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

That depends. . . I do not search the author when I choose a book to read neither do search her after finishing it :p
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
FredWilliam

Post by FredWilliam »

I don't pay much attention to entertainment/celebrity news, so there is a good chance that I won't know if an author is a jerk. If I like the work, I will read it.
LadyKaylee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladykaylee.html

Post by LadyKaylee »

I love Ender's Game and the whole Enderverse series, but I know that Orson Scott Card is a homophobe. I balance the knowledge that my purchase of his books supports homophobic causes by donating my time to the cause of equality.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

LadyKaylee wrote:I love Ender's Game and the whole Enderverse series, but I know that Orson Scott Card is a homophobe. I balance the knowledge that my purchase of his books supports homophobic causes by donating my time to the cause of equality.
That is a shame. Did not know that about him. :cry:
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
SequesteredLeo

Post by SequesteredLeo »

That's kind of how I feel about Terry Goodkind. I have yet to give him a chance because I've seen how he berates other authors, but I have yet to find another author that acts do immaturely towards him as he does others. It's kind of a turn off.

I may eventually read his work because I do hear he is good, but I don't know yet.
lehel_vandor
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Faith in Fakes by Umberto Eco
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by lehel_vandor »

Great question... Personally, I found that the answer is a "yes" only if he/she is so astonishing, that I can forget the real person behind the works - otherwise it is difficult to really enjoy the writing, especially if the works have a strong humanitarian message. In latter case, I just get annoyed by the contrast between what he/she writes and what is known about the person :)
lovablegeek123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovablegeek123.html

Post by lovablegeek123 »

Ohhhhh that's a tough one honestly. I have no idea if I could or not. I don't look into the authors personal life too often...it's like meeting your hero only to discover they're really just a disappointment. I like to think I could let their works speak for them.
SammieWonder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiewonder.html

Post by SammieWonder »

FredWilliam wrote:I don't pay much attention to entertainment/celebrity news, so there is a good chance that I won't know if an author is a jerk. If I like the work, I will read it.
I feel the exact same.

I'm also shocked to learn that Card is a homophobe. I, too, cherish his works.

Return to “Discuss Authors”