Stephen King vs James Patterson

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
NotEvenClose
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-notevenclose.html

Stephen King vs James Patterson

Post by NotEvenClose »

So I go to the bookstore and tell the girl working there that I have been reading a lot of James Patterson and need to take a break from him but still want the genre...

She says Stephen King had a new book out...

I stop her immediately stating that I have never read Stephen King because I'm too scared to...

She looks shocked and asks: You read James Patterson and you think Stephen King will SCARE you?
Then insists James Patterson is MUCH scarier than Stephen King...

What do you think?

Also, which Stephen King book would you suggest for my FIRST, being intimidated as I am and all?

cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I suppose it's all relative, but I don't think one author is any more terrifying than the other. I used to collect Stephen King's books so it would be difficult to recommend just one! I liked Carrie, the Dark Tower series, Needful Things, The Tommyknockers. Too many choices!
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
NotEvenClose

Post by NotEvenClose »

I'd rather not read one to which I've seen the movie [Carrie]
Someone else said The Dark Tower series, and just one person said The Green Mile...
and I've never seen that movie, any other suggestions anyone?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't like horror either. I am not a fan of James Patterson, but I don't think his books are scary.

I liked "the stand" of King. I also recommend "Under the Dome", which was recommended to me. I didn't read it yet, but I plan to. I understand it isn't as scary as his other books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I liked Salem's lot by King but it is a little scary.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

james patterson... scary??? Doubtful. I tried reading through his women's murder mystery series and only got as far as book 3. Not impressed with his work at all. His main focus is on serial killers, which to me is not a scary topic, its a real topic. I love murder mysteries but his novels are not that great in my opinion. Stephen king on the other hand deals a lot more with supernatural phenomena, which give me the goosebumps. Plus his books are all different so it is possible to read all of them without getting bored or predictable. Hands down stephen king > james patterson. Theres my 2 cents ((:
NotEvenClose

Post by NotEvenClose »

Hmmm never heard of Under The Dome, will definitely check in to that one! Thanks

I never considered James Patterson 'scary' as it relates to realistic things that, unfortunately yes, do happen.
I think maybe that is why I am reluctant to read anything by Stephen King ~ too much is left to the imagination :roll:

OnionPickle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onionpickle.html

Post by OnionPickle »

James Patterson books are rather scary, imagining serial killers and whatnot, but they aren't written well enough to really freak me out. I have never actually read a Stephen King book, but I can assume that they are scarier than James Patterson books.
ajensen6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajensen6.html

Post by ajensen6 »

I find James Patterson's novels more realistic than Stephen King's, which could mean that they are more scary. But I have read many books of both authors and find them to have great attributes. I don't find it easy to compare them because I associate Patterson with more of a mystery and investigative genre while King is in the scientific fantasy and horror genres.
NotEvenClose

Post by NotEvenClose »

Yep, it's that word 'horror' that gets me!

7Shane6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7shane6.html

Post by 7Shane6 »

Start with King's Bag of Bones, which is more of a ghost story than a horror novel. The man can actually write a great love story as well (woven in to main plot; he never writes a flat out romance.)
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I've never read anything by Patterson but I've read a few of King's. Not many of his books are scary (as in arousing a feeling of horror) but many of them are attractively grim. Misery and It are rather provocative, though I prefer the former because of how well-written it is. If I had to recommend one, that would probably be it. The characters are nicely rounded, it has an original plot and its metafictional elements leave you thinking after you finish the novel. It's difficult not to associate King (the author) with Paul (the character) and not feel as though you've contributed to the former's misery.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
oywiththepoodlz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oywiththepoodlz.html

Post by oywiththepoodlz »

I would not necessarily compare the two in "scariness." As some others have pointed out, Patterson writes about "real life" terror, which although could be scary to some people is not too different from what most of us come in contact with on TV and in the news. King, on the other hand, is a master of getting into the heads and motivations of his characters and obviously frequently deals with the supernatural. I personally have never been remotely scared by a Patterson book, while some King books have left me at least disturbed. My personal favorites are The Stand and Needful Things but many others are great. The Dark Tower Series is somewhat different, a lot more "sci fi" than his typical stuff; there are also some ups and downs in the series...some books are a lot better than others. But I would say Stephen King is definitely an author that one should try out!
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

oywiththepoodlz wrote:I would not necessarily compare the two in "scariness." As some others have pointed out, Patterson writes about "real life" terror, which although could be scary to some people is not too different from what most of us come in contact with on TV and in the news. King, on the other hand, is a master of getting into the heads and motivations of his characters and obviously frequently deals with the supernatural. I personally have never been remotely scared by a Patterson book, while some King books have left me at least disturbed. My personal favorites are The Stand and Needful Things but many others are great. The Dark Tower Series is somewhat different, a lot more "sci fi" than his typical stuff; there are also some ups and downs in the series...some books are a lot better than others. But I would say Stephen King is definitely an author that one should try out!
If you want a non scary i would deff agree and say the stand or the dark tower series, read the first, halfway through the latter series, both great books!((:
NotEvenClose

Post by NotEvenClose »

Thanks for all of your input everyone!
I think I'm going to start with The Dark Tower series as it's been the most suggested one to begin with.

Since this site and the people here are so awesome, I now have a full list of stories to read!
(Yes I am still reluctant to start a King novel!)

Return to “Discuss Authors”