Stephen King vs James Patterson

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Re: Stephen King vs James Patterson

Post by ktfrank04 »

NotEvenClose wrote:

Thanks for all of your input everyone!
I think I'm going to start with The Dark Tower series as it's been the most suggested one to begin with.

Since this site and the people here are so awesome, I now have a full list of stories to read!
(Yes I am still reluctant to start a King novel!)

good choice!!! :D this was the advice given to me: after you finish the second book take a break to read "the stand" because the third book and on introduces one of the characters and some of the plot from that book. Plus it is a fantastic book and I'm glad i listened and read it before continuing with the series. Have fun!!
Chanensassy22
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanensassy22.html

Post by Chanensassy22 »

Ah Mr Stephen King! I am beyond fascinated with this man. I think he is by far one of the BEST out there. Are some of his books scary. Heck ya! But not all of them. The Shining, Carrie, Misery are all my favs. The book "It" scared the crap out of me, I'm 31 and it still does. But I dislike clowns. I think his earlier work was scary compared to his recent stuff. Like Christine is awesome and The Tommyknockers was good. I've got so many books going on right now but I am itching to read Mr Mercedes. My advice to someone who has never read his books before and if they had reservations about it. I would recommend watching one of his interviews on YouTube he won't bite I promise!! You get a glimpse of one of the best storytellers of our generation!
A P Bullard
Favorite Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: The Marriage Plot
Currently Reading: Anna and the French Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-p-bullard.html
Latest Review: "Reckless Illusions" by Claude Dancourt

Post by A P Bullard »

Stephen King wins in my book, for both horror and writing.
Latest Review: "Reckless Illusions" by Claude Dancourt
HMJones
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmjones.html

Post by HMJones »

King. The Dark Tower series is really good. I would also read another couple of his most well known. The Shining, Carrie and my favourite Misery. I once missed a whole day of my life because I was so caught up rereadinng Misery and on a train journey I had to put the Shining down because I was so freaked out!
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

I think Stephen king's books are scary and James Patterson's books are not . I love the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson , but a recommendation of Stephen king would probably be Cujo. :D
Miss_Jane2014
Currently Reading: Better Off Dead by H.P Mallory
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-jane2014.html

Post by Miss_Jane2014 »

I have read a few James Patterson books, and I don't think that really he or Stephen King are scary. Hearts in Atlantis, Misery, Bag of Bones, and The Tommyknockers were my favorites by him. :)
wordscrafter

Post by wordscrafter »

Chanensassy22
but I am itching to read Mr Mercedes.
I read Mr. Mercedes a few weeks ago and it's great! Highly recommend it!!!
muggle

Post by muggle »

Hands down I prefer Stephen King over James Patterson.

I have read many, many Stephen King books. One of my favorite books by King is "IT". I also really enjoyed the Dark Tower series. There are very few of his that I didn't enjoy. Patterson is not one of the authors I like.
bossman223

Post by bossman223 »

Don't be reluctant to start a Stephen King book. To mis-quote that tiger from the cereal box "He's GREAT!" He really is a great author. His character are always well rounded and for me real. There's a certain human quality to his characters that i find most authors can't obtain.
The Dark Tower series is great, but maybe a little much for a first time with the King. I would suggest Misery or possibly 11/22/63 both are less on the "scary" side and are great novels.
To James Patterson's credit I will say I just finished Zoo and found it to be a great novel, but in no way can he hold a candle to the King.
Good luck on your adventure through the pages

-- 28 Jan 2015, 01:47 --
Chanensassy22 wrote: I've got so many books going on right now but I am itching to read Mr Mercedes.
You really do need to give Mr. Mercedes a read. I just finished it a month or so ago and found it to be an excellent read.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I personally would never even think to compare King and Patterson. They have two completely different writing styles. King is hands down the best at what he does. I'd really like to know what Patterson book one would consider scary or similar to King. The books that I have read that Patterson has written, did not even come close. With that being said, I do like and admire Patterson as an author; I have enjoyed various books that he's written as well, but I could never choose between the two because their styles are very different.

I would definitely recommend you read the Stand by Stephen King. You would really enjoy it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

I have watched a few Stephern King book-based movies and I think they are rather scary. But scary tends to stick in my mind better than an easy-goiing romance novel in which the conflict is rarely there. That said, however, I am not looking to read any of his novels. I've also read a fwe James Patterson novels, but I actuallly loved his 3 books that were more romantic than scary.

If James Patterson makes any more romantic novels, I would like to be the first at the library to read them.
hospicenurse4u

Post by hospicenurse4u »

I love james Pattersons books and I also enjoy stephen King novels, I have to say in recommending one or twould I would say Misery or Cujo. Both are very good and not too scary
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I really like James Patterson and I like a few books by Stephen King, but It scarred me for life and I've never again been able to read another Stephen King book. I would say they're not really the same at all because Stephen King to me is very much more of a "horror" genre (with the exception of a few books) but James Patterson is more crime/mystery.

I myself much prefer James Patterson and I love crime/thriller/mystery novels but Stephen King can give me nightmares. I guess what the saleswoman was trying to say is they both have scary aspects to them and therefore she was drawing the conclusion they're in the same genre, but I would disagree. Apart from that, Stephen King's books are also more supernatural, whereas James Patterson's aren't.

I think if you like James Patterson you're far more likely to like Michael Connelly. You should give him a try if you haven't already-- they're quite similar and Connelly isn't scary!
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
romymaria
Currently Reading: The Color Master
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romymaria.html
Latest Review: "Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two" by Agostino Scafidi

Post by romymaria »

The Darktower series is great!
Latest Review: "Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two" by Agostino Scafidi
jeannie79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeannie79.html

Post by jeannie79 »

I like to read books by James Patterson.

Return to “Discuss Authors”