If you could take a writing class which author would it be?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ryne_57
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8806">Sick Puppy</a>
Currently Reading: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryne-57.html

Re: If you could take a writing class which author would it

Post by ryne_57 »

I've got to agree with bluemel4 about Neil Garman. I follow him on Tumblr, and it's so inspiring to hear how he talks about his craft and tries to encourage new writers. Also, I'd like to take a class from someone like James Patterson to find out how he can keep the story ideas flowing in order to write the quantity and the quality of work he does.
tamarah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tamarah »

If I could take a writing class from any author, I would have to choose Karen Kingsbury, hands-down! Her characters come so alive in her books that the reader feels he/she knows them personally and is right there in the story with them! The artful character development extends from book to book, with a wide diversity of characters. The true hearts and morals of Karen's characters come through so simply and cleanly while maintaining the truths of real life.
SilverWolf
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silverwolf.html
Reading Device: B00AZQ8CNG

Post by SilverWolf »

No question, for me it would be Margaret Atwood.
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

May_Mag wrote:I think I would pick Colleen Hoover since she knows how to get to the reader's emotions! :lol:
I completely agree with you! I have read three books by Colleen Hoover so far and love her writing! She has great character development and really allows her readers to become part of the story. I plan to read more by her very soon!
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
PeggyCarter
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggycarter.html

Post by PeggyCarter »

Probably Gillian Flynn. She is definitely one of my all time favorites and the way she write has me unable to put down the book without finishing it.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Ted Dekker without a doubt! Though Jerry Jenkins and Steven James are not bad options either. 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
mduchene
Currently Reading: Good to Great
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mduchene.html

Post by mduchene »

As cliche as it may sound, I would love to be able to meet and learn from J. k. Rowling. While her writing style isn't overly unique, her books are written at a level that is accessible to most readers of varying reading levels and age groups, which is something that I don't often come across. Also, I truly believe she would have something to teach everyone on the art of story boarding and envisioning your story to the end - every time I read the Harry Potter series, I am amazed at her ability to weave minute details throughout all seven books, over many years of writing. I believe she would be a phenomenal author to learn from!
Nicole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Nicole »

Definitely Delilah Marvelle! I've always admired her writing style. Elements of action, comedy and drama can all be found in her historical romance books, and nothing was ever awkward or unnatural.
Aijaace
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Bookshelf Size: 157
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Aijaace »

I have to say I have couple to choose from. I would either choose James Patterson, Becca Fitzpatrick, Lauren Kate, Jennifer L Armentrout, Edgar Allen Poe, or Shakespeare. I would love to just meet them.
Jane Doe
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-doe.html

Post by Jane Doe »

The first name that popped into my mind was James Patterson. I love his writing style and he is very successful.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Neil Gaiman or Brandon Sanderson give awesome wiring advice. Brandon's lectures on YouTube are amazing. I'd love to learn the craft from either of them.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I would love to take a writing class with Rosamund Hodge. I love her lyrical prose, her world-building and the way she develops atmosphere. The more I think I about it, the more I realize how badly I need this.
My weekend is all booked!
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

Dan Brown
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

It would be Agatha Christie as I always dreamed of being a writer of crime novels.
Delphinus
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delphinus.html

Post by Delphinus »

J.K. Rowling or Pam Grout

Return to “Discuss Authors”