J.K. Rowling or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
+Eevee+
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevee.html

Re: J.K. Rowling or John Green?

Post by +Eevee+ »

J.K. Rowling. I grew up reading Harry Potter. The only book I've read by John Green was TFIOS and I didn't like it.
tay-a808
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by tay-a808 »

I have only read 1 book by John Green(The Fault In Our Stars) so I will have to say J.K. Rowling. I love the Harry Potter series. I grew up with it and still re-read it even though I'm 24. The Fault In Our Stars was a great book but I was so depressed afterwards i couldn't read for a few days. I would like to read more of his books though.
hospicenurse4u
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hospicenurse4u »

I have to say J.K. Rowling. She created an amazing world that you can be lost in for hours and the characters are so believably relatable to. Young or old there's a character for everyone
L Brox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-brox.html

Post by L Brox »

J.K Rowling - Harry Potter was a huge part of my childhood. I'm 25 now and I still enjoy reading them. To be fair I don't know many people who don't enjoy them.
Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

J. K. Rowling for me. I prefer fantasy books in general, and John Green rubs me the wrong way. I haven't read Fault in Our Stars yet, but I didn't like Paper Towns as much as I expected to. And he doesn't have the same sort of epic scale as Rowling. Not that that's a bad thing-it works better for his style-but I love the Harry Potter series because it is an epic adventure.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Odd comparison.

One is the author of a lengthy, in-depth fantasy series and the other writes slice-of-life singles. There's really too many differences between them to make this a fair question...

I prefer JKR myself though.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Nicolespada4a

Post by Nicolespada4a »

J.k. It's not even a contest. She created a whole new world. There's not a single person that doesn't know about Harry potter.
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Cbrunyate »

J.K. Rowling, definitely! She created a whole world that I grew up with as a child. I think John Green is a talented author as well, but I definitely have to go with Rowling for her imaginative writing.
rebeccamcivor0202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccamcivor0202.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by rebeccamcivor0202 »

Definitely J.K.Rowling!! I've read all of her books and enjoyed every last one of them. Despite the fact that John Greens The fault in our stars was absolutely amazing the other books of his that I have read unfortunately disappointed me. J.K.Rowling is consistently amazing where as John Green has only succeeded, in my opinion, to write one book I will always love and some other mediocre books in comparison.

-- 14 Feb 2015, 19:17 --

Also, I forgot to say two words that sum up why J.K Rowling is the best. Harry. Potter. How someone can compare any other author to the amazing woman who created a world I have dreamed of and wish was real! I have grown up with the Harry Potter books and can't imagine ever not enjoying them when I'm old and rereading them for probably the hundredth time :D
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

allesha wrote:I feel like they're not really comparable because John Green doesn't have a series of books out for people to get into as much as people got into the Harry Potter series. I prefer J.K. Rowling because I got hooked on the series and I have not been hooked like that by John Green.

With you there - not only do I not want to choose, I want to save these for the kid who loved HP until she is older.

I read The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines and Looking for Alaska and I laughed and cried and I am astonished at the quality of each book since most people have one super good novel and then the quality level drops as they try to write more.

I wouldn't want a 12 year old to read any of them and I wouldn't encourage a sensitive 8 year old to read HP either

I wouldn't want a 14 year old to read past TFIOS

I would hope somewhere between 16 and 18 they would read the rest because they are powerful well written YA books
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
amy_bakeroo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-bakeroo.html

Post by amy_bakeroo »

j.k. but only because she is one of my husband's favorites, and because i don't know who the other one is....
cmh627
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmh627.html

Post by cmh627 »

I don't really think their genres compare. John Green is great at what he does and excellent at building characters. JK Rowling is in a world all her own.
katyg98
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyg98.html

Post by katyg98 »

As much as I love John Green, I willl always love JK and Harry Potter more! Going to have to go with JK Rowling! She took such a risk with Harry Potter and had a pretty tough life before hand so she deserves all the success Harry Potter has had!
authoroliviarichards
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoroliviarichards.html

Post by authoroliviarichards »

Really? J.k
alithegirlwho

Post by alithegirlwho »

J.K hands down . Honestly I could never reall get into John Green's books. I can't pinpoint why, but a lot of the time I felt it was too emotionally charged to the point of ridiculousness & it felt unbelievable .

Return to “Discuss Authors”