J.K. Rowling or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jankmab
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jankmab.html

J.K. Rowling or John Green?

Post by jankmab »

Which do you like better and why?
clmartz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

JK Rowling. I've only read one piece by John Green (TFIOS), and was not colored impressed. Rowling managed to create an entirely new world that not only was our world fascinated with, but wanted to be a part of. She created characters that some of us grew up with, and I will always hold them very close to my heart.
swimmerchick29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swimmerchick29.html

Post by swimmerchick29 »

Tough question. Like clmartz, I also have only read one of John Green's novels (TFIOS) and I must agree that I like JK Rowling better as well. She took a risk with her famous Harry Potter books, creating a whole different world, along with different words, which not many authors dare to do.
bridget986

Post by bridget986 »

J.K. Rowling because the world she created with Harry Potter can never be matched
M_liabelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-liabelle.html

Post by M_liabelle »

bridget986 wrote:J.K. Rowling because the world she created with Harry Potter can never be matched
I agree. J.K. Rowling's characters are also easy to sympathize with since I practically grew up with it. And you can see how Harry and his friends mature after every book.

But, in fairness to John Green, I've only read TFIOS. Its characters are terminally ill and have the disposition and language of middle aged adults at times. Maybe the author wanted to portray them as teenagers who try to show the world that they are adults and wanted to be treated as such?
siobhan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siobhan.html

Post by siobhan »

i prefer john green. i love his style of writing a lot more
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I feel like they're not really comparable because John Green doesn't have a series of books out for people to get into as much as people got into the Harry Potter series. I prefer J.K. Rowling because I got hooked on the series and I have not been hooked like that by John Green.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

I've read Cuckoo's Calling by Rowling and it was so bad. Some people say that its not her best but after that one book I didn't want to try her any other book. I know I can be wrong at this. I've read all the books of John green and loved them all. And don't judge him on TFIOS, I loved Paper Town more. TFIOS is read most because it was romantic book and on cancer but I think Paper Town has a better message and plot than TFIOS
anna0728

Post by anna0728 »

Is this even a real question? J.k Rowling so much better than John Green no contest.
WD1993
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by WD1993 »

Oeh that is a tricky one. I've so far only read The Fault in Our Stars as have most of you and I loved it but I think ultimately I would choose J.K. Rowling. I love her Harry Potter books and the way she writes. How she was able to come up with that whole world and in so much detail. She truly knows everything about every single character ever to be written about. Magnificent!
Reading and writing, like everything else, improves with practice. - Margaret Atwood
purpleflower
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purpleflower.html

Post by purpleflower »

J.K. Rowling knows her stuff, I'm referring to the Harry Potter series. She used language in a way I haven't read since J.R.R. Tolkien. We now have Muggle the dictionary, more French than most Americans understand and a great use of meaning to really help us understand her characters. I've been with the series since 1999 when it was just starting to take hold. She's amazing and I love her books!
shadowhunter0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowhunter0.html

Post by shadowhunter0 »

J.K Rowling because she created a WHOLE world which is AMAZING and she stuck with it even when her books weren't getting published. Also John Green tends to have the same plot line in his books.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

John Green. He writes about real feelings and situations that most people don't want to deal with or admit that they feel themselves. While J.K Rowling has the glitz and glamour, Green gets down to the nitty-gritty, and I'm all about getting back to basics. (Cue Christina Aguilera)
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html

Post by rida »

binge_reader wrote:John Green. He writes about real feelings and situations that most people don't want to deal with or admit that they feel themselves. While J.K Rowling has the glitz and glamour, Green gets down to the nitty-gritty, and I'm all about getting back to basics. (Cue Christina Aguilera)
I totally agree with you. He has a good down to life writing style
Read, read & eat then read some more
Nine

Post by Nine »

Hmm... I think I'll have to go with John Green since I've never been able to get into Harry Potter.

Return to “Discuss Authors”