J.K. Rowling or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
oxford
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oxford.html

Re: J.K. Rowling or John Green?

Post by oxford »

Definitely J.K. Rowling. Amazing is all I can say.
hkenney1
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkenney1.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by hkenney1 »

Rowling, without a doubt. She is a genius on the page. The way she can hold information and still create from the imaginative base she's made is unparalleled.

-- 23 Jun 2015, 20:57 --
JessiePhill
Currently Reading: The Glass Castle
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiephill.html

Post by JessiePhill »

Personally I would have to say Rowling because I love the Harry Potter books and the movies. The series was my first "can't put it down" series. However, I will give credit to John Green. Green has written some good books and I have been meaning to read some of his books, starting with An Abundance Of Katherines.
skylarharkless
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylarharkless.html

Post by skylarharkless »

Tough question, but I am going to have to go with J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter is a classic. The most enthralling, unique, and quirky books ever to exist (in my opinion, of course). John Green's characters are original and easy to relate to, which pulls on the heart strings, but J.K. Rowling just knows how to weave the impossible to make it as real as can be. And I am glad to be living in the same generation as her!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

This would be an unfair comparison because they are in different genres and are phenomenal authors in their own ways. They both have their unique styles and excel at that style. Like binge-reader said JK has the glitze/glamour and Green gets to the core nitty gritty, those are completely different styles. If we were comparing Green with another author who does the nitty gritty writing it would easier.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

J.K. Rowling by far as an author. John Green seems like the nicest person with vlogbrothers though. J.K. started my love for reading, so she will always have my points for that!
melissaaa1998
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissaaa1998.html

Post by melissaaa1998 »

JK Rowling in a heartbeat. Although they are not very comparable authors, John Green tends to be very repetitive in his books. Looking For Alaska and Paper Towns have very similar plots and ideas and it was easy for me to get off track while reading Paper Towns. The Harry Potter series got me hooked right away and I loved how intertwined each book was.
PicklePower

Post by PicklePower »

I love Harry Potter, but I'm gonna go with John Green!
Lakrits
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakrits.html

Post by Lakrits »

J.K. Rowling. My childhood / teenage years were ruled by two obsessions: the comedy series Friends and the Harry Potter books. As a result, I have an undying and unconditional love for Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling. The world J.K. created is simply magnificent. Her books were so detailed, meaningful, and powerful. I loved them (still do) and they taught me a lot.

That being said, I started reading J.K.'s book Casual Vacancy and just could not get through it. I'll give The Cuckoo's Calling a go soon and I hope J.K. won't disappoint me with that one.

I also have to admit that I've only read one of John Green's books, The Fault In Our Stars. It was okay, but I wasn't impressed by it. I wouldn't give it a bad review, but I've read tons of books that I liked more and that stuck with me much more.

Everyone has their own taste, of course, but personally I think that John Green is a bit overrated (although I'm basing this on only one of his books, so what do I know, really?) and I think that J.K. Rowling, despite the awfulness that is Casual Vacancy, is more worthy of all of the fame and praise.
laurelinarien
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurelinarien.html
Latest Review: "My Life, My Soul" by Ivette Attaud

Post by laurelinarien »

This is a really difficult one. J.K Rowling created a wonderful world but John Green has better characters. By a photo-finish, probably Green just for being wittier :)
Latest Review: "My Life, My Soul" by Ivette Attaud
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

J.K. Rowling. I've only read one book by John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, and I didn't enjoy it all that much. (3/5 stars)
I love J.K. Rowling because her books are full of magic, adventure, and great characters. Her books hook you in and take you on a ride that will never get dull or boring. I highly recommend her books. (5/5 stars) :P
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I think I missed the boat with Harry Potter a bit. I didn't read them until the whole series was out and I was in my 20's, so I don't have the nostalgia of growing up with them. While I did end up reading all 7 books, they were never un-put-downable for me. I can't speak for Rowling's newer books because I haven't read them yet. I've only read two of John Green's books so far, but overall they were much more my speed.
Btkgarrity
Currently Reading: The Sky is Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btkgarrity.html

Post by Btkgarrity »

John Green. His books are real and I personally think are better. I do think that J.K. Rowling is a very creative writer though. John Green writes more emotional and realistic books that have very good plots. Both authors are also good enough to have books turn into movies though. I like The Fault in Our Stars better than Harry Potter. Both are amazing writers considering how talented each of them are.
cosmicamy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosmicamy.html

Post by cosmicamy »

I've never got into Harry potter. Though I totally respect how J.Ks created a whole other universe with magic fat bearded men and Emma Watson saying Levioooosaaaaaaaa. But I have to go with John Green. I wasn't the biggest fan of Looking for Alaska but TFIOS was super awesome. So he wins.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

I do not think you can compare these two authors because they write about totally different things. I have only read one John Green book, The Fault In Our Stars, and it was good, but not the type of book I generally enjoy. J.K. Rowling on the other hand helped shape me as a person and peaked me interest in reading. She is a terrific and detail oriented writer. So both writers are good, but I do not think you can compare apples and oranges.
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Return to “Discuss Authors”