J.K. Rowling or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

Re: J.K. Rowling or John Green?

Post by VanessaB16 »

Very tough! Though John Green has been a hit I have to say J.K. Rowling :D Her books have been utter perfection and have inspired me through fantasy and wonder.
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

John Green because I never liked the Harry Potter series much, they were just too hard to get into.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
Griffey22
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-griffey22.html

Post by Griffey22 »

J.K.Rowling all the way.
KStephens
Currently Reading: Anchor of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KStephens »

J.K. Rowling
crewsreader

Post by crewsreader »

I would have to say JK Rowling. Haven't read too many John Green books so I can't say I'd I like his books better. Rowling knows what she's doing. An entire series dedicated to wizards and now a major motion picture. She's got it figured out.
Bdr1209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdr1209.html

Post by Bdr1209 »

John Green is a great writer of relatable, real-life events and themes. JK Rowling is much better at fantasy fiction and creating elaborate worlds that everyone wants to be a part of. I have read books by both of them that I didn't feel were particularly strong works. Looking For Alaska by John Green was a disappointing book that I felt lacked direction. Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling was a depressing and pessimistic view on society that I would not read again. Fault In Our Stars was one of the most heartfelt books I've ever read and John Green did an amazing job incorporating a book into the main theme. The Harry Potter series is unparalleled by any other books out there. The way JK Rowling created this fantasy land that was still full of heartache, loss, sadness, joy, relationships, and working towards the ultimate good, was unforgettable. I guess if I had to pick, JK Rowling will always be an author that I keep coming back to because I was able to live another life through her characters.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I'd even go so far as to say these two authors aren't even comparable. I like Rowling because of the entire world she just made up. She made her story presentable to the entire world and allowed us all to experience magic like never before. Now Green? He makes things relatable. His stories are something that could actually happen. You sympathize with the characters and could imagine Hazel as your sister. If I had a gun to my head and forced to pick I'd go with Rowling because I get continual pleasure from her writing where as Green's was more of a great experience that may or may not change the next time I visit him.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
ubbah12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubbah12.html

Post by ubbah12 »

J.K. Rowling. No question. I have read 3 books by John Green and the whole Harry Potter series (3 times) and I have to say that J.K.'s writing style is more creative.
alexandriahi

Post by alexandriahi »

I love both of these authors. The Harry Potter series is one of my favorites, but John Green's books are amazing as well. I have read Fault in our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, and just bought An Abundance of Katherine's. While J.K Rowling's books are a great read for fantasy, John Green's books are more focused on real-life problems.
Rakshita

Post by Rakshita »

J.K. Rowling or John Green? Well I really can't compare them as on one hand J.K. Rowling is all about magic and fights and wizards which I figured out from The Tales of Beedle the Bard and there on the other hand John Green aims towards unexpected endings and romance with mysterious emotions which I figured out from Paper Towns and TFIOS.. So I actually can't choose anyone between the two because they both are amazing in their own beautiful ways.. :)
Foxley
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxley.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Foxley »

I couldn't get through looking for Alaska or a fault in our stars. I find John Green's writing style to be too pretentious. I don't think the authors are very comparable either, since they write completely different genres. Unless you're just putting them under Adult Fiction.

Edit: the world Rowling built alone sets her light years ahead of Green. Sorry, but John Green isn't going to have his own dedicated theme park either.
Rekeshaw

Post by Rekeshaw »

J. K. Rowling, but I feel like that's more the genre I like to read. All of John Green's books have never caught my interest with even their topics so I've never been inclined to open one and see if he has a good writing style. I remember see ads for The Fault in Our Stars and it honestly just looked depressing.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I've never read John Green, but I have a tough time when comparing authors because each one has something different to offer. Any recommendations on a John Green book to start?

Return to “Discuss Authors”