Terry Pratchett

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
theQ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Terry Pratchett

Post by theQ »

He's the author of the Discworld series. Anyone a fan? I've only read a couple of his books. Which ones are the best?
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

Me! I'm a fan!

Starting depends on what you like, and what you have already read.

There are two ways to approach the Discworld, you can go for a start to finish, as they were written, or you can pick a group of characters you like and go with the books about those ones. But it's best to read them in chronological order, because the characters do grow and develop, so if you are looking at young Carrot, then suddenly he's a Captain, you may get yourself lost!

I like the Guards and the Witches arcs, myself. Start with Guards, Guards and work through, or Sorcery introduces the inimitable Granny Weatherwax. Death is always fun too. He starts out his journey properly in Mort, although he makes cameos in many other books.
Bailey.booklover

Post by Bailey.booklover »

I've only read the Wee Free Men series (young adult books), but they were great - even for an adult. Kind of a Harry Potter with a more female twist.
Zred13
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Earthsea
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zred13.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Zred13 »

Anything by Pratchett solo is good, but he is one of my favorite co-authors. When you throw his imagination and puns in with another author it creates a very special kind of magic. Gaiman and Pratchett are a couple of my favorites. I like the Death Cycle books and Night Watch series.
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

Yes i've read all the discworld, i think it works best if read in order. I also like his collaboration with Neil Gaiman called 'Good Omens'.
His 'Stephen Baxter' collaborations 'Long Earth' and 'Long War' are good too but i thought they felt a little fractured.

There's also his earlier work, 'Strata' was pretty good and i remember really liking 'Only You Can Save Mankind' as a kid.
Oh and the 'Unadulterated Cat' is a fun little item.. if you like cats :) .

He also does some discworld science books, these are quite heavy and technical but worth a look except for the second one 'The Globe' which was garbage.

By the way the new gollanz hardbacks look AWESOME!! http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/10/annou ... s-library/ but you REALLY need to see them in a store.
Unfortunately for me i'm not the kind of person who can buy two copies of something and since i already have all the books i'm stuck... unless i burn down my house... which i'm considering ;) .
snowrivver
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: Thief of Time - Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowrivver.html
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by snowrivver »

Unfortunately for me i'm not the kind of person who can buy two copies of something and since i already have all the books i'm stuck... unless i burn down my house... which i'm considering ;) .
You could always donate your current copies one at a time to a local high school, they always need books, and that way you have reason to get the new pretty ones. I agree, they do look pretty awesome.

My favorite Pratchett book is Thief of Time because it has all my favourite characters in it, Susan in particular, and the chocolate incident is awesome, but anything with Death in it is a winner for me.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Unfortunately one of the best British authors and one of my favorite authors has passed away. May he rest in peace!

Sir Terry Pratchett, renowned fantasy author, dies aged 66
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

That is just so sad :cry:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I remember reading A Hat full of Sky...not sure which series it is. I've been interested in reading Discworld but have no idea where to start. I'd like to read it chronologically. Can anyone tell me the name of the first book?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I remember reading A Hat full of Sky...not sure which series it is. I've been interested in reading Discworld but have no idea where to start. I'd like to read it chronologically. Can anyone tell me the name of the first book?
The order doesn't really matter. The first book is "The Colour of Magic". The first and second books are a bit weak, but the series gets better in the next books.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

gali wrote:
Rachaelamb1 wrote:I remember reading A Hat full of Sky...not sure which series it is. I've been interested in reading Discworld but have no idea where to start. I'd like to read it chronologically. Can anyone tell me the name of the first book?
The order doesn't really matter. The first book is "The Colour of Magic". The first and second books are a bit weak, but the series gets better in the next books.
That is good to know. Thanks!
A Hormeku

Post by A Hormeku »

saracen77 wrote:Me! I'm a fan!

Starting depends on what you like, and what you have already read.

There are two ways to approach the Discworld, you can go for a start to finish, as they were written, or you can pick a group of characters you like and go with the books about those ones. But it's best to read them in chronological order, because the characters do grow and develop, so if you are looking at young Carrot, then suddenly he's a Captain, you may get yourself lost!

I like the Guards and the Witches arcs, myself. Start with Guards, Guards and work through, or Sorcery introduces the inimitable Granny Weatherwax. Death is always fun too. He starts out his journey properly in Mort, although he makes cameos in many other books.
I started with Going Postal. It was given to me by my boyfriend, now husband. This one gift is probably a big part of what made me fall in love with him. The Guards have such a small part in this book, but I loved them so much. I went out have found the entire arc, and blew through it. Starting with the Guards is great advice.

-- 31 Mar 2015, 10:07 --
gali wrote:Unfortunately one of the best British authors and one of my favorite authors has passed away. May he rest in peace!

Terry Pratchett will be sorely missed. I rarely lament a celebrity death, because... well I don't really know them. Terry Pratchett's death feels different. I am so accustomed to hearing his voice through his writing. I feel like his death is a real loss to this world.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

gali wrote:
The first book in the whole Discworld series is The Colour of Magic but the first book in the Tiffany Aching Series (a subseries of the Discworld, which includes A Hat Full of Sky) is Wee Free Men. The Tiffany Aching books are among my favourite.

Terry Pratchett is my absolute favourite writer. I also don't really think that it's necessary to read his books in order, at least not the Discworld novels. Most of them are stand alones, and although the characters will of course have experienced things that have shaped them in previous books, Pratchett doesn't really give spoilers. His writing style does change a bit towards the end of the Discworld books though. And the world does develop quite significantly. I guess the best thing is to just bear this in mind, and take note of where in the series you are if you do decide to go back and read earlier books of his. They're like popcorn though, once you taste one you just can't stop.

I have so many favourites! Anything with the witches (Granny Weatherwax is my hero) and Death is great. Sam Vimes is also a really strong character. Small Gods, Hogfather, Wyrd Sisters, Lords and Ladies, Thief of Time, Soul Music, Mort, The Fifth Elephant... every single book is brilliant in its own way. I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Hogfather is one book that makes me snort with laughter every single time.

Sorry for not being much help! My best advice is to just pick up the first one you come across and enjoy the ride...

-- 16 Jun 2015, 09:58 --

I was heartbroken when Terry Pratchett died, but I knew he was unhappy in his last years. I plan on getting a tribute tattoo later this year.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fenderjedi
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by fenderjedi »

Guards Guards was my first one, and I was hooked straight away. I then read them really in a random order up to Guards, then in order after that. As long as you are aware of 'going back in time' the order isn't too important. A bit like starting Star Wars with episode IV.
ylang_02
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ylang-02.html

Post by ylang_02 »

I like Nightwatch and the witches series.
The humors and how he can incorporate some real life events / experience in Nightwatch , which keep replaying in my mind. And I will in turn tell the story to my husband.

Return to “Discuss Authors”