Would You Want Your Favorite Author To Read A Book You Wrote

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: Would You Want Your Favorite Author To Read A Book You W

Post by RussetDivinity »

I'd be unlikely to send my book to any of my favorite authors, partly because some are dead and partly because I wouldn't want to take up too much of their time. However, if they were to pick up the book off a shelf or have it recommended to them, I'd love the chance to have my book read by someone whose writing I admire. If they were to tell me how they felt about it, that would be even better.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Russet (and others)...

Some here seem to be separating themselves from well-known authors. And indeed, some are aloof and unapproachable, and are famous celebs who are isolated from the general public. But most writers are "real" people who go on book release tours and are quite accessible. Many of these personable writers, for example, maintain an active website or Facebook presence and are always chatting with fans.

If your own writing is similar to that favored author (such as similar genres) then you might try to establish a connection. I did this with a very well known mystery author whose modern-day American private detective books are classics. As a private detective author myself, I got in touch with him to ask him a legitimate question. I also was at the time doing book & movie reviews for the local newspaper and shared with him a sarcastic review I'd written about a particularly awful mystery "thriller", about which this well known author got a huge laugh.

Anyway, we established a real correspondence. Later, when my first novel was sold, he graciously provided a review, which really helped boost sales.

Point being, don't place well known writers on too much of a pedestal. Most of them (there are of course a few jerks) are approachable. And are therefore potential "allies" and resources. And many of them would be very happy to read your book.

This of course means not that you've simply finished a novel, but that your book's been sold to publisher and is in print (or about to be), which establishes that critical "professional" aspect of your being a "real" author. But if your book's in print (not self-published!) then yes, a famous author might indeed be happy to read that book and provide comment, maybe even a cover blurb, as did the famous author for my first novel.

Therefore, don't sit in a corner by the stove and dream of things. Instead, do them!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
chrystal_vaughan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-vaughan.html

Post by chrystal_vaughan »

I would love to have Stephen King, or Dean Koontz, or Thomas Harris read my latest book. Mostly, I'd like to get their input on what I did right (write haha) and what I need to work on. It would be awesome to have that kind of mentorship, in my opinion.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Good luck on Thomas Harris. He's a bit of a recluse, rarely gives interviews, never tours, is otherwise not much approachable. Koontz I know nothing about personally. And King is a huge corporation by now, he the CEO.

Of the few authors I've met, one has been Cormac McCarthy (author of Blood Meridian, Child of God, The Road, No Country for Old Men). I knew him very slightly in El Paso, found him to be a brilliant and congenial man. This was of course before he gained national prominence.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

Yes I would, but then I have many favorite authors. :D If I had a choice, I would say I would like to have Margaret Weis or Tracey Hickman review what I am writing as well as David Eddings or Stephen Lawhead. Hmmmm.. The list can go on and on..
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

I have enough anxiety having people I know read my writing--to have my favorite author even so much as glance at it would send me into a full fledged panic attack!
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

Clmartz, I do agree with you there. If it came down to reality, I would be shaking like a leaf if one of my favorite authors wanted to review something I was writing.

Erich
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading

Post by Alden Loveshade »

I've been blessed to have some of my favorite authors read my work. But it was a long time before I got comfortable enough to ask. I kept in mind, "This is just one person's opinion."
"A book is man’s best friend outside of a dog, and inside of a dog it’s too dark to read."
Jim Brewer, Cleveland, O. (also attributed to Groucho Marx)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

That would be so scary! But I would go for it, I think, if I had the chance to get a famous author to read it. I think they would be courteous enough to just not say anything if they didn't like it, but if they did like it, they would give it good ratings and then it could become famous as well! Possible? Maybe?
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I would be absolutely terrified to give something of mine to my favorite author! I think I would mostly feel not worthy. But if the opportunity ever came up, I think it would be great!
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I would be nervous about it, but ultimately if I had the opportunity of any of my favorite authors to read my writing then I would most definitely suck it up and let them read it, telling them in advance to tell me their real opinions: no holds bard. They have already achieved the success that I am aiming for, and are also sympathetic to the process, specifically the aspect of the initial sharing of your work. It is a very personal thing to be a writer; you put your heart and soul into your work. To have that piece of you rejected is a very personal feeling. So knowing that, I think they would provide the kind of criticism that could be harsh, but would also show you how to make your writing successful. That is the most invaluable kind of feedback you can get.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I think I would hate for David Sedaris to read my stories! He would probably laugh at them and then write an amazingly funny story about how terrible mine are. Or maybe he would love them and try to steal them for his next book. Who knows!?
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
MichaelMcManus
Favorite Author: James Michner
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Too Young to Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelmcmanus.html

Post by MichaelMcManus »

I have one book that I would like my favorite author to read. He might like it. I am afraid he would find my other books a bit trivial. Unfortunately, it will never happen, because he has left this plain.
Friedrich Nietzsche: And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think that I would be too embarrassed to let anybody who is so established to read my scribbles. I even get embarrassed to let my family read what I have written.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I am a total chicken, and I would probably not even think about sending anything I wrote to my favorite author. I would be wwaaaayyyyy too embarrassed if I found out that she didn't like it! :oops:

But then again, what if she did like it? :?: Quite the dilemma!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Discuss Authors”