Diana Wynne Jones

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Favorite Author: I have more than one
Favorite Book: Also have more than one favorite book.
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsalagi-phoenix.html

Diana Wynne Jones

Post by Tsalagi_Phoenix »

I love her books. She is one of my favorite authors and as a writer myself, she has been a huge influence and inspiration to me.

Who else is a fan of Diana Wynne Jones?
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

I am! Love her books :)
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Currently Reading:

CuriousJorgi wrote:I am! Love her books :)
How long have you been a fan of her?

I've only been a fan for 5 years. I found out about her after watching the Howl's Moving Castle movie.
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

Same for me :) My best friend gave me Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and House of Many Ways for my birthday after the movie came out.
Greycreature

Post by Greycreature »

I've been wanting to read Howl's Moving Castle after I saw the movie. is it really good?
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Currently Reading:

Greycreature wrote:I've been wanting to read Howl's Moving Castle after I saw the movie. is it really good?
I think it is wonderful. Howl's Moving Castle is one of my all time favorite books.
ayesha02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha02.html

Post by ayesha02 »

I've read most of her books and she is one of my favorite authors. Her books are the most frequently reread books on my shelf. And Howl's Moving Castle was the first of her books that I read, years ago when I was a kid. I loved it then and I still do now.
Kristin_E_Inglis
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-e-inglis.html

Post by Kristin_E_Inglis »

I read Howl moving Castle on my tablet and found it most enjoyable
mccarty231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mccarty231.html

Post by mccarty231 »

I am such a fan. Especially Dark Lord of Derkholm and Joel's Moving Castle. She really digs into serious issues in her playful books. Love Dark lord for its commentary on consumerism!
millieanne

Post by millieanne »

So, I just created an account and Diana Wynne Jones was the first author I thought to search these forums for. I totally love her books! I think my favourite thing about them is the creativity that goes into every world she makes - they're all so different, and so complicated. Do other people have ideas about what makes her novels so great?

I think my fave book of hers is The Merlin Conspiracy. Have any of you read it?

Also, I went to a session at the Edinburgh International Book Festival in August, held by the writer Lari Don, which was all about Diana Wynne Jones' book Power of Three, and it was really exciting to see how many people were there who were absolute die-hard Diana fans :-)
dreamrei
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamrei.html

Post by dreamrei »

i love all her books! I have been a fan for a long time now. I adore her different worlds.
millieanne

Post by millieanne »

I totally agree dreamrei. Do you have a favourite? I think if I ever wrote a book her world building would be a real inspiration to me.
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Post by lovelyreader21 »

I love Diana Wynne Jones! She writes with such a unique style and comes up with such interesting and connected stories...she inspires me to write more interesting, out of my comfort zone work. Glad to meet someone else who loves her! In America, not many people seem to even know who she is.
millicentweber

Post by millicentweber »

Yeah, it's the same in Australia, lovelyreader21. I am always encouraging people to read her books, but they rarely do! I think the movie version of Howl's Moving Castle went some way towards giving her more acknowledgement, but she remains an under-appreciated writer here. It's wonderful to hear you find her work so inspiring - what sort of thing do you write?
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Post by lovelyreader21 »

millicentweber wrote:It's wonderful to hear you find her work so inspiring - what sort of thing do you write?
I'm mostly into writing historical fiction, but she kind of pushes me into writing more fantasy, surreal-type works. I find researching things fun (I have some strange hobbies) and so writing historical stuff is mostly my forte. I don't understand how she's pretty big in the UK but basically unknown in other places. It's a shame! What about you? Are you a writer or just an avid reader?
“All I insist on, and nothing else, is that you should show the whole world that you are not afraid. Be silent, if you choose; but when it is necessary, speak – and speak in such a way that people will remember it.”
-Mozart

Return to “Discuss Authors”