What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MaggieMariee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Post by MaggieMariee »

I typically try to stay away from sci-fi books. I guess I'm just really not a fan of the genre as a whole.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I generally stay away from the Romance genre. I feel like the plot is usually so trite because we all already know that the two leads will end up together so everything else is sort of forced. For more cases than I would like to say, a lot of romance books I stumble upon are pure wish fulfilment, which ends up to be incredibly boring. The characters are typically weak, there are almost no points of interest, and the tension in the novel is typically very weak and predictable. I think that romance works a lot better as a subplot, but I still hope to find a good one!
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I usually don't read romance novels. I guess it's because you can often tell within the first two pages who is going going to fall in love and what the plot is going to be.
casjak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by casjak »

I tend to stay away from non-fiction and romance. I don't mind a little romance in books, but not when its driving the story or the point of the whole book.
KStephens
Currently Reading: Anchor of Hope

Post by KStephens »

Non-fiction.
Bookqueen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookqueen.html

Post by Bookqueen »

Non-fiction and some romance
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I tend to avoid animal books, especially nonfiction animal books. It's a lot harder for me to connect to something that isn't human (or human-like; I can mostly get through sci-fi about aliens and robots), and I'm just not as interested in animals as I am in people.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Blo0dwashed

Post by Blo0dwashed »

Romance books. I've seen too many friends of mine fall for the stereotypes created in those books. I've seen too many broken hearts because they had unrealistic expectations created by this. Also anything with sex in it. I'm a christian and let it suffice to say I don't need any more temptation in my life.
Daphni
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=15864">A Game of Thrones</a>
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphni.html

Post by Daphni »

I stay away from romance, I do not care to read about the love story of two characters, is dry and boring. Yet, I do not mind a bit of romance in other genres, because ironically it gives the story some spice. But, romance on its own is just not for me, it needs help from other genre to give it life and body.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

Horror and Sci-fi, they don't really interest me like a mystery/crime novel would which is usually more believable and grounded.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I'm not very interested in western type books or romance. It just does nothing for me. I've read 2 now seemingly slightly "western" books and the first one I really liked, but it wasn't cowboys, it was about farming in the Midwest. This second one is also set in the Midwest and I'm not enjoying it as much.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

real horror and erotic are not my thing
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

Erotica and erotic Romance, because I've never read one well written. Most Romance actually, with occasional exceptions for quality writing. Also military or crime. Just not my thing.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Historical non-fiction, unless it's something that really catches my eye, romance, as it always seems to be the same kind of path in every book, and mystery due to pretty the same reason as romance books.
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

I generally steer clear of both romance and western novels. I feel like both genres have the large flaw of attempting to cater more to one gender than another and in sacrficing the overall quality of their writing in order to accomplish some sort of "Wish fulfillment" for their chosen gender.

I have read good romance novels, as well as good western novels, but an overall negative history with both genres has slowly pushed me away.
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”