What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Thomas Tham
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomas-tham.html

Re: What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Post by Thomas Tham »

Non-Fiction mostly cause I really can't imagine all this realistic info in my head. I never tried horror so I'm not sure about that genre. Last but not least vampire or werewolves. I have almost had enough of this genre every since Twilight/
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm not a fan of any non-fiction (including memoirs, biographies, self-help, blah blah blah), anything historical, crime, mysteries (with some exceptions, maybe, if I feel like it), or epic fantasy. Not a big fan of the "classics" either.
animalrescuer976
Favorite Book: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalrescuer976.html

Post by animalrescuer976 »

I tend to stay away from crybaby books. I find that when I reach a really sad part that makes me want to cry it is always when I'm in public. Crying in public is so awkward. I also tend to stay away from humor books. I would much prefer to be able to see a comedian and the micro-expressions on their face.
Maddy_Knapp01
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddy-knapp01.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Maddy_Knapp01 »

Erotic romance, non fiction and horror. The first topic is because it's too inappropriate for me even though I'm 19 but I just don't want my parents to know that I'm reading that genre. Non fiction (with the exception of a topic of interest) because most of the time (well it is) like reading a text book and I don't want to read text books unless I don't have to. Horror, I don't like horror movies because I'm a scaredy cat and I get scared too easily so I think the books would have the same effect on me.
flakymn

Post by flakymn »

horror. They scare me!
Mo_The_Book_Worm

Post by Mo_The_Book_Worm »

I definitely steer clear of romance novels. Wanting to make out with Fabio in the moonlight is not a plot line, it's distracting. Please go back to fighting dragons or whatever else the story is about. Lol
bunnypeach1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunnypeach1.html

Post by bunnypeach1 »

Sci - fi and fantasy are the worst! No Harry potter LOTR dragons vampires witches faries gremlins whatever it is WAY too unrealistic! I can't care about or connect with any of the characters.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

animalrescuer976 wrote:I tend to stay away from crybaby books. I find that when I reach a really sad part that makes me want to cry it is always when I'm in public. Crying in public is so awkward. I also tend to stay away from humor books. I would much prefer to be able to see a comedian and the micro-expressions on their face.
Hahaha! This totally just cracked me up! Crybaby books! Well said! I would never have thought of it like that, but I guess I am not a big fan of this genre either. Although I do catch myself crying at books occasionally, and I think, "I will never read this again!" And then I love it, for some reason. It's a complex relationship, I guess.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I detest erotica books... the sex scenes are always cringe-worthy and sometimes detract from the beautiful love story between characters.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Ugh... I've been reading a ton of YA romance here lately, and it's starting to get on my nerves. I don't know why! I usually love it! I might have to steer clear of it for just a while and return again when I am feeling normal. Or when people start writing better stories? What's up these days?
bakerax
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bakerax.html

Post by bakerax »

I have to agree about Horror books - I can get into just about anything else. History can be hard - if it's a story about a family or person in history, that's different, but a story about a country, or a group of people where you don't get intimately involved in their life, is just not for me!
tanya+yeah

Post by tanya+yeah »

Non-fiction and Romance. I do try one every now and then, but the interest is simply not there.
Arcturus78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcturus78.html

Post by Arcturus78 »

Self help books. They rarely help anyone but the author.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

Most American historical fiction. I feel like after a while, everything starts looking the same. A boy, a dog, a dying relative, bullies at school, they become a "man" in the end. Often, I feel like the story is mainly anecdotes, without much of an overarching goal. However, I'm sure there are exceptions to this, if anyone finds any, I'd love to know!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Erotica, horror, fantasy....
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”