What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Erotic
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Qowe2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Qowe2 »

Horror books. I don't like reading a book that is going to make me feel frightened. I read to feel good.
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

Romance (not to be mistaken with Erotica which I do read)

I find Romance novels cheesy.
She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings.
Ariana Dancu
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

I'm with you on Westerns as well. Cat Ballou was an exception, but I can't think of any others.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I am not a fan of historical books. I have a hard time getting in to them and often avoid reading them at all costs. I also do not have a lot of non-fiction books because when I read, I want to be taken to a new world and get lost in the book.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
StainedGlassTiger3

Post by StainedGlassTiger3 »

Romance and modern horror. Romance is incredibly boring and horror after Lovecraft ... I don't know exactly, I just dislike it. I don't like reading just to have simple pleasures gratified, though I don't disrespect the people who do.
Nicolelovesray

Post by Nicolelovesray »

Eh, I'm not a fan of romance or non-fiction.
DABale_Publishing
Currently Reading: Think Before You Speak
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by DABale_Publishing »

I steer clear of romance because of the overwhelming cheese factor. YA also because it's usually just too full of teenage angst to be palatable.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

Even though I'm technically a teenager (even if I'm legally an adult), I've always kinda disliked young adult books. I find that the characters are usually extremely selfish and it's alllll about the teenagers (usually just the protagonist). They're also usually filled with romance and I guess I don't really care much for romance (they often involve intercourse too and I'm not interested in that either).

-- 09 May 2016, 19:15 --
DABale_Publishing wrote:I steer clear of romance because of the overwhelming cheese factor. YA also because it's usually just too full of teenage angst to be palatable.
I agree with you on that definitely
Demorales

Post by Demorales »

Horror of course. For a person that has had her fair share of frights in life, including the supernatural ones, I have get to find a horror book that does not make me want to call the author and explain to him/her why that scenario isn't believable. I find it is one of the genres that is most difficult to create true feeling in.

-- 09 May 2016, 19:52 --
torstep

Post by torstep »

I avoid really scary horror books. The last one I read was "It" by Stephen King and I clearly remember looking up at 1 a.m. seeing that clown's fingers wrapped around my door. That was it for me! No more horror books for me!
Pax

Post by Pax »

Horror, new, old, Gothic, modern, any of it. It scares the ever living crap out of me.
Fiction gives us a second chance at the things that life denies us.
~Paul Theroux
Emily-smith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-smith.html

Post by Emily-smith »

I tend to stay away from non fiction . It is not enthrallong and imaginative. Its just cold facts and details .
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Romance- I just am not interested in the genre. Even if a book is not primarily a romance novel, if there is too much of it in the story I will get annoyed.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
jessbr1988
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jessbr1988 »

I tend to stay away from sci-fi. I can't seem to get into that type of story. There's always a lot of scientific explanations that I can't get a grasp of or follow.

I also stay away from romance. Yes, I read the Fifty Shades trilogy just like every basic woman (haha) but the writing was horrendous. That's the only romance I've ever read and the story was not good enough to make up for the writing.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”