What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
laureng
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by laureng »

Probably the writing style is what draws me in most. Great storytelling is great too, but its how you write it that really gets me into someone's book. This is probably why I enjoy classics so much, but there are plenty of authors today that write beautifully. Khaled Hosseini is probably the best modern day writer who I keep coming back to who writes incredibly well.
Sdschultz

Post by Sdschultz »

I love reading the authors who create a character you fall in love with, for example Dean Knootz & his Odd Thomas character who is just a lovable guy.

Ken Follett is another author I follow, I buy every book he writes because of his style of writing, the accuracy of the historical fiction, and the continuity of characters he creates.

Love George R. R. Martin writer of the Game of Throne series. He creates memorable characters, develops a suspense filled plot, & his writing is cleverly crafted.
gmelford
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gmelford.html

Post by gmelford »

Compelling storyline, realism, and how they are able to convey emotions with words. :)
senny_bebii
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-senny-bebii.html

Post by senny_bebii »

What draws me in first is the cover and how thick the book is. Genre is also something I look for because I'm all about reading YA romance novels.

While I read a book, the humor and clever use of language brings me to like an author. I love to laugh while I read. It gives relief from the story if it gets too dramatic or something tragic has happend.

Then there is the writing style. I like a book that has just enough detail for everything. :lol:
MoakVentures

Post by MoakVentures »

This may sound funny, but it is true for me. The first attraction is the portrait of the author. Awkward, isn't it? I tend to be attracted to a good cover with a good portrait of the author at the back cover. There is this belief that beautiful things comes out of beautiful mind. But if a beautiful portrait is a reflection of a beautiful mind, is a discussion for another day! :(
freak_show
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freak-show.html

Post by freak_show »

Genius. The author's ability to stupefy me at places where it is least expected and also to mold simple story line into masterpieces that clearly convey what the author intends to. (In case of fantasy, it just has to be believable enough)
SpiritofMandy

Post by SpiritofMandy »

The ability to make their imagination both believable and understandable. An affinity with the story and the involvement of the characters within it. I really don't care what genre I am reading, so long as resonates with some semblance of realistic possibility. While a dragon will never come tumbling through the sky, Just maybe it possibly will.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

The ability of being absolutely unique and creative is what makes me want to respect an author. Good and bad is secondary. If you provide innovative story you earn my respect! :)
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I love authors who can make characters that are believable and that I can fall in love with. A while back I would have said plot, but now I want to see characters (particularly women) who are written as complexly as they are in real life.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Hannah2792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah2792.html

Post by Hannah2792 »

The book as a whole draws me to an author. The writing style, the plot, the cover, it all factors in. Once I've read a good book by an author no matter how many bad ones follow it I will always regard them as a good author, hoping that their next one will be great.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

Definitely the writing style of an author in their ability to ring characters and scenes to life. But if an author has the writing style of a 10 year old I will never read any of that authors work. That's why I will never again read anything Abi Glines has wrote even though she is a best-selling author lol
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Post by Reshmi »

Style of writing and the story of course
acq217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acq217.html

Post by acq217 »

I read books of different genres and like a lot of different authors, but one of my all time favorites is James Rollins. He has this magical way of bringing historical events to life. His descriptions make you feel like you just stepped through a portal into the events of that time. He switches to writing about an event in the present that ties into that historical event/s he wrote about. From there he creates an action/adventure/mystery story that bueautifully mixes religion, history, and science. He isn't afraid to show the ugly side of any of them. He keeps you rivoted to the edge of your seat, not wanting to put the book down, from the first sentence.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I agree with the person that said once they read a book they really like then they are drawn to that author. If I find a new author and like him/her then I want to read more of their work. What draws me to start??? Usually the story line/plot. If it sounds like something I would enjoy they I give it a try. What makes me like it when I am reading is the style, how they capture my interest from the beginning, are their characters real and likeable, do they make me want to keep reading and not put the book down.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
Lauryn April
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauryn-april.html

Post by Lauryn April »

When I think about my favorite authors, what makes them my favorites are based on their storytelling abilities and writing style. So basically, the way they actually outline a story and the progression of events is important to me, but also how they tell that story.

Some authors can think of a really good plot, with twists in all the right places and characters you root for, but they lack in their ability to bring those things to life. I sometimes see this among indie authors. They have some great ideas but maybe lack the experience to execute them as well as they could be.

Other times I'll find an author who really has a way with words, they can breathe life into even the most mundane sentence. These authors have some real talent, but often I'll find they focus so much on the words that their overall plot is lacking. More recently this is what has disappointed me with a number of traditionally published books. They were written by writers who could truly write, but they felt as if they didn't have the creativity behind them that's necessary for a story to make it into my favorites list.

I think the best authors can do both these things. They can come up with a creative, fascinating plot, and they have the ability to bring it to life. Stephen King is of course at the top of my list when I think of authors who can do this. Lauren Oliver is another who has really delighted me with her writing.

Return to “Discuss Authors”