What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
xthelostnekox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by xthelostnekox »

It's the way they write, the way they put the words and find the right words to seriously drag you in. I love ellen hopkins, because she makes me feel like i'm there. and i am being dragged through everything
slsakuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slsakuno.html

Post by slsakuno »

What I look for in a good author is the context of their writing. If the story is any good and would I want to read it again.
Their writing style I love to read from the main characters point of view most of the time as if I was really living their life, but I also love reading as the author to get a better feel of who the person is that is writing.
I love to feel the excitement and emotions of the characters, if the author gets those feelings across I am hooked.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I'm always drawn to really well developed characters who display traits that we can either equate with, sympathise with, love or condemn. I believe that every novel should have characters to both love and hate. Of course, a good, sound plot is also vital, but somehow for me, it's the characters I mostly remember afterwards.
Ladiifranny

Post by Ladiifranny »

The way they write as well as the genre. I'm a big fan of genre. It's also how I usually find authors I like.
tinegunner
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Favorite Book: The English Patient
Currently Reading: The Girl who Played with Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinegunner.html
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by tinegunner »

Generally it is the way they write, and if they can suck me into a story or not. A lot of times I feel like i can relate to the author by the way they write, even if I don't necessarily relate to the characters. If I read a book that I really like I generally research their other books and may read everything they have written.
DAbb85

Post by DAbb85 »

I have to admit-the cover will be the first attraction. Then I read the summary on the back.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

Definitely the style of their writing, the way they create imagery, use details, literary devices, and of course a gripping plot and well thought-up characters. I like a lot of different genres, and that's mainly because of the author's writing style.
Stella White 47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-white-47.html

Post by Stella White 47 »

I am drawn to an author in the same way as to any person I am getting to know. I read one page, and I feel a connection. It might be what he/she is writing about, or how they express themselves, their skill or something I cannot separate out and say "That's it!" I simply want to read more, and then more.
CMHP83

Post by CMHP83 »

I cannot give you a favorite author but I can explain what I like about the authors that I like! The first line of books I think of is The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith. The way she writes keeps me on edge, I'm usually never board with her work and I wish Strange Fate would be released already. And then you have Paul Richard Evans who is a Christian writer but yet he doesn't force his beliefs on the reader. The Five People You Meet in Heaven is one of my favorite books. Kerrelyn Sparks who makes me feel like anything is possible, my best friend could be a Vampire, Demon, or Angel! There are so many different things that I appreciate in the world of fiction. Oh and here's one more thought, Nora Roberts, Robyn Carr, and Susan Wiggs - these female authors have it right. They all now how to get in your heart and how to create a lasting impression. I could go on and on but this is long enough!!!
bprovost14

Post by bprovost14 »

I typically think of the person I am referring an author to. Their personality and interest will determine which author I recommend. I tend to enjoy authors who develop and maintain strong relationships among their characters. I like a real connection among the characters. I have also begun to really enjoy historical fiction, so I am beginning to suggest historical fiction writers now as well.
hollynewhouse
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollynewhouse.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hollynewhouse »

I love an author who is exceptionally well written, has great ability with description, giving just enough to invoke your imagination but not too much as to over inform and there has to be no head hopping in the same paragraphs.
hutteriteteacher
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hutteriteteacher.html

Post by hutteriteteacher »

I am drawn to an author who has great character development, complex storylines, great description without being overly descriptive as to bore the reader and leave nothing up to the imagination, and the author needs to have a well rounded vocabulary.
shilalekh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilalekh.html

Post by shilalekh »

For me, writing style and pace is the most important factor. I have been unable to complete critically acclaimed books because I found the writing boring and sedantry. On the other hand I have enjoyed obscure books because of their writing that touched a chord.
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

If it's a nonfiction book, a shared opinion or life experience. For fiction, the way the author creates and writes their world.
kassielk
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassielk.html

Post by kassielk »

For me it's how well they can draw me into the story and keep me there. I love it when an author transports me to a new world.

Return to “Discuss Authors”