What is your favorite Dickens novel?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mina1015
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mina1015.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What is your favorite Dickens novel?

Post by mina1015 »

Dickens is my favorite classic author. My favorite is Great Expectations. I read it first when I was in the fourth grade. I got the story line. and everytime I have read it after I have gotten a little more from it. I even wrote my extended essay in high school about Pip and Estella: relationships and expectations in the novel.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

David Copperfield is not only my favorite Dickens novel it is one of my favorite novels of all time. It was also Dickens favorite of all his works.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
IsoldeSkogsra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isoldeskogsra.html

Post by IsoldeSkogsra »

Oliver Twist, and A Christmas Carol.
CaitlinE
Currently Reading: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitline.html

Post by CaitlinE »

A Tale of Two Cities. I've got a soft spot for Sidney Carton.
rosec

Post by rosec »

Mine is A Tale of Two Cities, then A Christmas Carol (not sure if it really qualifies as a novel).
sgt1day
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgt1day.html

Post by sgt1day »

It would have to be Great Expectations. Turing a weekly series into a novel, one that is in part auto-biographical and one part social critique was brilliant. I believe writing while in poor health, persevering to conclusion, demonstrates both the author's ability commitment to his craft. The theme of Pip and Estella resonates with me. Dare I say, I have an "Estella" in my past.

“I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.” ...
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

I read a few Charles Dickens books. My all-time favorite novel by this author is A Tale of Two Cities. I love the time and place the story is in. I even love the dramatic irony involved. I could read this book over and over again...but I think I lost that book in school. :(
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Our Mutual Friend
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

I love Great Expectations.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

This is a tough one. I'd have to say that it's A Tale of Two Cities by a nose.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Does no one else love Hard Times? I tend to think of it as his neglected jewel. I had to read it in AP English and fell hopelessly in love with it. It also makes some very thoughtful points about the best ways to educate and raise children.
UnicornEmily

Post by UnicornEmily »

Great Expectations!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I loved Great Expectations and Pip, but A Tale of Two Cities is a close second.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
chauhansaab writer

Post by chauhansaab writer »

A Tale of Two Cities: ( Interesting Novel )
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope,
Before I read the novel this fall, I assumed this sentence was a meaningless series of hyperboles, unworthy of its master. Imagine my mortification to find that, on the contrary, it is a perfectly tuned overture to the story that follows. With each crescendo and fall, it draws the reader into the rhythms of a plot driven by pairs, doubles and echoes, political contradictions and moral extremes. It is, in fact, a model first sentence, one for the ages, and I apologize to it on humanity’s behalf for our having so prodigally abused its conceit in college papers, headlines on the Internet and other venues unbecoming of its excellence.
Paris and London are the two tall cities, and the year is 1775. Inspired by Thomas Carlyle’s influential 1837 study The French Revolution, Dickens conceived of A Tale of Two Cities as a historical novel dramatizing the ties between England and France during that tumultuous period.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

chauhansaab writer wrote:A Tale of Two Cities: ( Interesting Novel )
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope,
Before I read the novel this fall, I assumed this sentence was a meaningless series of hyperboles, unworthy of its master. Imagine my mortification to find that, on the contrary, it is a perfectly tuned overture to the story that follows. With each crescendo and fall, it draws the reader into the rhythms of a plot driven by pairs, doubles and echoes, political contradictions and moral extremes. It is, in fact, a model first sentence, one for the ages, and I apologize to it on humanity’s behalf for our having so prodigally abused its conceit in college papers, headlines on the Internet and other venues unbecoming of its excellence.
Paris and London are the two tall cities, and the year is 1775. Inspired by Thomas Carlyle’s influential 1837 study The French Revolution, Dickens conceived of A Tale of Two Cities as a historical novel dramatizing the ties between England and France during that tumultuous period.
@chauhansaab writer
EXCELLENT POST! I had never considered the comparison of "doubles" within the story itself. And this is your FIRST post? I have Great Expectations regarding your contributions to the forum in the future. [:- )
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Discuss Authors”