Cookbook Authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Terri2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Cookbook Authors?

Post by Terri2 »

Do you have any favorite cookbook authors? It seems to me that if you find a few that you like it might be good to stick with them, because you can trust their recipes. I'd hate to put a lot of effort into following a cookbook recipe to have it turn out that I don't like the taste of it. What do you think? What cookbook authors have you read?
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

I have a brilliant book of Italian cooking called "Silver Spoon" which is about half a foot thick and covers every recipe imaginable. :shock:
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I have all of the "standard" cookbooks. I cannot deal with Rachel Ray. She is too whiney for me. I learned Italian Cooking from my ex-bf's dead mother. She was not dead when I learned ;) I need to find a good Russian cookbook. The one I have is in metrics and no one taught me that :oops:
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I have all of the "standard" cookbooks. I cannot deal with Rachel Ray. She is too whiney for me. I learned Italian Cooking from my ex-bf's dead mother. She was not dead when I learned ;) I need to find a good Russian cookbook. The one I have is in metrics and no one taught me that :oops:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm learning to cook myself and I've been printing off recipes from the FoodNetwork website. I've been building my own cookbook from these recipes. I made a Meatloaf from a Paula Deen recipe that turned out terrific!
My girlfriend has a gazillion cookbooks but the one she uses most often is the Naomi Judd cookbook (I can't remember the exact title, it's something to do with 'Down-Home Country Cookin' or something like that). Anyway, there's a homemade Macaroni & Cheese recipe in that book that puts Kraft to shame. It's wonderful! If anyone wants the name of the book I can dig it out for ya.
megustaleer

Post by megustaleer »

I read once that most people use only two recipes from any cookery book.
I have a couple of hundred cookbooks, and it seems to me that I certainly use fewer than five from any of them on a regular basis. Many of the books I don't 'use' at all, I just browse through them if I feel the need for inspiration.
I will maybe 'try out' several recipes when I first get a cookbook, but usually settle on just one or two to return to time after time.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I have been pretty lucky to have friends that would have me over for dinner - I got all my best recipes from all those times I ate "out." I even keep up my own recipe books. I am now on my third book. Some recipes I just have memorized.

Maybe we need a recipe thread in off-topic?
sarahjoe

Post by sarahjoe »

I've been building my own cookbook from these recipes. I made a Meatloaf from a Paula Deen recipe that turned out terrific?

Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I'll admit, I only pick up cookbooks by actual authors I like mostly out of curiousity. Some of them even make stories out of the recipes - like in one of Patricia C Wrede's books, when the recipe started with "First round up the slaves and build a good big fire (set the oven to some temperature, I don't have the book in front of me). Clean and grease your second best shield." etc. It made me laugh and the recipe made some good brownies too. And "Serve it Forth, Cooking with Anne McCaffery" which is actually a collection of recipes by sci-fi authors, including one recipe by an author who also rehabilitates raptors which included an instruction to verify that the food removed from the freezer was not a frozen rat or mouse.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Dean and Deluca ( amongst hundreds ) by David Rosengarten
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

America's Test Kitchen ihas an awesome cookbook!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

I personally love baking. Cooking is fun too, but baking is definitely my favorite. And one of my favorite baker's is Buddy Valastro from Cake Boss.
He has a couple of desert books out and recently I saw he made a cook book for Thanksgiving and and Italian cook book. I went on Amazon and it looks like he has a couple other interesting recipe books as well. Some of the recipes are a little complicated, but he does a very good job explaining what to do, and the recipes I've tried always taste really good.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
cindo625
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindo625.html

Post by cindo625 »

I love cook books, but I have to admit that Rick Bayless is my favorite. I have learn from his book Authentic Mexican, how to make sinaloa chicken, salsas, and many other dishes at are dear to my heart. Moving from California to Montana I have to learn how to cook Mexican dishes that I just can't find here in Montana. His cooking books are awesome and I recommend all of them.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I just use Pinterest these days. I haven't bought a cookbook in ages!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Post by memory »

I really enjoy having cookbooks in the kitchen. Anne Burrell's cookbook is great because you can hear her in your head while you are making dinner.
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Return to “Discuss Authors”