F. Scott Fitzgerald

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
thisislissa
Bookshelf Size: 0

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post by thisislissa »

I assume most of us were forced to read The Great Gatsby in High School. It was one of my favorite obligatory reads back then though I can’t say I remember it too well now. . .

Recently I picked up The Beautiful and Damned and I’m really enjoying it. Its strange though, some of the best parts are when Fitzgerald puts his characters in these odd situations so that they can be mouthpieces for whatever idea he wants to expound on. I think this is usually considered a bad thing in writers (one imagines the writer briefly possessing the bewildered character like Mr. Smith in the Matrix). Still, what they say while possessed is so charmingly well put that it’s hard to object.

Anyone else reading Fitzgerald these days? What do you guys think?
The victor belongs to the spoils.
Walktherain

Post by Walktherain »

I've only ever read the Great Gatsby and I liked it alot. If you like F.Scott you should really read John O'Hara. He's similar in style, but his novel Appointment in Samarra is way more interesting than The Great Gatsby.
thisislissa

Post by thisislissa »

Thanks Walktherain, I'll be sure to check that out.
The victor belongs to the spoils.
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I didn't read The Great Gatsby in high school. I read it a few summers ago and the following year, my daughter was required to read it for high school English.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I'm reading it right now for school. I'm impressed by the vocabulary, but the story isn't too interesting as of yet.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I really enjoyed his writing style. Through his choice of words, I think he succeeded in making every moment important and interesting.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

The only book that I have read by him was The Great Gatsby in school and it just didn't catch my attention. Guess it wasn't really something I enjoyed reading.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I think The Great Gatsby is sort of overrated. It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't a very interesting read. I used it for an independent reading book in high school, and it was good for the one essay I needed to write. It's unfortunate that there isn't a really likable character, which I know isn't everything in a book, but even Nick got a bit whiny when I was really trying to root for him. There is good symbolism and characterization, just not an enjoyable read. Which may be part of the point, I suppose.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
thenameisZelda
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

I adore The Great Gatsby. I've read it probably 8 times. I've seen two film adaptations of it (though I can't say I liked parts of the newest one.) I currently have This Side of Paradise, The Beautiful and the Damned, and Tender is the Night in my possession. I plan to read them all very soon.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
ladybug31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

I loved The Beautiful and the Damned. Haven't read This Side of Paradise yet, though. Also picked up Tender is the Night about a year ago and haven't gotten past the first chapter. The Beautiful and the Damned was good but, yes, I agree that he tended to use other characters as his mouthpiece. I also wasn't fond of how he painted his wife in that book (it was loosely based on his relationship with Zelda). She came off and shallow and vain to me. Just my opinion.

-- 26 Oct 2014, 23:58 --

I loved The Beautiful and the Damned. Haven't read This Side of Paradise yet, though. Also picked up Tender is the Night about a year ago and haven't gotten past the first chapter. The Beautiful and the Damned was good but, yes, I agree that he tended to use other characters as his mouthpiece. I also wasn't fond of how he painted his wife in that book (it was loosely based on his relationship with Zelda). She came off and shallow and vain to me. Just my opinion.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

I haven't read The Great Gatsby yet, I just haven't had time to pick it up. Glad to see it's got a lot of recommendations from all of you :)
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I have to say that I love how Fitzgerald can make each of his characters so relate-able. I feel as though he had a great gift when it came to character development. He was able to make you feel annoyance or empathy. You wanted to give Jay Gatsby a chance to prove himself because although he was shady he was somehow endearing. You felt bad for Nick in the sense that he was so desperate to fit in but in the same breath you would also become annoyed with him because he would lower the standards of the person he truly was.

Hands down, Fitzgerald was definitely a gifted author.
skcasta+
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2926">All the Light We Cannot See</a>
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skcasta.html
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by skcasta+ »

I bought a book of Fitzgerald's writings that contains many of his novels and short stories. I loved The Beautiful and the Damned, This Side of Paradise, Tender is the Night and other works. Two stories, I would call them novellas are The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and A Diamond as Big as the Ritz. I highly recommend reading more of Fitzgerald's work. The Great Gatsby is good, but don't limit yourself to that one!
dpats24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dpats24.html
Latest Review: "D.H. Lewis - Affairs of Life" by G.L. Fredrick

Post by dpats24 »

I read again for probably the twentieth time, The Love of the Last Tycoon over the summer as it was left in a cabin I rented. I find Fitzgerald can really bring that particular era to life. It's hard to imagine people living that lifestyle. And to think he produced all his works drunk. Currently I am reading the Paris Wife, which brings up the camaraderie between he and Hemingway.
Latest Review: "D.H. Lewis - Affairs of Life" by G.L. Fredrick
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

thsavage2 wrote:I think The Great Gatsby is sort of overrated. It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't a very interesting read. I used it for an independent reading book in high school, and it was good for the one essay I needed to write. It's unfortunate that there isn't a really likable character, which I know isn't everything in a book, but even Nick got a bit whiny when I was really trying to root for him. There is good symbolism and characterization, just not an enjoyable read. Which may be part of the point, I suppose.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I could not relate to any of the characters and I didn't feel sorry for them one bit.
When I read a work of fiction, I want at least one or two characters that I can respect, if not like. Gatsby provided neither.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Discuss Authors”